1 or 2 Embryo Tranfer???

Blue12

icsi miracle xo
Reaction score
To transfer 1 embryo or 2???I am going to be going through ivf probably around April of 2010.* Yesterday Dh and I went to a mandatory counselling session to have ivf.* We essentially had to "prove" that we were ready for it, knowledgable and that we were making sound decisions.* So we had to explain the details of our problems and the details of our treatments ahead and all of our thoughts, feelings, and decisions and the reasons behind them.The only detail that we haven't decided on is whether or not to transfer 1 or 2 embryos.* The counsellor very very highly recommended only 1, but said since we are paying the $10,000 it is our decision.* She gave us some information and it was kind of scary.* The risks associated with twin pregnancies are 2X - 6X the regular risks.* It talks about how common it is for ivf patients to want 2 transfered because you have waited so long - and 2 feels like it is a more sure thing - and when it costs so much the idea of 2 is so enticing.* She mentioned that dh and I should have a clear decision made ahead of time - and not to let something the doc says at the last minute to influence us.Dh and I are so torn on this.* We are going to continue to research and discuss this.* I would love to hear your opinions, advice, success. THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART.Details* -* We are both 28.* I have blocked tubes, ovarian cyst, endo, fibroids (to be removed during lap) and I have pcos.Sorry that was a long question.* Phew!

We had the same discussions, and u know i have severe endo same age as you. And my con said I would not argue with you if you wanted 2 embryos put back. Albeit, we only got 1 egg and had it transferred. I think it all depends on what they find in your lap and how well u respond with your IVF drugs.

If you do have endo, it does make us have a higher chance of miscarriage and no doubt if i get 2 embryos next time im having 2 put back. Ive had many discussions with endo girls and they all said they would put 2 back.

I had two put back last time. When I go again next year I'm going to opt for one. There are so many positives and negatives to weigh up which I'm sure you'll get into once it comes round to the transfer. I never understood the reasons for Single Embryo Transfer but I do, now.

Curly Sue I am doing my own research and I hope that the clinic does give me more information but I'm not sure they will. Would you mind sharing some of the reasons for single embryo transfer? Thank you so much.

Personally I had two and will insist on two again. I would do 3 if I could -some clinics in India do- and face the music.

just thought I'd chime in about policies here....in the US this issue has been hotly debated recently, but basically, it's up to the doctor and the patient how many embryos they put back. I think the average is 2, but with ladies over 35 like myself, they tend to put back 3. I do think that age and other issues make a big difference, and the incidence of twins is not greater for older women with three put back vs younger women with two- so other factors play a role in whether you're increasing your chance of twins by putting back two. Just as a crazy example, for my friend who is 39, has PCOS, and had ICSI due to her DH having a very low sperm count and bad morphology (so lots of issues overall), her clinic put 5 embryos in! Two implanted but only one has made it, so she's now 5 months pregnant with a boy....

We had 2 and am glad we did. I couldn't live with the "what if's". I'm pg with one baby and to think that if they had chosen a different embryo and only put one back our cycle might have failed..... You are entitled to request 2. We have 2 frosties and next time I'd def do it again.

Good luck

xx

There seems to be so many risks highlighted in recent years, since the introduction of 'One at a time' by the HFEA, that I wonder if the risks are exaggerated so that clinics can meet targets. I had hoped for two to be put back, but I'm being led to believe that my clinic won't even entertain the idea. However, I've been reading and there are risks that I hadn't thought of. I guess it's very hard to know. If you put two back, and the both don't make it, is it because there were two and if there'd been one, it would have survived? If you put one back, and it doesn't survive, would two have upped your chances of at least one surviving? If you put two back and one survives, would they both have had the same chance of surviving if they had been put back separately?

Mrs G, did Salisbury try to persuade you to have one transferred? From my short talk with them on the open evening, it sounded as though it would be a flat 'no' to two embryo transfer as it would be my first ICSI. I think it was something along the lines of, "I wouldn't even consider putting two back. You won't be able to make me" (in a nice way though, like it was a high chance of a result with one). I'm 34...

I had 2 put back in and got a BFP, I find out on the 9th dec if I have one or two.
From what I read on Twins and risks are that the risks are more common in Identicle twins as the egg my not spilt correctly or one gets too much food compared to the other etc etc.
Complications with IVF twins are less than natural conception. My gyno said the problem with stats is that they are mostly done on natural conception of identicle twins.

Most women who have had 2 put back in only end up with one baby and I don't want the what if factor. If I am blessed with twins then so be it, but I know hubby and I made the right choice to have two put back in.

I'm 34...

I'm 35 and my FS suggest 2 because the success rate of IVF is lower as you get older and 2 would give me better odds and believes with 2 I should end up with a single pregnancy, well I got a BFP not sure how many yet have to wait till the 9th.

our FS Dr only does 1 transfer, he said the risks far outweigh the benefits. I kind of agree with him. The whole idea of IVF is to get A healthy baby...not get a whole lot of babies....I don't think the chances are better with two embryo's

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->