Zika

FutureMrs

Reaction score
Hi All!

I am just curious about opinions out there, my FI and I are getting married in Mexico at the end of April, our plan was to TTC right away after the wedding, including in Mexico. Now with Zika everything seems uncertain, I am not sure how long we should wait after the trip or if at all? Anyone else in a similar position? Any advice?

There still isn't a whole lot known about Zika. The best course of action is for you both to be very strict about the prevention of mosquito bites.

For women, Zika seems to stay in their system once symptoms exhibit for about a week. However, it is possible men hold the virus longer in their semen. Scientists and doctors are not sure how long, however.

I would wait until your return to the states and see a doctor first. Ask their opinion. Perhaps wait at least a week before ttc.

There's still a lot that isn't known about zika. The Canadian government is suggesting women wait at least 2 months after returning from an area with zika before trying to conceive. https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/zika-pregnancy-phac-1.3473130

Talk to your doctor, you may be able to get tested when you get back.

Its pretty conflicting information. I've heard everything from 1 month to 6...definitely worth a call to your doctor for their opinion. It is not something to mess around with as it can cause a lot of damage to a baby.

Thanks for your input all! My Dr suggested to wait one cycle and then resume trying, there havent been any reported cases in the part of Mexico we are going to so she was fairly unconcerned but its still nerve racking!

I think it sounds like a good idea to wait. Get back and see how you feel. I would imagine you would know if you were infected as it causes a flu like illness (much like dengue fever, if you've ever known anyone who's had that, it's miserable), and if you don't get sick, then you are unlikely to have been infected. But I think there is still a bit of uncertainty. If you can get tested in that intervening cycle, I would (same with your partner, as it can also be sexually transmitted). I'd also take a lot of precautions against insect bites, use a bed net if one is available (you can also bring your own, they're really cheap and easy to buy to travel with) and lots of DEET based mosquito repellent.

Unfortunately only 1 in 5 people infected with zika will have symptoms.

We are going to the Dominican Republic this summer and just this week had a letter from our travel company saying that if I was planning to be pregnant at that point I could change the location. Other than that they seemed pretty unconcerned.

Personally I would wait a bit longer than you think necessary to be on the safe side. I think as has been suggested that prevention is the key. I've been to Mexico many times and in the resort hotels they regularly spray to ward off mosquitos and I would have imagined that they would have stepped this up with Zika. Make sure the mosquito spray you take is a as a % of DEET as you can as this will stop them biting you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->