Your Favourite FREE Activities ... Or Low Cost

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
What activities do you like doing that are FREE or even little cost?

On your own
With partner ... keep it clean :lol:
Friends
With the kids

I love walking/light trailing which I've not been great keeping up with but plan to again soon.

Cycling (just a case of start up cost then free).

Beach walks with kids collecting shells.

x

:lol:

I pref low maintenance gardens, I kill everything!

On my own, I like to windowshop in antique stores. I can't really afford to furnish my house with antiques (nor would I really want to when I have 4 kids 8 and under :haha:) but it sure is fun to wander through a shop full of them.
In the winter, I like to find a cozy seat and plop down for a few hours with a good book, some dark chocolate, and a cup of tea or cocoa to sip on. Not something I get to do real often with four kids but it's still fun to do when I can.

When it comes to family time, we often go for hikes in the woods near our home or we visit other families in our area. DH is related to seemingly everyone so we have lots and lots of cousins to visit when we have the time.

Also, the moms in my church have a standing weekly coffee date. It's usually a weeknight and we meet at someone's house after the DHs have gotten home from work so they can watch kids. That week's hostess puts on the coffeepot or tea kettle and everyone else brings a snack to share. In the summer, we will sometimes meet at lunchtime at a local park and everyone brings a picnic lunch. The ladies visit while the kids run and play.

On my own I like gardening, walking and mountain biking ... anything outdoors really!

With family we enjoy days out walking in the countryside, coast, bike rides, visiting places, finding a stream to paddle in and look for small fish, treasure hunts, parks, picnics. We're v lucky in that we live on the edge of a national park and on the coast so there's lots of outdoor stuff to do. I keep costs down by getting half price vouchers off the radio for nearby attractions. We have a discovery pass for our nearby forest, so can visit as many times as we want through the year. Last year we had HHA membership, which was about £100 outlay, but we visited lots of different properties around here and other places whilst we were on holiday.

We go camping too, which makes a cheapish holiday once you've bought all the stuff you need!

I get a bit stuck for stuff to do in winter when the weather is bad though.

On my own, I'm a long distance runner. Breaking a sweat and pushing my body to its limit is a stress buster for me.

With my DH, we love to go out dancing and, since we are both >21, we get in free to most dance clubs/bars.

With the kids, we love going to the beach. We live on the Gulf coast so there is water all around us. Also our community has story time at the library which our youngest two really enjoy.

I don't really have any hobbies on my own I really need to find something though!

With oh really like to binge on a good boxset everynow and then.

With the girls/family time we love going to the woods at the top of the road we build dens and even made a little camp fire before it was lovely! Can't wait for the warmer weather so we can do this again x

I recently got back into reading books nothing too serious more just fiction light hearted reading for now . I really want to get into scrapbooking but still don’t know where to start I posted a thread a while back about this .. must re visit lol

With OH we like to play video games or a good box set / film .

With the girls we bake together cakes , cookies etc . Also like to take them the library and gardening we let them pick out flowers to plant . DD1 actually grew a tomato plant last year and got loads of tomatoes from it !

On my own I love reading books.
With the kids we go to a lot of parks and do lots of walking :)

On my own: way to many things to list here! Pretty much anything outdoors and active. I compete in triathlons so lots of run/bike/swim training. I play soccer once a week. Long distance/ultra trail running, hiking, mountain biking, climbing in the summer. Downhill and cross-country skiing, snowshoeing in the winter. Working out in my home gym. Daily yoga. I am part of a book club that meets monthly so I read at least one book a month. I like to start my own businesses so usually am working on some sort of idea. Usually studying something, currently I am studying to be a postpartum and prenatal fitness instructor, I also study spanish when I get a chance, or do continuing education for work (I am a vet nurse). I guess a lot of what I study isn't free/cheap but I enjoy it! Once a week when my OH is out playing hockey I have friends over for drinks in our hot tub after the kids go to bed (Hot Tub Tuesdays!).

With my kids: pretty much all of the above. I hike/ski/run/bike/yoga/exercise with them whenever possible as I think it teaches them healthy habits. We do playgroups twice a week, ($2 each time to cover the cost of coffee/tea), kid friendly workout classes three times a week ($9 per class). Lots of swimming (we have a family membership to the local pool which isn't cheap, but since I take the kids at least twice a week and I go on my own at least twice a week it works out to save us a ton of money as opposed to drop in prices). Once a week we go to a mommy climbing group where there's a play area for the kids and the moms get to boulder/climb ($10). We do a lot of sledding/playing in the snow/skating/indoor playgrounds in the winter (all free), walks in the woods/playing on the beach/going to the park in the summer. Now that my DD is older she is really enjoying helping with our garden, we've started seedlings in our indoor greenhouse and she is obsessed with watering them and checking on how they are doing so that is really fun, hopefully she will continue to help once we move them all outside and that can be a fun daily activity. We do the library every other week or so to exchange books/play with toys/go to story time. We are getting chickens, goats, and sheep this year and my DD is beyond excited for that, so tending to the animals will be a daily activity for the kids to participate in as well.

With my OH: since having kids we've never done anything without them! Before they were born lots of outdoor activities (hiking/skiing/climbing/etc). We still do all of those things but it's mostly with the kids in tow. We used to be big campers but it's been difficult with the littles, it was ok when my DD was <1 year old, but every time we tried to go last summer she was scared and screamed most of the nights. This summer we plan to "practice" camping in our yard so hopefully we can get out for more than just day trips this year! We like to sit in the hot tub with a glass of wine after the kids go to bed. We do a lot of yoga together (but usually the kids are around/participating too!). We need to find more things to do together that don't involve the kids, but our youngest is only 9 months so we aren't comfortable with a babysitter (and closest family is 4 hrs away).

I wish my kids would love the outdoors more ... well they do if they don't have to walk too far!

Buy good flashlights and go on a walk through the woods/mountains at night. A pause here and there to admire the night sky will take her mind off the fear of bears, mountain lions, alligators, chupacabra, etc.. It's a rush, romantic, you can do it high, and it's a great way to stay in shape.

My kids and I love gardening. They help me water the plants, put the seeds, make plant markers and a lot more. They also love destroying the garden sometimes by removing the petals of flowers and digging the soil to look for earthworms and bugs. Just recently, I bought a Cymbidium plant from Orchid Republic and my little girl removed some of the blooms because she wanted to make a bracelet.

City parks)playgrounds), is what we do most often, or the local forest park , riding our bikes there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->