Your 10 MO Please help!

mrscupcake

Reaction score
I started TW my baby at 4 months due to reflux. He started off great and he would eat almost anything and was really good with finger foods too. Then at around 7 months he started teething and it became a nightmare getting him to eat anything! he also got a couple of colds which didnt help his appetite. since then its just been a big problem getting him to eat or drink!!! I read today he should now at 10 months be having foods more solid and not to mash anymore. Well were still at stage 1, he doesnt like any texture and will only have smooth foods and he only seems to like broccoli, yogarts and one ellas kitchen pouch. Thats about it. He use to like organic finger food crisps but hardly has them now either. It takes ages to feed him, i have to distract him with toys, which eventually he'll throw on the floor and i have to find other toys to keep him distracted, only then will he feed. i dont know where it all went wrong because we started really well and he tried so many different flavours and textures..but now its a nightmare. he hardly drinks either. i also read today that he should start feeding himself now, tried that today which was a complete disaster, he just kept throwing the spoon on the floor and the food went everywhere, he put him hands in the bowl and ended up with food all over the floor, the chair, his head, face all over his clothes! I brought a bowl and spoon into the living room for him to play with and get a bit more use to it. do anyone else have these problems or any suggestions?

Just bumping this so I can try to remember to reply later as i don't have the time right now, and hopefully others will answer too!

All i can say is at the moment stop trying to spoon feed him and just keep offering finger food. Don't worry at all about bowls, plates and cutlery at this stage (my LO is only just starting). It just tends to distract them. I know it's hard but try and relax around him and food, they pick up very easily you are stressed.

Do you eat as a family?, if not at least try 1 or 2 meals together and try to ignore him to a point. Chat to your OH, dog, cat, budgie etc keep it all calm and try finger foods. I.e toast fingers, cooked carrot sticks, sweet potato sticks, banana etc. Try not to focus on the fact he isn't eating as long as he is having milk he will be just fine. As soon as he gets upset take him out the highchair so he doesn't see any negativity towards it. In time you may be able to start feeding him again or he can try feeding himself with a spoon.

Embrace the mess, put something on the floor, leave him in just a vest or even naked, just don't get upset, let him learn and enjoy food. Have fun take loads of pics of the mess, it does get easier my LO doesn't spread it around anymore. He eats it or the dog gets fed it doesn't go anywhere else!, i hope i have been a little help.

Thanks, I will try and give more finger food. Often he throws it on the floor when i have tried and he hates anything sticky or slimy like banana. Will percivere though and see what happens :) xx

K said pretty much everything i was going to. I agree that sometimes you just have to relax and roll with it and accept that there will be mess and sometimes you're going to be sitting at the table for up to an hour. I've actually come to enjoy it as a way for us to chill out for awhile without me having to be constantly chasing him around the house and when we eat as a family it's nice time to talk and catch up with my hubby.

As for the feeding himself, if you want to give him a bowl of sloppy messy food he can get his hands into then let him go for it. Spread an old shower curtain or table cloth under the highchair and sit back. Don't expect him to know how to dip and load his own spoon yet either. A lot of babies don't figure that out until well into their second year. Try loading the soon yourself and then handing it to him to feed himself, and so what if he sticks it in his ear? He'll get there! You can also give him finger foods dipped into stuff. It's easier for them to handle and mimic doing themselves.

Hopefully he gets over his fussy phase soon and starts eating you out of house and home!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->