• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

14 Weeks - When To Start Buying Baby Items?

Kay_

Reaction score
I am now in my second trimester (yay!:happydance:) and have been wondering lately when I should start buying baby items...more when I should start buying the crib and all of the other things that come along with having a new baby...I've been looking at cribs online and seeing what type of style I want etc. Was leaning towards maybe purchasing in February but is that too early? I'm due 2nd week of May 2019!:yellow:

Thanks!<3

I think it’s a personal choice to be honest. I am 17 weeks today and we have most of the main things (pram, pushchair, car seats, nursery furniture, bottles, breast pump set, changing bag, baby carrier etc) already!! We started buying at 8 weeks. Think we just want to be prepared and not be running around like headless chickens near the end when we (or I) should be relaxing and mentally preparing for baby to be born... xxx

I agree with Maple, definitely a personal choice. I would suggest if you're going to find out the gender to wait till then. For me personally I've been waiting until at least 20 to 25 weeks before buying any baby stuff. It's a lot of fun though and if it's your first child I can definitely understand wanting to buy them after you find out whether you're having a girl or a boy.

Everyone is different. I'll buy things a few weeks before our baby is due.
We co-sleep, breast feed, sling baby and use cloth nappies so won't need much.
I'm hoping there are some cute neutral outfits in the January sales

I like to buy early on. I am a big planner and I have a serious need to have things together. This is our third so we already have a lot of the big stuff and at this point we are well aware of what we do not need. Seriously, spending money on things you never used sucks! :haha:

For this baby, I have collected a bunch of gender neutral clothing and I have organized the early essentials. :) I like relaxing in the third trimester and unfinished preparations drive me bonkers. Plus, I tend to get a lot of swelling in my legs towards the end (no health complications ever so it's weird) and standing/walking for long periods of time and trying to assemble things is a big no for me. :haha:

I’m only 9 weeks and I am already thinking of when to buy! We have the main big items but need a new steriliser, will be keeping an eye out for on over Xmas and the sales why not !

Agree it’s a personal choice if you feel ready then go for it. Everything clothes wise will be bought if we decide to find out the gender in February .

I don't like buying anything too early so I normally start preparing things between 33 and 35 weeks. But everyone's different! In my case we still have some of my older children's old stuff including a bassinet, stroller and changing table (we are using it as a dresser at the moment), and we do have a little baby clothes. But even for my previous children, I started getting things ready really late. For my first baby I didn't have enough clothes!! But my family gifted us a lot of things... I got a bit more baby clothes the second time around. The first few months I feel they get changed so often and sometimes you can't wash all the clothes fast enough!

Last edited:
We were given a hand-me-down stroller by a friend who asked very politely if we might ever need it - not knowing we were TTC! After getting pregnant, I started picking up gently used things around 7 weeks. I found that searching for one thing at a time made it a fun hunt for the best deal and spread out the costs. I even got a changing table for free! Now, at 17 weeks, I'm just buying packs of diapers super cheap on FB marketplace and waiting on our baby shower.

Having a stroller before getting pregnant stressed me out quite a bit, so I don't know how I would feel having a stockpile of baby things and losing our baby, but I prefer to stay optimistic and allow myself to be excited.

It's very much a personal choice and what works best for your family! I would say it's never too early, but only you know that for yourself!

Thank you ladies for your replies! I think we will start preparing & buying things once we find out the gender (Dec.10) that way we will know what we are purchasing for. I think shopping around before I start to get too big will be easier for me that way I will have everything prepared before the spring!

Great plan! I didn't feel the urge to buy anything until 20 weeks. Now I'm panicking because there is so much to get... Even though I still have half of my pregnancy to go :haha:

I start buying small things like little toys and clothing items early just to appease me lol. But I start buying major things (car seats, high chairs,etc.) around 28 to 30 weeks.

I start buying small things like little toys and clothing items early just to appease me lol. But I start buying major things (car seats, high chairs,etc.) around 28 to 30 weeks.
Lol yea, I think I will be leaving most of the big things til later but I do want to get a few things once I find out the gender...Like outfits, crib bedding, swing, etc. I'm trying to get the crib around christmas time or boxing day though to see if there will be any deals :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->