Yolk Sac but no baby

Heather0209

Reaction score
Hey girls! I went in for an early U/S today and saw the yolk sac but no baby. I am 5 weeks 6 days. I know it's early, but my doctor told me in his own way that if there was not going to be a healthy baby we are better off. He has me going back Christmas Eve for a scan. I will be 6 weeks 4 days. Do I still have a chance?

You absolutely still have a chance. 5 week range is still pretty earlier and it's still very likely a heartbeat will come up in the next week or two! Good luck! Baby dust!

Thank you. I'm trying to remain positive, I have 2 children and 3 mc. I worry a lot and I was very hopeful when I went in that I would see a baby and heartbeat. No seeing either really got me worried.

I went in at 6+1 fully expecting to NOT see a baby. The heartbeat doesn't start until 6 weeks so I wasn't thinking I'd see that even. I would have settled for a yolk sac and a gestational sac measuring right on. We did end up seeing a hb and a fetal pole but it was so small the u/s tech couldn't find it until he did a transvaginal scan and even then he had to hunt my uterus for it. At 6 weeks, baby is only the size of a pea and depending on the model of machine, the skill of the technician, and where baby implanted, it's so hard to see much of anything at 5 weeks. Your doctor is just being dumb. I know it's hard to be optimistic when your dr obviously isn't but hang in there. I'm certain you'll see your miracle yet.

Thanks dairymomma. The did do the U/S vag, and the tech looked for a long time but found nothing. I'm praying for a Christmas miracle. I'm hoping waiting 5 days to do another scan will make a difference.

What dairy momma said exactly. I had scans ever two days with nothing but a gestational sac leading up to a scan at 6 weeks 2 days that finally showed baby and heartbeat. It's amazing what a couple of days can do at this point in pregnancy!

I had a u/s at 5w3d and only saw a yolk sac. Every one was telling me before the u/s not to worry if there was no fetal pole/hb at that point because its so early. Even a hospital doc I was talking to in the waiting room told me that. The u/s tech told me it looked great. Then my ob scheduled me for a u/s for 2 weeks later and was talking about blighted ovums! (I've had light brown spotting as well). I was thinking like wow that is ridiculous and inappropriate in my opinion. I know from word of mouth of everyone I've talked to on here and in person that a u/s with just a yolk sac at that point is a good enough sign to continue staying positive. Good luck I think everything is okay with both of us. :)

That does give me hope pandi ;) I was worried that I would just be let down again that soon. I will get my hcg levels back tomorrow so if they look good I will let myself hope.

Emicakess- thank you and I will keep you in my prayers. When do you get to go back for another U/S?

I had an early scan with Thomas at 5+4 due to bleeding and they saw him and got his heartbeat. So imagine my surprise when I went in with Sophie at 6+0 and all they saw was a sack and "possible" yolk. I thought it must not be viable. Went back a week later and there she was, heartbeat and all :).

Had an early scan at 5 + 6 too. Saw sac and yolk and she put me back to 5 weeks. Said that If I ovulate later or implanted later then this would be why. She had no concerns whatsoever...

I've had 4 losses this year and I have no kidlets :( so I'm praying for you too... My next scan is 30th plus I, getting married tomorrow :)

Hi I had an early scan at 6 weeks and was put back to 5 weeks something he could only see the yolk sac & wasn't worried at all. I went back 2 weeks later & there was baby with heartbeat & yolk sac 7 weeks+4. I have another scan booked in due to bleeding but on my last scan he was pretty confident with the progression xx
Good luck Hun, am shocked they even said that too u as its far too early to say if it going to progress or not x

Thanks Minties! That is good to hear, I did not have not this early with either of my living children so I had nothing to compare to.

Notready123- I will be praying for you as well! Im sure you will have good news for the new year! Congrats on the wedding!!! That is so exciting ;)

Bumblebee- Good news that your little one is looking good! Will we get to breath before 14 weeks?! I just can't relax...I had one m/c at 17 weeks so I may worry until the third tri... I'm hoping to have a story like you come Christmas Eve!

My 5+6 scan showed only a yolk sac in the healthy sac which they measured at 6 weeks. They weren't worried, I wasn't worried and sure enough that sac had a baby in by 7+4 on my next scan.

Celesse- That is awesome! Now I'm starting to worry thàt my second scan will be to early too, but the doctor really wanted to get me in before Christmas. I get my HCG levels back today so that should help me decide if its ok to still have hope.

You'll probably have enough grow to see a fetal pole and hb. I think mine wanted to wait a long time as its probably standard NHS practice, but also because I had a second sac which was completely empty. That sac didn't develop anything in it.

With my first, I had a scan at 5+6 and saw a heartbeat, but I know for a fact that I ovulated early in that cycle (day 12) and therefore would have implanted earlier than someone who ovulated later (i.e. 14+ days). It's usually that which makes the difference, so I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. I too lost three before my daughter was born so I completely feel your worry.....but I also learnt that worrying and fretting doesn't change anything, what will be, will be. Good luck and I hope everything turns out well for you.

That does give me hope pandi ;) I was worried that I would just be let down again that soon. I will get my hcg levels back tomorrow so if they look good I will let myself hope.

Emicakess- thank you and I will keep you in my prayers. When do you get to go back for another U/S?
I had my hcg taken three times and that have me hope as they were doubling.

I have my u/s today at 1245 I have to admit I am super nervous. Confident but nervous too

Well I got my HCG results. Only 2,183...that means it took 5 days to double. I have lost all hope at this point :(

Sorry to hear that, I don't know anything about HCG rates as they don't test them in the UK, but am thinking of you and still hope it turns out okay x

Sorry Hun I know that leaves things in the air. My levels really slowed down after 1,200 for some reason so I hope things are better at your scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->