young mum BF, is it an issue?

I'm 19, I was 18 when I was pregnant and had the same, everyone doubting me, saying I wouldn't do it, or not for long if I did.

My LO is 6mo and we have no intentions of stopping anytime soon! Keep ya head on and you do what you want to do! Don't listen to anyone else when their negative, it's their problem with BF not yours x

Too young? If you're old enough to have a baby, you're old enough to BF.. I've never heard such tosh :shock:
Take no notice, I have received a few nasty comments from my peers (I'm 22) for still breastfeeding my baby but I don't care! Oh and well done for deciding to give BF a go :hugs:
I will say though that young girls BFing is VERY unusual, and it's even more unusual to get extended breastfeeders. My HV is slightly shocked when I said I was still BFing but in a good way. I hope you have a really supportive HV because mine has done nothing but congradulate me.

Take no notice :hugs: i bf my son for 6months and i was 14 x

i was 19 when i had my 1st and bf her for 3 weeks. i didnt know much about bfing (cluster feeding, growth spurts, comfort sucking etc) so i gave up. this time round i was determined to go more than 3 weeks. im 22 now and have been bfing my twins for over 5 months. ignore everyone else and do what you want to do. i think its brill u want to bf regardless of age or anything else. :thumbup:

Just goes to show how sensible young mums can be... I never realised how young some of you are, you are so wise and helpful!

Well, I'm 21 and haven't had anyone say anything negative, but people are quite shocked by my choice to BF exclusively. Even doctors.

Yo u have nothing to be embarrassed about. You should be PROUD to be so young and yet make such a wise decision. You shouldn't be the one who's uncomfortable, just because they don't want you to do it. Flaunt it, let THEM be uncomfortable.

They sound really ignorant. I AM SO SHOCKED by that. You'd think that, with all the medical knowledge available today, people would understand the value of breastfeeding. Mom and Baby have a PERFECT system going on. Why mess with that? "It's not right to bf", My ass...

Now, not to say anything about those who do choose to formula feed, but to say that it's "wrong" to bf is just plain stupid.

My youngest was exclusively breastfed for 6m until weaned, then along with food until she was nearly 2, despite the very first thing my mil saying when she was born being
' she's a big baby, some babies are just too big and hungry to breastfeed you know'.
Which is a complete myth! My son was 10lbs 14oz and has been exclusively bf-d and now weighs about 19lbs.

Go for it, stuffymuffy! You know what the best thing is for your bubba and I'm sure you will make a big success of it. Sounds like the hardest bit will be convincing those around you that it's the best thing. Make sure you come back and ask whatever questions you have. It really is one of my favourite parts of being a mummy and I'm going to miss it once J is too old.

Exactly. Another classic was my sil saying that i was starving my bubba because her kid was on solids at 6 weeks and mine was still on just breastmilk at 6months, seriously, you could've taken one look at my little fattie and thought I was feeding her pureed big macs.

I too had a lot of negativity when I had my DD. It was the cause of us weaning early. I had regrets and guilt for a longtime. I educated myself with DS and plan to BF this new baby. It will get tough sometimes and if you aren't prepared those negative comments may hurt your BF relationship. Do what's best for you and baby. Have a strong support system for the hard times and you'll be fine. Good luck!

I'm worried that the lack of support from most of my friends and family will start to get to me. I would really like to BF exclusively until I go to uni. My family is very helpful when it comes to little ones but can be over bearing, they managed to get my sister to stop nursing after just 4 weeks because nosy aunts didn't like they couldn't help feed my nephew:dohh:
But I've done quite a bit of research on BF and I really think it's what is best for my LO.

I'm worried that the lack of support from most of my friends and family will start to get to me. I would really like to BF exclusively until I go to uni. My family is very helpful when it comes to little ones but can be over bearing, they managed to get my sister to stop nursing after just 4 weeks because nosy aunts didn't like they couldn't help feed my nephew:dohh:
But I've done quite a bit of research on BF and I really think it's what is best for my LO.

Funny you say that cuz it was my overbearing mom and aunt that caused me to wean DD. It was the times when she had a growth spurt and wanted to BF every hour and I was exhausted that those comments got to me. I don't mean to sound negative but I just want you to be prepared and get a headstart on those pushy ladies. I had to with DS and we BF'd for 11 months. They don't stand a chance with this baby lol.

Then just keep this in your head at all times!! It sounds like it could be tough for you but perhaps start thinking up other tasks that the aunts can do for you to make them feel involved - cleaning, cooking, bringing you drinks and food while you're pinned to the sofa, changing the channel on the telly!!

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

Of course you can BF if that's what you want to do. The second you become a mum, (which IMO is when you get your BFP!) you make all the decisions and call the shots when deciding how to feed your baby. So if that's the way you want to do, good on you and go for it! If other people want to feed your baby, suggest they make you a sandwich or something, as the baby will get the benefit a few hours later in your milk!

I was 17 when I fell pregnant with my Son, and 18 when I had him and I was subjected to all the crap that's been thrown at you. But like someone else said, the rebel in me kicked in and made me even more determined to BF him, and I'm soooo glad I did.
I was 19 when I had my first daughter and I BF her too (nobody said anything that time though!)

Funnily enough though, here I am at almost 28 and I'm being told yet again to stop BF so other people can look after the baby, so MIL can have her overnight blah blah blah..

I didnt have another baby to leave her with people! Babies grow up so fast, I'm trying to get in as many cuddles as possible now before she gets too interested in emptying my cupboards lol.

Good luck with your baby, and I hope it all works out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->