1st pregnancy, advice please: 12wk scan result 1:230 chance for downs

chris15

Reaction score
Hi
I had my 12wk scan on the Jan. 14th, fri I received a call from my dr office that my results came back 1:230 chance for Down's syndrome. I felt like I had the wind knocked out of me. I was able to go into the dr office the same day & take the MaterniT21 blood test & I should have the results in 7-14days. I'm 33 (I'll be 34 in Feb) I know that age is a factor but I was a bit dumbstruck & didn't think to ask for the NT measurements or what my hormone levels were (I'll have it faxed to me mon). Has anyone been through something similar? Any advice? My SO has been a God send & telling me the odds are in our favor but I'm still a little concerned. Regardless of the outcome we won't terminate the pregnancy. It's just a little difficult to give up the baby I've dreamed & imagined in my head for so many years.....he or she will come in a slightly different package but will be loved the same. Anyone else have 1:230 odds? What was your outcome?

While I don't have personal experience, I have a friend who is a year younger than myself (I am 30) who has a beautiful 1 yr old girl with down syndrome. Early on, the doctor was pretty sure of the diagnosis without any testing due to slow growth. While it is scary to think about having a child with any sort of developmental disability, with the right support, these children are capable of being quite functional. Right now, you don't know anything for sure. If it turns out that your child does have down syndrome, take this time to learn about it and the resources that are available to you in your community. I wish you all the best and regardless of the outcome, I am sure you will provide a wonderful and loving environment for your child.

I imagine it's much easier said than done to relax but honestly try not to worry too much about it. 1 in 230 is still a TINY chance. It is overwhelmingly likely that baby is healthy. :)

Thank you MgreenM
I think the wait is making it difficult. I have read a few forums & will likely do more research so I'm prepared just in case.

I imagine it's much easier said than done to relax but honestly try not to worry too much about it. 1 in 230 is still a TINY chance. It is overwhelmingly likely that baby is healthy. :)

Thanks! Being overly anxious & hormonal.....not a good combination.

Thank you MgreenM
I think the wait is making it difficult. I have read a few forums & will likely do more research so I'm prepared just in case.

If you know of an physical, speech or occupational therapists, they can also provide you with a lot of support. I am an OT and my friend is a speech therapist and she looked to me for a lot of support during the pregnancy. Her daughter is doing very well, becoming vocal and working on walking.

And yes, the waiting is always the worst! Whether you are waiting to find out good/bad news!

Just remember that means you have a 229/230 chance your baby WON'T have ds. :hugs:

Thanks Paperhearts
My honey keeps reminding me that the odds are in our favor but I can't help but worry a little.

Hmm, I had a high risk pregnancy with my first, and we had a 1:3 chance for Downs. That was pretty much from my NT measurement and bloods combined. We did CVS (MaterniT21 wasn't offered at the time) and came back positive, but for Turners Syndrome, rather then downs. But our NT measurement was so high, that we pretty much new the baby would have some chromosomal abnormality, just from that. It was 13mm! I was only 22 at the time, so age wasn't taken into the risk factor.

I'm sorry you are going through this, but your chances are pretty good, compared to what some people's risk come back as. I would try not to stress too much, hard I know! Will be interesting to see what your NT measurement is, as that is the most important part when determining the risk.

Good luck :hugs:

When we were expecting ds2 our nt and combined blood test gave us a risk of 1 in 48. If I remember correctly our nt measurement was 2.7mm.

We had a cvs done and that came back clear.
We then had a detailed scan at around 20 weeks with a consultant to check his heart as apparently the higher nt measurement can also be a sign of a heart defect. Again that was all fine, no issues at all. I worried throughout my whole pregnancy as i'd also had 4 losses when trying for him.
He's now 2 years old and is perfect. No health problems at all. I hope this might make you feel a little better as your odds are better than what ours was. Good luck, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you xx

From what I've read, the NT scan/test is not the most reliable there is...the Verify or MaterniT21 is far more accurate now in screening for trisomies and other abnormalities.

And I also agree with those who stated that your chance is still pretty small...

Good luck! :hugs:

that is so so hard to hear.. but just think god only gives you the things you can handle!! and if true, you will have such a beautiful little baby and such a sweetie!!! <3.. also, I know of someone who was told that also, and her baby ended up not having that..

If it makes you feel any better here in the UK anything above 1:150 is considered low risk. I don't think they offer any further testing unless my result was less than 1:150.

I had a 1:11 risk for trisomies 13, 18 and 1:17 for downs when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had the MaterniT21 (Dec 2012) and all came back fine. I had her in May last year, and she's healthy. Good luck. Oh, they told me 2 weeks for my results but I had the test on a Thurs and got my results the following Friday. Again, good luck.

That's less than 0.5% chance of downs!
I really wouldn't worry xx

While that is very overwhelming news, I agree that the odds are in your favour. It'd their due diligence to tell you this. But the chance of it happening are very slim! Keep positive..keep re-thinking the odds, all will be ok!:flower:

thank you for all the encouraging words. My honey made me promise to stay off the internet for at least 24hrs saturday since I've been obsessively searching for the outcome for odds similar to mine. Luckily we have a very supportive family that has prayed with me and I feel much better. Everyone is right, the odds are in our favor. Thanks again for calming this paranoid 1st time mom.
Wishing a happy and healthy 9mos to you all xo

I'm 35, and according to standard estimates, my chances are 1/200, which is 0.5%. That is not very likely. I'm going in one week from today for the materniT21 test also.

I'm 35, and according to standard estimates, my chances are 1/200, which is 0.5%. That is not very likely. I'm going in one week from today for the materniT21 test also.

Julia35
Good luck with your test. I'll be sure to update everyone when I get the results, please let me know how yours turns out as well :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->