young mum BF, is it an issue?

stuffymuffy

Reaction score
I'm 17 and 16 weeks along. Almost every person who found out I'm planning on BF exclusively has had something negative and well, quite cruel to say about it, and the reason being is that I'm too young:growlmad: Even close family has said that I'll get too embarrassed by it and quit, or it's just not right for mum's to BF. I can't believe what I"m hearing! It's what is best for my LO and I don't see what the big deal is. Does anyone honestly see something wrong with it?

there is nothing wrong with bfing in any way, shape or form regardless of age or background!
i just want to congratulate you in advance for already thinking about what's best for your baby & considering the option of bfing.
being a 'teen' mum is hard enough at the best of times, without people not being fully supportive of the choices you may or may not make for your baby... keep researching into bfing & keep talking to those around you about it; they will come round eventually.
there are lots of younger mums on here who bf, so i am sure they'll be happy to offer some support to you aswell.
good luck & best wishes for 2010 & with your baby when it comes :hugs:

No, good on you! I think it's wonderful. Actually the breast feeding consultant I see said the teen mums are the best bfers because they're used to being told what to do! LOL. But seriously, more teen mums stick at it than older mums. Go for it, good on you!

I had similar comments as well! Don't see how being a teen mum and breastfeeding should matter! Just because i'm young doesn't mean i'm too young to breastfeed! Lol. Ignore the comments hun and do what ever is best for you! I'm not embarrased - i got my boobs out in the doctors today to give her a feed! Lol. Best of luck x

If I were you, I'd remember these negative remarks and turn it into a positive. Prove to them and everyone else that they are wrong. I had several negative remarks as well with people telling me I'll give up and won't keep at it. But it is those comments that made me grit my teeth and stick to it in the worst times. Because I don't want them to be right. :haha: Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!! :hugs:

Thanks everyone, I was actually considering FF after all of the horrid things people were saying :blush: But I think that it's what is best for my LO so that's all that matters.

What the hell does you age have to do with anything? Thats just silly.
Prove 'em wrong, honey.

People are stupid.
I had so much negativity when I was going to bf at 18, from 'it's too hard', 'you'll ruin your boobs' to 'you won't be able to out/get drunk' etc, etc.
Any bf problems were dealt with from family and friends to health professionals with 'give her a bottle'.
I managed 4 weeks exclusively until her first growth spurt, where as all my family etc had formula fed I had no idea what was happening when she seemed so hungry wanting to feed so much. I bought a can of formula, and then my health visitor gave me the
'all my young girls think they can do it all until about 4 weeks and then the proverbial hits the fan etc'.
She advised me to mix feed and that was the beginning of the end for us, mix feeding until my milk supply dwindled and she was completely FF by 6 months.
2nd time around I was 20 when I fell pregnant. Thank god for the internet lol, although things had improved in the advice by health care professionals due to a breastfeeding push in the healthcare system, family and friends attitudes hadn't changed much. Still, this time i made sure I did the research myself, I knew what to expect and was able to make my own decisions and rebutt the rubbish that people trotted out as fact.
My youngest was exclusively breastfed for 6m until weaned, then along with food until she was nearly 2, despite the very first thing my mil saying when she was born being
' she's a big baby, some babies are just too big and hungry to breastfeed you know'.
I'd definitely advise anyone planning to breastfeed to do your reading, get involved in a peer support group (even an online one) and find a breastfeeding friendly healthcare provider and have faith in yourself.
You can do it.

I can't believe anyone would say that to you!! :grr: I think it's great you're going to give it a shot, it really is great and much easier in the long run than bottle feeding! It'll be nice for you to able to rub it in their faces in a few months time when you and LO are happily bfing everyday :thumbup:

Nothing wrong with it at all, sweets... you should be proud of yourself for wanting to give your LO the best start possible.... I am, as Im sure lots of other girls on this site would be.
Sticking with BFing is the best thing Ive done for my little boy... its very hard at some points, but over all I love the bonding and I love knowing Im giving my LO the best! Not to say that if you FF it wouldnt be "the best" but you know what I mean! :haha:
Do whatever YOU are comfortable with and whatever YOU want to do... even if your "so young" it doesnt mean you arent capable of making such a decision (afterall, theyre your boobs ;)) nor does it mean you cant give it a try.

Good luck and congrats on your bump!! :flower:

:hugs::hugs:

GRRR! How dare they try to put you off! :trouble:

Like Penny said -- Prove 'em wrong!!! :dance:

I was 18 when I got pregnant, 19 when LO was born and now i turned 20 last month and still trying to BF, pumping currently as LO on nursing strike, but hopefully will get him back on the boob. Ignore everyone, my family were really good, but my non mummy friends thought it was gross and still do. My OH wasn't very surportive either, as he dont like BF, but he has neva said anything bad either. You do wat youbwanna do hun, screw every1 else :) xx

It has nothing to do with your age!! Give it a shot, personally I've found it extreamly demanding but sooo worth it. I was 20 when finn was born and just because im young doesnt mean that my milk isnt as good as anyone elses or that im not as determined to do it as anyone else!
Like everyone else said... Prove them wrong and show them how great your LO gets on with your boobie milk!

I think because ff is such the norm nowadays, its expected that 'young/teen mums' go straight to ff. Prove them wrong hun and go 4it x

Don't you just love "people"?!! LOL.

I think it's brilliant that you are considering BFing - good for you. If you ever want any encouragement, advice, information or just to moan that your LO has just kicked you in the boobs (for the seventeenth time that day!) - we're all here :)

Good luck to you and your LO :baby:

Crazy fools :wacko:

Ignore them, adopt us instead... and if they give you any more *hit tell us and we'll send the boys 'round :rofl:

x

Surely if your body's mature enough to make a baby then it's mature enough to breast feed!

My MIL (and strangely a neighbour I hardly know) has been on at me to put Harvey on a bottle since he was born. Little does she know that it's partly her objection to bf that keeps me going through the tough times. The minute someone tells me to do something, the rebel in me kicks in lol. However, last week MIL told me that Harvey was thriving and "it just goes to show, maybe breast milk is best for them" I waited till I got home to do my victory dance :rofl:

You go ahead and prove them wrong!

Really sorry you've had sych negative responses... as others have said, prove them wrong!

BF is not just best for baby, it's a lovely cuddly bonding experience, and saves so much hassle ewith bottles, too...

plus u get out of doing everything! and get waited on! oh can u do this...pass me this...make me this... lol and plus lots of hugs with baby! x

At the end of the day you are choosing to do what is best for YOU and your BABY. Good on you for wanting to give BF a shot. Can't believe sociaty these days. I'm a young mum and although I bf, I tend to give EBM in public, but either way I get frowned apon, if I get my boobs out strangers disaprove and if I give a bottle it's wrong too! Only you know what is right for you hun and we shouldn't be made to feel this way x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->