Young Adult suggestions...

meldmac

Mom to an angel and Colin
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind getting a few good YA books to read but not sure which ones are worth looking at. Anyone got any good suggestions? I just finished the first Hunger Games book but want to wait a while to read the others. I've read the Twilight series :sick:, sorry but couldn't stand them! Anything else out there that's worth picking up?

The hunger games trilogy - Suzanne Collins
Birthmarked - caragh m o'brien
Divergent - Veronica Roth
The book thief - Markus zusak
The mortal instruments series - Cassandra Clare
The Maze runner series - James dashner

These are all books I've read quite recently (within the last six months). most are from a sub genre of YA called dystopian/utopian fiction (basically fiction in which the world the plot is based around is worse/better than ours.)

The Apothecary by Maille Meloy
Wildwood by Colin Meloy
an older lovely fantasy series by Susan Cooper called the Dark is Rising (Arthurian-based)
His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman

The Shiver Series by Maggie Stiefvater were very enjoyable for me.
The Hush Hush saga by Becca Fitzpatrick have totally captured my imagination, but the fourth book isn't out until October which feels ages away!
I'm a Twilight and Hunger Games fan, so these might not be your cup of tea.:coffee:

The hungers games is a good read, I found the last part of His Dark Materials and HUGE letdown...it was like it had been written by someone else or was a different book grafted onto the end

Not sure if this was supposed to be YA or not as I picked it up in the New Reads section of my library, but I just finished Wild Girls by Mary Stewart Atwell and was quite impressed. Not your average YA writing and very good story.

Can second His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, I used it as my dissertation piece in Advanced Higher English.

A series by Scott Westenfeld called Uglies, Pretties and Specials. Also The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Both set in a future utopian/distopian society.

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini is also a great read, full of dragons and magic :)

I actually think the young adult section of a book store is the best for sci-fi/fantasy/future world type books.

I'm assuming you've read the harry potter books by now too.
the Narnia books?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"