wrap vs mei tai

VerbingNoun

Reaction score
Been considering both but not sure.
The only reason I favored wraps before was because it came in solid black and I didn't think DH would appreciate carrying around DD if the carrier had a bunch of flowers lol. His spine doctor is hinting at no carriers (except for placing the carseat on the base/stroller) so that doesn't matter anymore.

One of my main concerns is heat. Its already 81F (27ish C?) out and it doesn't look like its going to cool down any time soon :nope: Some reviews I have seen said Moby specifically can get HOT. Not sure about any other brands though. Otherwise the only downside seems to be price (since both carriers require you to learn how to tie them.)

I prefer woven wraps because they are more versatile. I do think the learning curve is a bit steeper than a Mei Tei though. If you're deciding between a Moby (or other stretchy wrap) and a MT I'd go for the MT. It will last you longer. Stretchy wraps become uncomfortable once the baby is around 15 lbs. You also can back carry with a MT but not with a stretchy.

I agree with PP. I have both. I keep a MT in the car for quick ups, like running into the post office or just grabbing a gallon of milk at the store. But for just about anything else I love my wovens.

I would personally recommend a woven - you will get a lot of use out of it, too, as you can get ones that range from newborn to older toddler in weight.

I am using a Moby and I do think they are fantastic with tiny babies (mine was only 6lb6oz so have actually been recommended not to wear her in the Mei Tai I have as apparently she is just a bit too little yet). But I agree, it would get very hot - I get hot in mine and it's coming in to winter here so not overly hot.

If you are just choosing between the Moby or a Mei Tai, though, definitely go for the Mei Tai cause you will both swelter in the Moby :thumbup:

Yeah, Moby is going to be too hot I think. Maybe a nice airy woven like a Vatanai? Or Wrapsody Hybrid? It's a little stretchy like a Moby but can be safely used for back carries too. Or even a cotton gauze wrap that's been broken in already so it's nice and floppy. I have a Wrapsody Breeze and find it very breathable in hot, humid weather. It isn't overly soft in comparison to wovens, but it is still very comfy when wrapped well.

I'm a fan of mei tais but I really prefer them when my babies are a little bigger. I tried a mei tai briefly with DS2 when he was still brand new and it was ok but he definitely seemed happier in a wrap at that time. Now he's 1 year old and mei tais are my friend now, because I am clumsy and totally fail at back carries in a woven. ;)

I was only getting one because I have gift cards to a store that sells Moby and Boba wraps and Infantino MTs lol. I can't seem to find woven wraps (vs stretchy) anywhere besides online :shrug:

Oh yeah it's hard to find wraps in brick and mortar stores! You need a specialty store.

Speaking of specialty stores... you know, I don't know if it's anywhere near you, but there is a store called Granola Babies in Costa Mesa, CA, that actually does sell woven wraps and all kinds of baby wearing things. I haven't been there (I live in VA) but have had some email conversations with the owner Giselle and she is SUPER nice and helpful. If it's anywhere near you, maybe pay a visit! She would probably let you try some things and find something perfect for you.

EDIT:

Another carrier you might want to look into for hot weather if you are open to more structured carriers is Lillebaby Airflow. I've heard nothing but good things about them and they are pretty affordable for ergonomic SSCs. :) They cinch down really tiny so can seat newborns in correct knee to knee positioning, unlike most SSCs.

Verbing are you (or anyone you know well enough to ask) a fairly decent seamstress? You could always attempt to make a wrap/sling on your own. That would help bring the cost down.

Also, when I was looking at the differences between a Moby vs. a Boba stretchy the reason I went for a Boba was because others raved about how much airier it was. I wouldn't recommend carrying LO around in 90-100 F temps, but around the house should be just fine. I love my boba stretchy.

I hope that you find something that works for you!

Speaking of specialty stores... you know, I don't know if it's anywhere near you, but there is a store called Granola Babies in Costa Mesa, CA, that actually does sell woven wraps and all kinds of baby wearing things. I haven't been there (I live in VA) but have had some email conversations with the owner Giselle and she is SUPER nice and helpful. If it's anywhere near you, maybe pay a visit! She would probably let you try some things and find something perfect for you.

EDIT:

Another carrier you might want to look into for hot weather if you are open to more structured carriers is Lillebaby Airflow. I've heard nothing but good things about them and they are pretty affordable for ergonomic SSCs. :) They cinch down really tiny so can seat newborns in correct knee to knee positioning, unlike most SSCs.

I'm all the way in NorCal. Thats like an 8 hour drive one way unfortunately :nope: I will totally check out that other carrier though! Thanks :thumbup:

Verbing are you (or anyone you know well enough to ask) a fairly decent seamstress? You could always attempt to make a wrap/sling on your own. That would help bring the cost down.

Also, when I was looking at the differences between a Moby vs. a Boba stretchy the reason I went for a Boba was because others raved about how much airier it was. I wouldn't recommend carrying LO around in 90-100 F temps, but around the house should be just fine. I love my boba stretchy.

I wish! Nope I come from a long line of clumsy hands lol. We're fantastic at poking ourselves and breaking sewing machines.

My concern with the Boba/Moby is that some people say they lose shape. Unfortunately I think DD will be spending a lot of outings in her stroller simply because its just so hot here. We do plan on acquiring more children in the future so things like a wrap would carry over. Some people are saying the stretchy wraps stretch out? Got pretty confused because people say that a lot about Moby which is 100% cotton but Boba claims to bounce back but is spandex.

I haven't had any issues with my Boba, it's bounced back after a wash. But I've only used it with 1 squish so I couldn't speak on how well it'd hold it's shape after wrapping over a good length of time/multiple babies.

I didn't use my Mei Tai until J reached about 15 pounds, but I've seen other mommas place a rolled up towel/blanket under babys' bum for better positioning. The infantino MT is a pretty good deal, especially if you have gift cards to use up.

I didn't use my Mei Tai until J reached about 15 pounds, but I've seen other mommas place a rolled up towel/blanket under babys' bum for better positioning. The infantino MT is a pretty good deal, especially if you have gift cards to use up.

Thats the thing. I have quite a bit of money in Target gift cars lol. I only go there right now for the pharmacy but we're switching over so...Its not like I will be waltzing in there as much.

I'm in San Diego and hated the Moby because it was so hot. I have an Ergo sport but got an Infantino Mei tai for when baby is small.

How was the MT in the heat?
I'm in Sacramento so I mean...it occasionally gets humid up here cause of the rivers.

I bought both and only used my soft wrap. I used it all the way up until she was ready to go in a more structured carrier and we got a manduca. I actually found the soft wrap easier to use than the mt once I got the hang of it and often just left it on when I too baby out of it.

I have 2 boba wraps. I have been practicing with them and love the comfort. I had to order mine online. Here warmer is better as im in western Canada and our summers are very short lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->