Your tips for surviving twin pregnancy (especially 3rd trimester)

Yeah I definitely could use some tips too I am so uncomfortable now, exhausted all the time and having a really hard time breathing. I never had this with my daughter and feel 23 weeks is way too early to feel this. I have only gained 6 kilograms but it feels like 20. Also i have this horrible pain around my pubic bone that makes it hard to walk especially in the mornings. Oh the joys of pregnancy good thing we will get double the cuddles and smiles :) Ive had to take it easy because of constant contractions and short cervix I think inactivity really makes it worse.

I know that feeling of "its too soon to feel this way" I was getting the same feeling then from 23 week +, now I am nearly 30 weeks I feel and look (and probably measure) full term (with a singleton). (Such a pity as at 20 week I was looking and feeling so well and attractive even, that's all gone :cry:). i also think inactivity is worse, however, with a short cervix i think they tell you to rest more? Not sure about that one, going on what I've read. I find it hard to walk too but I am a lot heavier and have put on the top range of weight expected (not sure how with all my food aversions and nausea I've had, the twins are measuring big though which could be something to do with it)

I swim almost daily for the lower back pain. I wouldn't be able to walk without crying if I didn't swim.

I swim almost daily for the lower back pain. I wouldn't be able to walk without crying if I didn't swim.

We are a similar gestation! I am lucky I don't have backache, touch wood. I have heard swimming is great, its just all that is available now are outdoor swimming pools (the others shut in the summer over here) and the water is so cold at the moment I'd be scared it would harm the babies. I do think swimming is great though for everything including swelling!

oh, wow - i'd go crazy if they closed the indoor pool at my gym during the summer

Actually some parts of the last trimester were not too bad - no more back pain or side pains (front under the rib on the right). However I was quite uncomfortable - like sitting for a longer period of time, getting up, sleeping etc. when I got tired of sitting, I walked around a bit or laid down. Rested a lot! Slept with body pillow between my knees to prevent hip pain next day. Did not walk for exercise too much since I got too tired, but managed to go shopping for a bit etc. People were constantly askin if I'm ready to pop (even when I was still like 2-3 months out). Constantly telling me how huge I was.

I think I'm going to give my first tip: don't look too far ahead. I've had moments of getting all of a sudden big and uncomfortable, and the worse was the feeing of: "How on earth will I cope when I am further along in the pregnancy?" It was mind boggling! But you do cope, you adapt, and it doesn't feel any worse, if anything it feels better because you are in a "better" mind set. I am nearly 31 weeks now, and don't feel any heavier or worse than I did at 25 weeks (and I am a lot bigger)

calm- that is great to hear I find myself constantly thinking that. I am still pretty uncomfortable but we reached viability day yesterday and that makes me feel a lot better :)

I think I'm going to give my first tip: don't look too far ahead. I've had moments of getting all of a sudden big and uncomfortable, and the worse was the feeing of: "How on earth will I cope when I am further along in the pregnancy?" It was mind boggling! But you do cope, you adapt, and it doesn't feel any worse, if anything it feels better because you are in a "better" mind set. I am nearly 31 weeks now, and don't feel any heavier or worse than I did at 25 weeks (and I am a lot bigger)

That's so great. But it can change quickly. At 30wks I felt pretty great, at 31 I couldn't walk unassisted. At 33 wks babies shifted, B is now transverse, it took some pressure off of my pelvis and I feel so much better, but many nights the tummy has become very heavy.

I too would feel worse then better through my pregnancy, but am having less of the piece o'cake days now. I think the farther along you get the more likely, more symptoms, then the comfort measures for such symptoms aggravates other ones. For example, needing to lay down, to give your body a break, suddenly you feel like you are drowning, and/or acid reflux, not to mention, not putting a pillow between your knees can make your pelvis scream when you go to get up! :winkwink: Reclining is a good temporary fix, but it can cause reflux, and I start feeling a bunch of pressure in my pelvis.

