13 Month Old Sleep!

Babybump87

Reaction score
Since about April DSs sleep pattern has been up and down. He used to sleep no issues 7pm until 6/7am . We have managed to settle him now before bed with no crying.

The issue is now he’s waking up literally screaming the house down and nothing will calm him down . You just have to wait until he settles. This happens at least twice at random/ different times each night . He’s tossing and turning all over the place too ! These screaming episodes and frequent night wakings are starting to take its toll!

He usually wakes around 6/7 with a 2 hour nap around midday and bedtime at 7 . He’s generally a happy baby . He is teething at the minute but his teeth have not usually bothered him .

Does anyone else’s 13 month old do this ? I just can’t think of what’s going on ! Night terrors ? Could he be overtired ? He started resisting his morning nap and it just got later into the afternoon he’s been on one nap for a few months now . If he does have a second nap bedtime is after 10pm!

I think it’s a classic time for this as their brains are learning lots of new things and at night the brain is still working away on it all. Walking and talking Are both developing at this time with lots of new connections needed to co-ordinate so many parts of the body.

So it may be that baby isn’t fully waking but half waking and feeling disoriented and exhausted, or being fully woken and then being really mad that he can’t get back to sleep with such a racing brain.

Some people don’t notice this stage as their child never slept through anyway, but for others it can be a big shock. Just something you have to ride out i think.

It sounds like a regression to me. My son had his worst one when he turned 2 - same kind of thing, he went from being an awesome sleeper to screaming for hours at bedtime, and up every hour crying. He literally woke up every hour on the dot from when he finally fell asleep at 9pm (after 2 hours of crying at bedtime) and kept waking up until 3 in the morning.

This lasted maybe a week or two and went away on its own. We tried to be consistent with him, we didn’t change his nap schedule (he was also resisting his only nap), and just waited it out. It was awful but it did resolve itself

Ahh thanks ladies !

He has been walking for the past month or so. But actually just this week we have noticed he is babbling a lot more. Yeah it seems that he is half awake half asleep !

It’s usually between 2 and 4 am and as you can imagine I get the freight of my life ! He actually slept through two nights ago but then last night had a horrendous night !

I agree just got to see it through ! We are being very strict with regards to bedtime and a routine. This seems to be helping! Hoping he’s back sleep through by the end of the summer holidays !

Children often change their sleep schedule, my son's schedule depends even on the season. In winter he falls asleep earlier and sleeps longer. But in summer and spring, he also woke up in the middle of the night. It can be a matter of nightmares, of temperature, sounds. If it happens not often, you don't have to worry about it.

Children often change their sleep schedule, my son's schedule depends even on the season. In winter he falls asleep earlier and sleeps longer. But in summer and spring, he also woke up in the middle of the night. It can be a matter of nightmares, of temperature, sounds. If it happens not often, you don't have to worry about it.
Thanks ! He does seem to have settled down a lot ! He’s 18 months soon . Fingers crossed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->