• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

10 week old only drinks 2-3oz per feed.

Louise88

Dd- ciara and ds- James
Reaction score
Is this normal? I'm sure my daughter was pretty much demolishing 5-6oz at this age but my boy has only ever took 2-3oz and no more each feed. He does feed every 2-3hours and at night has one 5-6hr stretch then wakes every 2 hours after that but even after that 6 hr stretch he still only has 2-3oz.

I haven't had him weighed in nearly 4 weeks but last time he'd dropped from the 50th percentile to the one below that HV wasn't concerned though as it still showed he'd gained weight after his last weigh

Should I be concerned?

My LO was only regularly taking 5oz per feed when she was well over a year old. Little and often is probably healthiest anyway - you don't want to stretch his tummy. As long as he's healthy and happy and weeing and pooing normally, I would be happy with that.

Thankyou for your reply, he's does have plenty wet and dirty nappies. I shall stop worrying lol

my lo was the same. Would go hours too. She had no hunger clues around that age either wasted a lot of milk lol. Only since she has been around 6 months has she started taking 8oz and crying for milk. She also dropped to 25th. She's a healthy happy baby so don't stress. Easier said than done lol xx

My health visitor says that as long as baby is gaining weight and staying around same percentile then it's fine. My baby girl is just under the 9th percentile so I was worried she wasn't taking enough but the hv reassured me. She is 11 weeks and feeds between 4-5 Times (sleeps through the night pretty much) and takes 6oz. Just shows how our babies are all so unique.
And the wet and dirty nappies is also a good sign.

Is he falling asleep after the 2/3 oz.... You may need to increase the teat size....

You can suck it yourself to see if it's slow. Also by turning it upside down you should see if it drips quickish!! Also depending on the formula it can thicken a little the longer it takes to feed. My lo is on hip organic and I find it drips quickly at the beginning and then thickens after the 3 rd oz. cow and gate doesn't thicken as much.

Hope this helps.

My LO didn't take more than that amount until she was nearly 16 weeks. it's only now at 21+ weeks that she is taking in 4-6oz at a time.
As long as there is weight gain at all it's probably just fine! :)

My 24 week old takes 4-6 oz at a time. She's always been "little and often" and she still feeds 1-3 times during the night. :sleep:

She's super healthy and thriving. Nothing to worry about. All babies are different.

For some reason, people seem fixated on getting FF babies on schedules but let BF babies feed on demand. I say my FF baby gets to feed on demand. And so she does!

My LO is 14 weeks and he feeds totally on demand - sometimes it is 2oz so he feeds again in 2 hours, sometimes it is 3-4oz. so I give a longer gap before I try feeding and that works well for him. The point being - don't worry! 2oz every 2 hours is normal! :)

What is "normal" with babies? My daughter is almost 7 months, and she typically eats 3oz, and within an hour or so, the other 2-3 oz, after I've gotten her to doze off a bit.

She is truly the definition of a grazer. She eats as much in the day as many babies half her age (according to the general norm on this forum). I do not (and won't, I don't think) have a chubby baby.

I honestly wouldn't worry about your child!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->