• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2.5 year old not settling

laura109

Reaction score
I took my little girl to nursery monday last week for the first time. I decided it would be good for her to have something to do other than be at home with me. Its got to a point where the days feel hard to fill and im pregnant again and could do with a few hours to myself. That said i don't need her to go so i will only send her if she enjoys it.

We paid upfront...

The first time we went i filled out a form then left her for half an hour. The nursery was quiet & calm and she seemed happy. I felt positive.

The second day was supposed to be a full 3 hour session. The pre schoolers etc were lining the corridor at 9am. Aswel as the two year olds. I was confused myself at the chaos so you can imagine how my lg reacted. Toddlers were screaming everywhere but i managed over the noise to sit her down and leave. I looked through the door and she was painting. I left. 2 hours later i was asked to fetch her as she was unsettled. It sounds like she and 5 new children all cried and got sent home. She was relieved to get out there. Her keyworker said bring her back monday and we will do 2 hours or so.

I took her in yesterday and the two women in her room had the day off. They had staff covering who didn't know the kids. They were trying to speak to us when they could. But it was chaos. My lg cried and looked at me with fear. I had to reassure her I wasn't going to leave her. To be honest I couldn't if left her as she would of been scared sat there alone. The staff were rushing about waiting for 2 other screaming newbies to be picked up.

I played with her determined for her to enjoy it. Eventually a staff member said hello to her. Her tears stopped and she did puzzles. Washed her hands like the other kids. I presumed as ive paid fully that she would join in snack time but instead the women told me to come back thursday for another trial and said bye to her. I was abit speechless that she hadn't taken her over to the snack table as she was doing well. I walked home with another mum who said she had paid for two full days for her son and was getting rung up 20 mins into every session to collect him. She was also feeling like the nursery wasn't doing much to settle him.

Obviously its a new term so children will be screaming etc. u expect it. But I literally dont feel great about taking her back as i cant see how they will ever have time to settle the kids. They just dont seem to know whats what and it's expensive when my daughters not getting anything from it. Although i dont mind a couple of weeks settling in i cant see how next week will be any different and i cant see the point me waddling backwards and forewords again as i may aswel keep her at home as this much needed rest isn't happening at all and theres only so many hours i want to be in a room full of toddlers when i feel dizzy and have heartburn half the time lol.

Do u think its too young to send her? If by the end of the month shes not enjoying it im thinking of taking her out until she's entitled to free childcare. I want what's best for her xx

I would carry on. To be honest, the main problem sounds like the nursery. It doesn't sound like they are well staffed to handle the settling in process and have too many new ones settling in all at the same time, but I don't know if there is a solution to that other than going somewhere else (which may not be possible or desirable). When my daughter started, she was younger, but she was the only one starting when she did. It was a small private nursery, only about 25 children total, babies to 5 year olds. There was always a set of hands free and though she sobbed when we dropped her off every day for about 3 months, someone always had time to be with her. I think that sort of setting is better than the really big ones with multiple classes personally, but that's just my preference. But as you've already started and she does settle down when you leave, I would just carry on. I don't think it will be significantly less difficult if you were to stop and try again later. Once mine did settle in, she loved it and it was such a wonderful experience. She started school this month and it made the transition so much smoother I think as she had friends going into the same class and was used to the routine already.

Thank you. I do agree i so want it to work out well for all of us. Mainly my daughter though ofcourse. I will take her in tomorrow and see what its like. I feel like its too early to grumble at them if that makes sense. Im not over protective with her like that but i don't expect her to want to be left in a room when even i don't know who's responsible for her. You would expect the staff to have known who was coming in and which children they were with.

Unfortunately the next nursery is 30 minute walk away and they only do mornings or afternoons 5 days a week from 3. I dont want to loose her five days a week though as i do like the idea of her having 2-3 days at home till she starts school. Especially so she can play with her sibling abit as he grows. Its also would mean two hours walking a day for us and never able to make plans if that makes sense. Although if this is as our only option ill do it.

Fingers crossed it gets easier :) thanks for your reply xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->