If I'm not very careful about fluids I will wake up now with quite bad cramping pain, and it will feel an awful lot like labour. So I try to sleep in between squeezes until they stop. Last night dh got me up before he went to sleep and I could void, it helped me sleep through without the pain. Although I'm still waking slightly to turn over. At 34wks we are dealing with 10lbs of baby, so it's definitely going to get heavier.

Also in the late third tri, your body's hormones prevent deeper sleep. So coupled with pain, discomfort and poor sleep, I do anticipate it getting more difficult. :winkwink:

Yeah I definitely could use some tips too I am so uncomfortable now, exhausted all the time and having a really hard time breathing. I never had this with my daughter and feel 23 weeks is way too early to feel this. I have only gained 6 kilograms but it feels like 20. Also i have this horrible pain around my pubic bone that makes it hard to walk especially in the mornings. Oh the joys of pregnancy good thing we will get double the cuddles and smiles :) Ive had to take it easy because of constant contractions and short cervix I think inactivity really makes it worse.

Oh, I understand the pain. I also have been on modified bedrest since 18wks. I'm resting a little less this week since my pelvis has improved. We had two heads and 9lbs of baby pressing down there, so it's no wonder. This week B is transverse, so I'm thinking it's the reason I can actually walk.

I was sleeping all along with the body pillow but it really made no difference for this pain. I was taking extra-strength Tylenol, but it wasn't helping. Hips are getting much looser so I'm pretty careful about how I move, but that pain was excruciating. You have my sympathies.

Could be, we don't know! Staying team yellow if we can. I wouldn't be surprised if they are two boys, leaping about and playing rugby like their daddy, it certainly feels like it sometimes!

Our girls have been incredibly active, they were doing a whole bunch of leaping about! Although they are mighty squished now, they still try. I have an anterior placenta, and wonder what it would have felt like otherwise. We can "catch" little feet at times.

That's so great. But it can change quickly. At 30wks I felt pretty great, at 31 I couldn't walk unassisted. At 33 wks babies shifted, B is now transverse, it took some pressure off of my pelvis and I feel so much better, but many nights the tummy has become very heavy.

I too would feel worse then better through my pregnancy, but am having less of the piece o'cake days now. I think the farther along you get the more likely, more symptoms, then the comfort measures for such symptoms aggravates other ones. For example, needing to lay down, to give your body a break, suddenly you feel like you are drowning, and/or acid reflux, not to mention, not putting a pillow between your knees can make your pelvis scream when you go to get up! :winkwink: Reclining is a good temporary fix, but it can cause reflux, and I start feeling a bunch of pressure in my pelvis.

If I'm not very careful about fluids I will wake up now with quite bad cramping pain, and it will feel an awful lot like labour. So I try to sleep in between squeezes until they stop. Last night dh got me up before he went to sleep and I could void, it helped me sleep through without the pain. Although I'm still waking slightly to turn over. At 34wks we are dealing with 10lbs of baby, so it's definitely going to get heavier.

Also in the late third tri, your body's hormones prevent deeper sleep. So coupled with pain, discomfort and poor sleep, I do anticipate it getting more difficult. :winkwink:

It stands to reason that its going to be worse in the last weeks of pregnancy, but what I'm talking about has more to do with mindset and anticipation. I think its easy to get drawn into the "OMG how on earth will I cope when I already can't so much earlier on". i don't have the anxiety I had in the past, but remember getting a bit of a panic attack at 23 weeks because I just couldn't get my head around it. Now I kind of take it day by day,and I'm more in the flow. Some days are harder than others, but I certainly feel better than when I was worrying and doubting my capacity to do twin pregnancy. The later I get on has the added incentive that I am nearer having my twins and also that they are still cooking (I used to worry a lot more about preterm labour, every week feels a bit achievement)

makes a lot of sense, calm - our panic attack actually came at 15 weeks when SPD came super early and hard - I was like, how can i do this?! but now, that was more than half the pregnancy ago - I've made it this far, what's a few more weeks, right?

makes a lot of sense, calm - our panic attack actually came at 15 weeks when SPD came super early and hard - I was like, how can i do this?! but now, that was more than half the pregnancy ago - I've made it this far, what's a few more weeks, right?

