Zofran Question

svaughn8814

Reaction score
Are any of you ladies still taking Zofran in the second trimester?

The main thing I want to know is if it is still safe to take during this far into my pregnancy. I am 18 weeks this week. I have found that I can skip a pill one day but by the the time it gets completely out of my system, I am back to my very sick self. Usually it takes the morning after I skipped my Zofran pill to get completely out of my system.

Any advice would be great!

Are any of you ladies still taking Zofran in the second trimester?

The main thing I want to know is if it is still safe to take during this far into my pregnancy. I am 18 weeks this week. I have found that I can skip a pill one day but by the the time it gets completely out of my system, I am back to my very sick self. Usually it takes the morning after I skipped my Zofran pill to get completely out of my system.

Any advice would be great!

I took it my entire pregnancy with dd. But just so you are informed there have been recent studies linking this drug to birth defects (heart, cleft palate) I personally had no issues and took it til the day I delivered and my little girl is a happy healthy 2 1/2 year old. I havent needed it this pregnancy but would probably opt not to take it

I am still on zofran at 21 weeks and probably will be for a while yet if not the entire pregnancy. I'm on a zofran pump actually (continuous infusion). I'm also currently on/ have tried a host of other meds. I have severe hyperemesis gravidarum. Baby looks fine on ultrasounds. I'm not worried about it. I think if you need it, you need it, especially since you are at a point where the baby needs to grow and put on weight. If you can't get enough food or drink in to allow that without zofran, then you probably need it. The baby not getting enough nutrients has it's own risks of defects, so you and your doctor have to weigh that against any potential risks of zofran. I don't know if you have hyperemesis or bad morning sickness, but I do know a lot of women with hyperemesis start to improve around 20 weeks, so I assume bad morning sickness may follow a similar pattern. So either way you may find in a couple weeks you don't need it anyways!

Also, I might add, with a lot of drugs, the least safe period is actually the first trimester where a lot of major development occurs. Once you get into the second trimester the damage has been done or not. From what I have seen about zofran is potentially some increase in cleft palate and heart defects, which I believe would both happen in the first trimester (cleft palate for sure, but the heart would depend on the nature of the defect), so it may well be safer now than it was back in the first trimester when most moms need it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->