YOUR reasons for breastfeeding!

helent1983

Reaction score
I was thinking today about the reasons why I breastfed. I know it is the best for baby but when I first started out I can honestly say the reason why was the following:-

1. Didn't know any different - obviously I knew you could formula feed but I hadn't read about how to do it and HV hadn't explained so I just breastfed.

2. Didn't have any feeding equipment - I just didn't buy any while I was pregnant.

3. Money - I was going through a lot of money problems (well still am) when Archie was first born and with the cost of bottles, formula, steralising equipment it just seemed silly when breastfeeding is free.

The question of not being able to breastfeed never crossed my mind - I just thought everyone could.

Now the above don't matter as I think breastfeeding is the best thing ever for bonding, giving the best to baby etc!!

What are your reasons for breastfeeding?

xx

I want to.
Its free.
Its full of good stuff for LO.
I missed out on it with my first LO, so it was extra important to me.
Its so cozy.
I mean, there are tonnes of reasons...

1) It is what mums do in my family. There was never any other consideration.
2) I'm also too tight to pay for formula
3) I liked the idea of having that special bond with my baby.
4) I'm not happy with the idea of giving a synthetic version of something I produce which is more tailored to her and the environment

In the end there was a 5) I ended up having her prematurely and I thought, if I'm such a failure as an oven, the least I can do is give her a decent meal which gives her a great start in life.

Best decision I ever made as she is banging on the weight, is never ill and it is so lovely to sit and feed her.

it started with knowing that it was the best for my LO.

Then we had a bad birth experience and I got stubborn about having something go the way that I had planned. That got me through the first 8 weeks of bf hell.

Now there are sooooo many reasons, it's hard not to sound preachy when I talk about it :)

Most natural
Best for LO (benefits are endless)

Other Bonuses, but not deciding factors:
Better bonding
Cheap
Helps me loose weight hehe

1 5) I ended up having her prematurely and I thought, if I'm such a failure as an oven, the least I can do is give her a decent meal which gives her a great start in life.

You are NOT a failure!! I bet you are a fantastic mum! xx :hugs:

1 5) I ended up having her prematurely and I thought, if I'm such a failure as an oven, the least I can do is give her a decent meal which gives her a great start in life.

You are NOT a failure!! I bet you are a fantastic mum! xx :hugs:

Oh I'm doing great at the mum thing, I was just useless as an oven! :haha:

But certainly in the days when she was in NNICU, I did become very very upset at the thought she might not be able to do it as I felt awful that I'd let her down. I'm pretty much over it now though!

Thanks for the kind words though. xx

My main reasons were:
1) it's normal in my family
2) it's natural not artificial
3) my university lecturers taught why it is best

Of course there are loads of other reasons too! Free and so convenient after the first few weeks of hard work.

I honestly didn't know people CHOSE to formula feed, everyone in my family breastfed it was just normal so I didn't know any different...but I wasn't successful the first time around and it made me want to nurse even more.

So just because I wanted to
the bond is like no other
the benefits for baby and mom (too many to list)
I just felt it was the very best thing I could do for them

I just want the best I can possibly give to my baby and I love the bonding experience of it. Which is also why we co-sleep now. It's just an all around amazing thing that not only can we make this beautiful baby, but we can feed them and nurture them too. :cloud9: I think I'd be really really disappointed if I couldn't breastfeed any of my kids.

I chose to breastfeed initially because it's healthiest for babies - Darwin was a preemie, and the hospital actually recommended it. When we had trouble they sent a lactation consultant, and the NICU nurses helped as well, all the while telling me how good it was for him.

Now I breastfeed because...
It's the healthiest food for him
It's free and it's convenient (no need to pack bottles, sterilize things, etc.)
It forces me to sit down and spend quality time with my son even on the busiest days
It has given us an incredibly close bond
It provides him with comfort when he needs it
It's healthy for me as well - it's helping me lose weight, makes me eat healthier, drink more water, and statistics say women who breastfeed have less chance of developing breast cancer
Last but not least, it makes me feel good inside to know that I'm providing healthy food for my son, and overcame one heck of a difficult challenge. I nearly quit more than once, and I'm so proud of myself for persevering!