Yep, we've made it this far we can get through the last hurdle. By the way, twin pregnancy with 2 LO's must be tough!

ha ha - yes, it is, but like i'm saying - we've made it this far - what's a few more weeks, right? :)

I'm following this for the great advice, I know I'll need it! Right now I'm still trying to survive the being sick stage...

Around 25 weeks I had my panic, I felt huge, tired and uncomfortable most of the time and I couldn't see how I could possibly go another 10-13 weeks. I'm over it now though, I'm getting more used to the size and what I can and cant do. I'm more ready to take help from others and accept I cant do everything myself.

My biggest worry now is the house. We are building an extension for the arrivals which is almost doubling the size of the house. We're living in dust, muck, upheaval and have a constant flow of builders, roofers, plumbers, electricians etc! The plasterers are here today so I know the end is in sight but I'm having to accept that we probably wont be ready in time. In the meantime, I'm still running our business from here, or trying to!

I'm learning to stop worrying about things I can do nothing about and think how much it will be worth it in the end!

]
Around 25 weeks I had my panic, I felt huge, tired and uncomfortable most of the time and I couldn't see how I could possibly go another 10-13 weeks. I'm over it now though, I'm getting more used to the size and what I can and cant do. I'm more ready to take help from others and accept I cant do everything myself.

My biggest worry now is the house. We are building an extension for the arrivals which is almost doubling the size of the house. We're living in dust, muck, upheaval and have a constant flow of builders, roofers, plumbers, electricians etc! The plasterers are here today so I know the end is in sight but I'm having to accept that we probably wont be ready in time. In the meantime, I'm still running our business from here, or trying to!

I'm learning to stop worrying about things I can do nothing about and think how much it will be worth it in the end!

We have a lot in common! Had the panic round the same time and now more in a period of acceptance (well, a lot of the time :haha: ). And I'm also dealing with building work. We bought a new house just after finding out we were expecting twins, its perfect! The problem is we had to do it up from scratch: electricity, plumbing, tiles, floors, walls, kitchen, bathrooms... Its been going on now for 6 months, and no idea if it will be ready before the babies are here (which means a move at 35+) or after (a move with 2 new borns). I'm accepting it just won't ready (just at this moment the twins have woken up with kicks of protest as if to say "we don't accept it, we want to go to the new house NOW") :haha: Seriously I find it sad not being able to prepare the nursery, their clothes are in my wardrobe, and there is no room to swing my 2 cats!

:haha: I'm sure it will be worth the wait, at least that what I'm telling myself! I also find it hard not to start getting the nursery ready, looking at other people's on here I get a bit envious! Almost everything we have bought is currently stored in my parents summerhouse and all the clothes, blankets etc are piled up under sheets of polythene to keep them out of the dust. Just hoping we go as far to full term as possible now, we're really not ready yet!

It will be super exciting moving into your new house with your new family :happydance:

It stands to reason that its going to be worse in the last weeks of pregnancy, but what I'm talking about has more to do with mindset and anticipation. I think its easy to get drawn into the "OMG how on earth will I cope when I already can't so much earlier on". i don't have the anxiety I had in the past, but remember getting a bit of a panic attack at 23 weeks because I just couldn't get my head around it. Now I kind of take it day by day,and I'm more in the flow. Some days are harder than others, but I certainly feel better than when I was worrying and doubting my capacity to do twin pregnancy. The later I get on has the added incentive that I am nearer having my twins and also that they are still cooking (I used to worry a lot more about preterm labour, every week feels a bit achievement)

I was thinking that you sound like you may have had a relatively easy twin pregnancy, and not everyone has the same experience. When one of the ladies here shared that she cried when she realised she needed to get down on the floor to change her toddler's diaper, I couldn't relate. But I can now. So even though someone isn't as far along as I am, I can understand that she might be suffering a lot more than I was and therefore has some real concerns about the how's. I know that when I couldn't walk two weeks ago it was hard to picture and prepare for how I was going to handle things (I have several little ones too) in the coming weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->