1 more day until we start combie feedin... mixed feelings

carlyjade86

Baking Bun #3
Reaction score
we made the decision as a couple that as i am due to go away for the weekend at the end of next mth, we would start combie feeding Elsie when she turns 4mths.
former bottle refuser, i have spent the last mth expressing and getting her to take a bottle, which she will now do, but she always needs to latch after as i cant express enough. so we will be introducing formula, to work on the next part of the battle: taking a bottle off someone else n letting daddy put her to bed!

bit of a pointless thread... i just wanted to vent about how im feeling... i feel like its the end of an era... i feel jealous that where only I could feed her, now 'anybody' will be able to do it... i feel sad that im taking my milk away from her and giving her 'plastic' milk (before anyone starts, my son was FF so i know its fine and i respect anyone who chooses to feed their child that way - i know my view is just irrational and hormonal at the moment so please dont take it the wrong way!) but at the same time, i feel kinda happy that i get some freedom back... that she should hopefully be more of a routine baby through the day, rather than a constant on demand baby!

but mostly... i wish i wasnt going away so i could continue feeding her myself... :(

I'm starting thinking about weaning in the near future and it makes me sad to think of her not needing me when she's hungry.
My Lo wont take a bottle so its only ever been me.

In a way I regret her being so dependant on me but I know when she's fully weaned then I'll miss the special time.

Do you really have to go away? could you cancel? I combi fed but because i had to due to BF problems,im always envious of people that BF easily :haha: so if you can do it then i find it heart breaking that you have to stop other than reasons that you had problem bf iukwim :flower:

its my sisters hen weekend. id rather not leave her to be honest but it isnt worth the agro... :(

Elsie was a complete bottle refuser until i bought MAM bottles and started giving her one while she was still asleep and we progressed there on where she'll take one easily! im so relieved. i was dreading having to use a cup...

I understand your pain. I am getting ready to start switching DS over to formula. He has had BM about 95% of the time (he had some formula when he was a newborn and an occasional bottle when we are out and about). I EP, so my situation is a little different than yours, but I take pride in knowing that I am the one giving my son milk (even if it is through a bottle). And for me this is my last connection to BFing which I wanted desperately to do, but it didn't work out. Our problem is we are going on vacation in a couple months and I won't be able to pump all the time, so we will have to rely on formula. Plus I would like to hopefully avoid being engorged on our family vacation.

Can't you just supplement for the weekend then go back to exclusive feeding?

i commend u highly becoz i hate expressing! everytime i do i end up waking through the night from the pain of engorgement and it takes a couple of days to stop my ducts from hurting.

our plan is that Elsie will have formula through the day from midday onwards , but her early morning wake up feed will be given by me, and any feed up to midday. i think my OH would like me to stop fully but I cant. not yet. i enjoy it.. i enjoy how much she enjoys it and mostly, i enjoy how easy it is!

Can't you just supplement for the weekend then go back to exclusive feeding?

with the fight I have had to go through to get her to agree to take a bottle, and now having to persude her to take a bottle from someone other than me, i need to be sure she is going to be ok when I go. I couldnt leave her without knowing my OH is confident in feeding her and that shes happy to be fed. even when Im away there will be enough BM left behind that she will have 2 bottles of that a day, and i will continue to combi feed until she has had enough of me...

i know deep down it will be good for me to be able to have a break.. go and have my hair done - things i havent been able to do since shes been born. but it makes me sad all the same... :(

You've done well to get so far, and remember every bit of breast milk she gets is good for her. Good luck and enjoy your weekend!

I would feel the same way. I'm lucky that I haven't had to leave him, it must be hard.

:hugs: it's always a hard decision to make, it really does feel like an end of an era but be proud for what you have achieved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->