Young Babies Using Their Legs?

Louisa K

Reaction score
My LO has very strong legs, he can totally hold his own weight and he loves to stand up, he even moves his feet as if he can walk..

I do support him by putting my hands under his armpits but he does take most of the weight..

Is this bad for his legs?

My nan said I shouldn't do that because he'll get 'bow leg'?

Drama :hissy: or is she right??

I don't think he will get bow-legged as all mothers do this!! I read somewhere that at one month of age all babies are able to be on there feet with support, and also they are supposed to have that walking reflex... I will try to find that website again and post it for you!!

Caitlins always been strong on her legs - she stands up at the coffee table etc on her own playing with my mats but when it comes to crawling shes figured rolling her way to places is much easier (lazy like her daddy ;) lol)

Ive not heard that anyway - we've always encouraged her to stand if she wants to which she does she loves it!

I did the same untill I got told her legs would go "bow-legged" too.

Found IT!!

"A Baby's Reflexes..

A baby is born with certain reflexes to protect them during the first few weeks. These reflexes will disappear after a few weeks and be replaced with voluntary movement during baby's development.

Doctors will check these reflexes to ensure his central nervous system is working correctly.

Walking Reflex

If you hold baby in an upright position with his feet touching the floor, his legs will seem to be trying to walk. This reflex will last for about 3-4 weeks, and he won't actually walk until he is around 12 months.

Crawling Reflex

Place baby on his stomach and he will take up a crawling position with his bottom in the air and his legs bent. This lasts for about two months when he will then be able to lie flat.

Search Reflex

Touch baby's cheek with your finger or breast and he will turn towards the source and open his mouth in search of food. This reflex will last for about 12 weeks.

Grasp Reflex

Place your finger in the palm of baby's hand and he will grasp it. This involuntary movement will persist for about 3 months.

Sucking Reflex

Put your (clean) finger in baby's mouth and he will suck on it. This reflex ensures he will be able to feed.

Diving Reflex

If baby is placed in water - either during a water birth or in a swimming pool - his throat will close so that he does not swallow the water. This means that baby will not drown if born in water, and he will also be a natural swimmer. This reflex will last for about 2 months, or longer if you take him swimming.

Babinski's Reflex

Stroke the sole of baby's foot and his big toe will curl up and the other toes will spread out. This lasts for about two years."

https://ezinearticles.com/?A-Baby-Is-Born-With-Certain-Reflexes&id=14102

Both my daughters are like this , ella loves nothing more then standing , i have also heard the 'bowed leg' comment but i never listen. If they can do it and they like it why not! Never done my first daughter any harm! :)

Yeah I always thought I was helping to make his legs nice and strong... He holds his head up so proud when he stands up, like look at me im a big boy.. lol

Bella stands up supported as well. I've never heard it will make them bow legged.

Seth is very strong with his legs as well and he does that walking thingy too. They tested him at the hospital before we left to make sure he did that though so I think it must be pretty normal. He's very good with his head too

xxx

Lilly has always been dying to walk!!! From a very young age she's been putting weight on her legs.

Supporting them while on their feet will not make them bow-legged. I read in my book from Erica's pediatrician that bow-legged'ness is actually genetic, and its good to support babies while on their feet. Erica has been standing for a while, and loves being on her feet. Erica is very strong, and probably more now than if we had never let her try to stand. She can support her weight, we balance her. Thats great your little man is standing with you!

my friends lil girl has really strong legs but she wont hold her cause she heard she would get bow legs Rileys lazy so never had that to think about he will only do it for a few seconds now lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->