It's free and I'm tight. :)

It's easy and I'm lazy - I don't have to get out of bed to do it at night. :)

I can eat more cake. :)

More importantly:

I think it's best for her - natural and the right nutrients.

We can bond better.

No one else can do it, so I get her back when she needs me. (Can be a drawback too...).

I love the feeling of doing it.

I'm so proud that I have grown her this much all by myself.

When she breaks off to smile at me mid-feed - no one else gets that!

All the reasons listed. The only benefits I saw in FF straight away when I looked at it were for me only and I felt it was selfish for me to not do what nature intended and give my son the best start I could, even if it was just the colostrum in the first few days. I knew it may not work out and kept an open mind but l BF for over 5 months.

It's free and I'm tight. :)

It's easy and I'm lazy - I don't have to get out of bed to do it at night. :)

I can eat more cake. :)

More importantly:

I think it's best for her - natural and the right nutrients.

We can bond better.

No one else can do it, so I get her back when she needs me. (Can be a drawback too...).

I love the feeling of doing it.

I'm so proud that I have grown her this much all by myself.

When she breaks off to smile at me mid-feed - no one else gets that!

:haha:took the words right out my mouth :haha:

my initial reasons were for health and wellbeing (i'm lactose intolerant a there was a chance he would be too)

the after chatting with my sil's who both ff, realised i'd be too lazy to ff
also too tight to pay for formula - why bother paying for something your body produces for free (we're also reusable nappy users)

also since starting bf i love the bonding experience, and i love the fact that only i can do it and it's providing everything he needs and thriving on it!! :happydance:

My initial reasons were that it was best for baby so worth doing if at all possible.

Since then:

- much too cheap to buy formula for something I can do for free
- too lazy - I've seen friends faffing about with bottles. By the time they're ready to start feeding their LOs, Aisling's already finished! :thumbup:
- it's a lovely bonding thing, especially that little smile, she then loses the nipple, panics and desperately hunts for it again! :lol:
- it's a great sure fire way to calm her if she's upset
- it's a great excuse to sit down for a bit and do nothing :D

honestly?
1) it's free & I'm broke & refuse to let my OH pay my way, lol.
2) I'm too lazy to faff around with bottles.
3) I was curious & wanted to try it & figured if it was okay, I'd carry on & if it hurt I wouldn't... It didn't hurt & H seemed to love it & he was all warm & cute, so I carried on!
How silly are those reasons?!!! :rofl:

But more seriously, it had been hammered into me by pretty much everyone in my life that breast is best & neither me nor my OH were BFed & have terrible relationships with our mothers, so I wanted my child to have a better bond with me... Not that I'm saying BFed babies are better bonded to their mummies, but I just think the lack od interest & closeness from our own parents made myself & my OH more determined to have an extra bond with our son & feel that BFing can help us achieve that... I actually reckon if my OH could lactate, he'd SO be there offering up his man-boobs!!!!!!!!! :dohh:

I actually reckon if my OH could lactate, he'd SO be there offering up his man-boobs!!!!!!!!! :dohh:

:rofl:

Actually so would my hubby- and I'm sure Emma would be more than happy to give his man-boobs a try as she has pecked around on his chest looking for a place to latch on when she was smaller! It's nice having hubby's support- definitely gets us through rough patches :) Our reasons for BFing are the same as everyone else's- cheap, convenient, best for baby and me, and a great bonding experience!

I'm doing it as it was always the only option for us....never even considered FF....even though sadly my son had other ideas and has never latched on. So we pump, even though right nowmy pump is giving me trouble so for the last week while waiting for parts and while in the middle of renovating and moving to our new house I am having to manually express my milk!!! YUCK!!
So even though I don't get all the benefits of BF...I still know that I'm giving my son the very best!! And as my mom had Breast cancer, I wanted to give myself a better chance. Also money and burning those extra calories don't hurt!! lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->