I used a Mei Tai when LO was tiny, and then progressed to a woven wrap and then a Rose and Rebellion soft structured carrier.
I would have liked an Ergo, but hubby told me I had enough!! :lol:
I preferred the Mei Tai when he was little and loved the Soft Structured Carrier (SSC) one when he was older and wanted to go on my back - The SSC has buckles rather than ties, so you pretty much pop them in and clip it up!
I used them because they are better for babys posture than the Bjorn type carriers that everyone seems to buy. A proper wrap/sling/carrier is more like a seat for baby to sit in. A bjorn style puts all the pressure on the crotch area - they are known as 'crotch danglers' for that reason!
They are very easy to use and there are plenty of how to videos on you tube!
Fashion shouldn't matter - babys comfort should be more important - BUT, some of the designs on the wraps are phenomenal! (I had a tough time picking what fabric I wanted my Rose and Rebellion in!!
I started using wraps and carriers when he was tiny, and only recently stopped!

Here are some pics of my carriers! (although, I can't seem to find one of my wrap!!)

My Mei Tai
https://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/59075_425169391454_5843073_n.jpg

My Rose and Rebellion
https://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/302193_10150271765266455_1278586329_n.jpg

I didn't get on with the wrap so well. The other 2 were far more comfortable for me to wear. The SSC is prob my fave.

1) which one did you use and why?
I used lots of different carriers but mostly stuck to my mei tais.

2)which is easier to use?
Really depends on you. If you couldn't be bothered getting to grips with wrapping/tying then a buckle/SSC would probably be easiest. Or maybe a ring sling. You'd probably be best trying a few different ones though.

3) which one would you recommend for a newborn
Personally I'd recommend a stretchy wrap for a newborn. They're v. snug and have lots of give.

4) how do you tie/ use a sling/wrap?
Depends on the carrier. Maybes try a sling meet so you can try some out IRL.

5) as for as fashion goes which one looks better?
I guess it depends on your taste. I always preferred really plain carriers so they didn't clash with outfits - I had a couple of really bright/patterned wraps at one point but they didn't last long.

6) how old was the baby when you started using them and when did you stop?
A couple of months old when we started, and around 18m/2 years when we stopped. I only stopped due to injury but if I could afford a preschool carrier (or either of us found woven wraps comfortable) I'd still be carrying him now.

HTH!

I started using a mei tei when Jacob was around 9months old. I found it very comfy until he hit around 18 months. Very easy to put on, easy to tie.

I then switched to a woven (got two). Again, very comfortable! Still wear him now. I found it a bit fiddly to begin with and tried lots of different ways to tie it until I found one that worked for me. Youtube is fab for instructions! I think they do take a while to get use too, but once you do it's dead easy.

thank you very much! i think thats what makes me kinda nervous about the wraps, is not being able to get use to it :/ but i will most definently youtube it

find out if you have a sling library in your area (google is your friend)
They will let you try slings and wraps for a hire fee/deposit.
There are also people there that will show you how to use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->