Your 4 year old

sabby52

Mother, Nanny
Reaction score
Hi ladies I was wondering if anyone would like to tell me what your 4 year old is doing ?? I am talking about a 4 year old that hasnt started school yet, Dec is 4 but he wont start school until Sept this year, I know some 4 year olds may have started school last Sept and I guess they would be a bit further ahead than Dec as they have already had nearly a full year at school.

I just want to know if I am doing enough for Dec and make sure he will be ready for school this year.

So if you dont mind could you tell me things like, can your 4 year old write, read, how far they can count to, simple adding, reading, spelling ??

Thanks ladies :flower:

Madeleine's nearly five now, but before she started school she could count to ten, and write the letter M. that was it, the rest of the time she just played, she really liked nursery and had a few friends, and she could draw a stick figure.

My sin was 4 in the august as he started in september, he couldn't read or write. They asked though that he was able to dress him self, possibly write his own name, he could count to about 10-15. But they do all the phonics and sounds in reception. Two weeks aft he started school the eldest n his class turned 5.

Hi
Isobelle is 3 next month
She can count to 20 and from 10 backwards
Copy her name when written infront of her or as i describe how to write the letter if that makes sence
She can identify letters as well when asked to press a letter on the laptop she mainly gets it right
She mainly gets herself dressed goes toliet on her own etc

Aaron was 4 in January and would have been due to start school in September (he won't be going to school).

He knows the names and phonic sounds of all upper case and lower case letters. He can read most CVC words and a few other sight words.

He writes mainly in upper case (still struggles with lower case at the moment) and can write his name and very basic sentences.

He can count to 20 on his own and to 100 with a number chart in front of him. He can do mental addition up to about 3+3, can add up further with manipulatives and can write out addition sums. He can also subtract and do very simple division or multiplication with manipulatives.

Hope that helps, but I don't think they really need to know much academic stuff before they start. :)

Boy isn't 4 til July but will be going to school in September.

He can write his name, count to 20, realises that numbers go up to 100 but can't recognise them or count up to them. He'll occasionally say 'that's 63' or something random though.

He can dress himself including shoes and zip up his coat. I think that's the thing schools most appreciate!

He's recently got into doing reading eggs (I think freckleonear's son does it too?) and it's amazing. He loves playing it and now recognises lots of letters and knows the sound they make. Although he doesn't show any interest in writing words yet, he'll ask me to write or point out a letter so he can copy it.

I feel like he's learnt all of it without being pressured and without doing anything at preschool...I just hope his enjoyment and eagerness to learn continues at school.

Daniel was 4 in August - he started school 3 weeks later.
At this point he could:

Count from 1-10
Write the letter D
Read the letter D
Dress himself, but not socks, if he wanted to.

TBH from everyone i've spoken to at Daniel's school, the less they know the better. As Esther is an October birthday i would expect her to know more when she starts school than Daniel did but i won't actually teach her.

Thanks everyone, I am so happy to see that Dec seems to be on track, so far he can

write and spell his name
count to 30, count from 10 backwards
can write all numbers up to 20
can count with a little help to 50
do simple addition and subtraction
knows all lower case letters, we havent started phonics, so he doesnt know the sounds.
He knows simple words, like dog, cat, do, am
Can dress himself, do zips, buttons ect, he cant tie laces yet.

He cant read yet, the words he knows are just from seeing them so often
There is no way he could muliply or divide, my niece is in p5 and has just started division, so I dont expect him to know that for a while yet lol and my nephew has is in p2 and they havent even tackled muliplying yet so I guess it will be a while before he knows that to.

It is fantastic to see how different all our 4 year olds are and how well they are all doing.

Could I ask, could anyone tell me a good site/book/Ipad app for starting to learn phonics and learning to read ?? Thanks xx

definitely reading eggs for phonics and learning to read!

Alphablocks on the BBC website is something that we've used with Daniel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->