Yay! My birth experience and baby photos

Cowhugger

Reaction score
Hello girls-

It has been two weeks since I had my baby, so sorry it has taken so long to update!

I had a wonderful birth experience- planned c-section which went as smooth as anything. I was a bit nervous for the spinal, but it took so well I didn't feel ANYTHING. The procedure was only 1 1/2 hours from beginning to end, and when my surgeon Marcella was taking the baby out we were all joking and strangely talking about the best place to get a pint of Guinness in Ireland. Saul was blue and yelling, but he soon calmed down. OH went up with the baby to the maternity ward and I was sewn up.

I got the shakes and was very cold, but it felt so good! It was the first time I felt cold in about 6 months. They took me to recovery, where they placed what could only be described as a massive hair dryer blowing hot air on my chest, and covered me with blankets. I begged them to take it all off- the cold had felt soooo good. They looked at me as if I was mental.

Fast forward to back in the room, and I got to hold little Saul. I was in total shock (still am, really!).

The next few days were rather painful, but I was determined to heal as quickly as possible, so I was up and about. I was banned from eating for nearly three days (I was mad with the hunger) and I couldn't drink for TWO days from the end of the op (and I hadn't had anything to drink the night before the op either). They gave me these cotton buds filled with lemon glycerine to 'quench my thirst' (mmm, sucking on cotton buds to relieve thirst?). Oh dear. I ended up cheating on the food thing- when my OH was taking Saul for a walk down the hall I snuck a few chocolate eggs on the second day, but got caught by him (thought it was the midwife till I turned around to see him, with a scolding look on his face). I promptly cracked up laughing which was rather painful on my stitches! :rofl:

Breastfeeding was really hard- Saul is a biter and I ended up in a cycle of him biting my nipples till pieces came off and they bled, then they would heal, then he would do it again. I had a lactation coach and about 8 midwives try to help, but Saul would not nurse regularly. By about the fourth or fifth day I was terrified of him coming anywhere near my nipples. I didn't want to give up breastfeeding but could not go on a minute longer. Let me tell you- this process was an emotional rollercoaster. Actually there aren't any words to describe how I felt through the whole thing. The highs on the occasional successful feeds, then the lows when the nipple shields didn't stop the bleeding, or a particularly rough midwife was shoving my nipple and areola into Saul's mouth despite my yelping with pain, etc. made my confidence soar and crash in matters of minutes. In the end I decided against the midwives' advice to express milk instead, and then bottle feed him that. Which leads me to say to you all to listed to what YOU want to do- don't let anyone try and bully you or pressure you into going one way or the other in terms of this breastfeeding thing. No one can appreciate how hard it can be until they try it themselves. Trust your instincts and do what is right for you! My way has worked just fine for both myself and the baby.

Anyway, I am out of the hospital, and fine. The wound looks great and is healing beautifully. Saul is gaining weight and doing fine.

I have said this before, but for those of you who may be anxious about having a c-section, don't be. It really can be an amazing, positive experience! :happydance:

Here are a few photos for you all.

Thanks for your support over these many months, and good luck to you all who are still awaiting the arrival of their little ones. Hang in there!

Love
Amanda xo :hug:

Attachments

• Saul Birthday at Malta 061.jpg
    Saul Birthday at Malta 061.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC01806.JPG
    DSC01806.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 118
Awww. That sound's like a nice calm birth story :)

He is beautiful hun, congrats x

Awww, your LO is so adorable! Im glad you had a good experience :D

Beautiful. What a perfect birth story!! xx

Congratulations. :flower:

Just goes to show too that even c-sections can vary wildly.

My experience with my last one was completely different to yours, like the no eating thing, didn't have any of that. :D

Thankyou for sharing your story honey. :)

congrats hun...thanks for the updates..and you have a real cute baby

Congratulations hon, he is gorgeous x x

congratulations xx

congrats! I am glad it went so well!! he is beautiful!

Many congratulations. I'm glad it all went so well. Thankyou for the information about breastfeeding too. I am a bit dubious about this, but will now have the attitude that I will do what I can do. Let mother nature take it's course and listen to my own body.
Saul really is a beautiful little boy!!! x x

Congrats on the birth of your son and you've made c-sections sound like they can be a rather nice experience. I'm sure you've calmed a few ladies who will be facing this. x

aww your baby is gorgous! I got all emotional looking at the pics thinking how much i want to see mine and show off pics. sniff sifffeel silly now lol

COngratulations! He is so gorgeous. I am having a c section as well because of pelvic disproportion. 2nd c section after 10 years... Quite anxious but hoping that everything will be alright. God Bless..

https://www.familylobby.com/common/tt2213419fltt.gif

https://www.i-am-pregnant.com/countdown/_minibaby/1230159600.jpg

Congrats he's lovely!!!

Thanks for sharing your story as I have a planned C section in about 2 weeks (unless he turns by then!!!) Hope mine is as positive as yours!!! xx

Congrats he is so so so cute!!! XxX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->