Oh I should add - she's doing it with both of her kids (she has an older child who's 8 but not my cousins)

You definitely need permission from the school, in my borough a woman was charged with £715 for taking her child on holiday with no prior permission from school. No idea about the dad, do you mean does she need his permission to take them abroad?

You definitely need permission from the school, in my borough a woman was charged with £715 for taking her child on holiday with no prior permission from school. No idea about the dad, do you mean does she need his permission to take them abroad?

Thanks for replying :)

Either, he's just upset he wasn't told until his son came out with it. Of course he wouldn't do anything now, he just wants to know where he stands, whether she needs his permission to take him abroad / to take him out of school during term time.

They're only going for a week, and he has his son every other weekend friday - sunday, so it doesn't interfere with his contact time.

£715 ! Wow! Ouch x

Thanks for replying :)

Either, he's just upset he wasn't told until his son came out with it. Of course he wouldn't do anything now, he just wants to know where he stands, whether she needs his permission to take him abroad / to take him out of school during term time.

They're only going for a week, and he has his son every other weekend friday - sunday, so it doesn't interfere with his contact time.

£715 ! Wow! Ouch x

She definitely should have consulted with him before hand about taking the child abroad, I know relationships can be complicated but even if she didn't "ask" she definitely should have told him. I was always under the impression if a father was on a birth certificate permission was required from him to go abroad but I don't know if this is a myth or if in practice it doesn't really happen.

Yah I thought £715 was a bit harsh tbh.....x

I think most schools allow 10 days and after this it goes down as an unauthorised absence. Most schools are happy to allow it if it doesnt fall during exam time etc because parents will just take their kids anyway and schools have to report their percentage of unauthorised absences for the year so the less they have tge better it looks on them. It really depends on the school though.
As for needing his permission I always thought she would but it depends on their arrangement I think, I recently found out that one parent can also apply for a passport for their child without the other parent signing it/knowing about it if they're divorced. Only found this out by accident when checking/signing forms fir couple kids at school.

If he wants to be more involved with the school he should initiate contact although he may need the boys mum to verify who he is unless he signed the admission/enrolment forms etc. Schools are used to sending out two lots of reports to separated parents and even seeing both parents separately at parents evening etc

If he has parental rights then I am pretty certain that she would need to seek his permission to take the kids abroad. I have been looking into this myself (OH and me were going through a rough patch and I wanted to know if I was even allowed to take LO back to the UK) and I read that I would have needed his permission if he had rights (which he doesn't as we're not married and I have never consented to it).

A quick google would probably give you the answers you need.

Each school is different with regards to time off, around here you are not allowed to at all but some areas up to ten days a year if their attendance is good. Here you get a £50 fine if you take them any way, for many that extra £50 doesn't make it more expensive than school holidays so they do it any way.

As for consent from him, if he has parental responsibility and no residence orders are in place then she needs to of gained written consent from him no matter how long they are going out of the country for, it is only with residency orders that they can take them out of the country for up to a month without permission.

When I was at secondary school I remember we had to request leave (well, parents did!). My mum would always state reason as something like: "I cannot afford to take Hannah on holiday during holiday season. As her attendance has, to the best of my knowledge, been more than adequate for the past *however many terms of the year*, I feel it would be unfair to deny this request for leave during term time".

It was only ever a trip to cornwall or something but I remember how it would cost double to go during holiday time.

I went to Tenerife when I was 13 (7 years ago) and had to get permission from my father.

Just out of interest who is the permission proven to? When you go through the airport is there something that says "this child needs a permission form" and then you hand it over? sorry if it sounds silly just intrigued!

I've done it (taken the kids on holiday during term time) 2 years in a row. 10 days in September 2011 and 10 days in September 2012.

Both times I had permission from the headmaster, but he said that he would not grant permission a third time.

Thanks girls :) I've shown him the replies. He's done his own googling, and found that apparently she can take him out of the country without permission for up to a month, without consent.

It does make me laugh though, he wanted to take him to Matlock for a couple of days a few months go and she said no way. -.-

She doesn't have a residence order.

He's not sure about the school, but the only way he could find out I guess is to ask, as he's no idea if she asked at the end of last year. X

It's all changing ladies!!!

Thanks to the government, as of September NO school is allowed to authorise holiday unless it is for a special occasion and here its the council that give the nod. They might find themselves hit with a fine!

https://www.education.gov.uk/school...r/attendance/a00223868/regulations-amendments

Just out of interest who is the permission proven to? When you go through the airport is there something that says "this child needs a permission form" and then you hand it over? sorry if it sounds silly just intrigued!

local council maybe? truancy officers?

local council maybe? truancy officers?

It will noted as unauthorised absence and investigated. As mentioned in my above post, the government has taken the authority of authorising leave away from schools.

Marinewag, do you mean the permission from the father? I think they could potentially be stopped and asked at the airport, not that I think it happens often at all.

Ceejay, is he sure? I read this; Consideration should first of all be given as to who has parental responsibility. If both parents have parental responsibility and there are no residence orders or other restrictions in place, then neither can take the child on holiday outside the United Kingdom without the written consent of the other parent or any other party with parental responsibility. If consent is refused, an application to the Court will need to be made for permission.

The situation is different where one parent has a Residence Order. A person with a Residence Order can take a child abroad for up to a month without the written consent of the other parent. However, it is good parenting to endeavour to agree the arrangements in advance; if consent is unreasonably withheld then an application may be made to the Court.

Here is the link https://www.sydneymitchell.co.uk/news/legal-implications-taking-children-abroad-if-you-are-separated

It's all changing ladies!!!

Thanks to the government, as of September NO school is allowed to authorise holiday unless it is for a special occasion and here its the council that give the nod. They might find themselves hit with a fine!

https://www.education.gov.uk/school...r/attendance/a00223868/regulations-amendments

Aaah, I heard this before and there is a petition about the government tackling the cost of taking a holiday during the school holidays

Thanks Tasha sorry yes I did mean the father's permission not the schools permission.

Hmm wonder how they will define "special occasion"....I understand the concern about taking kids out of school, it is something I would certainly try to avoid but I think it is a little totalitarian to put a blanket stop on it, makes me a bit uncomfortable tbh.

Marinewag, do you mean the permission from the father? I think they could potentially be stopped and asked at the airport, not that I think it happens often at all.

Ceejay, is he sure? I read this; Consideration should first of all be given as to who has parental responsibility. If both parents have parental responsibility and there are no residence orders or other restrictions in place, then neither can take the child on holiday outside the United Kingdom without the written consent of the other parent or any other party with parental responsibility. If consent is refused, an application to the Court will need to be made for permission.

The situation is different where one parent has a Residence Order. A person with a Residence Order can take a child abroad for up to a month without the written consent of the other parent. However, it is good parenting to endeavour to agree the arrangements in advance; if consent is unreasonably withheld then an application may be made to the Court.

Here is the link https://www.sydneymitchell.co.uk/news/legal-implications-taking-children-abroad-if-you-are-separated

Hmm, I've no idea, I wasn't with him when he googled. Ill send him the link, thank you . :) x

the law is changing september so it will be illegal

i have a holiday booked for 16th spetember which tbf i booked before i knew about the law change but im not sure if we are going now anyway (not to do with school)

i have taken mine out every year since they started school as dh has holidays allocated which never really fall within the school holidays

if we do decide to we want to go on holiday in september i will just go, they can fine me if they want, seriously there is no way in the world that we are never having a family holiday until Lana leaves school considering she doesnt even start until next year thats a hell of a long time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->