2+ miscarriages? Read here!

Hi, On the NHS this was my case:
MMC in May that required D&C, got referred on the 24th May to the recurrent miscarriage and got an appointment for the 21st July. I got my bloods taken and had to go back for results on 7th September. Got more bloods taken and have to go back on 2nd Nov so all in all almost 6 months for me..argh it has been frustrating.
I understand your wanting to try again and that is fine. I am no doctor but what I would recommend is take a low dose aspirin a day as it may be all you need. After my first miscarriage my GP agreed that I should take an aspirin as it does no harm but can work wonders. I honestly believe that this is what got me to 9 weeks second time around. Sure enough with me having a clotting problem it did help but just not enough to thin my blood.
Low dose aspirin can help with implantation and if you do have any kind of clotting problem. I reckon its worth a try for you. I researched thoroughly on here before taking it and there is so many success stories. Blood clotting is one of the most common and treatable causes of recurrent miscarriages.
As much as your two miscarriages were far apart in timing it still kind of indicates an underlying issue...altho it could just be down to bad luck..its a strange thing.
I will be taking a losw dose aspirin whilst ttc and as soon as I get a BFP I will have heparin injections and progesterone.
When I go back for my blood results on the 2nd Nov. I will lose the head if they want to repeat anymore tests as I think I've been patient enough. Going private is def. expensive but I can totally understand why people do that. I will seriously consider it in the future if needs be.

Hi, On the NHS this was my case:
MMC in May that required D&C, got referred on the 24th May to the recurrent miscarriage and got an appointment for the 21st July. I got my bloods taken and had to go back for results on 7th September. Got more bloods taken and have to go back on 2nd Nov so all in all almost 6 months for me..argh it has been frustrating.
I understand your wanting to try again and that is fine. I am no doctor but what I would recommend is take a low dose aspirin a day as it may be all you need. After my first miscarriage my GP agreed that I should take an aspirin as it does no harm but can work wonders. I honestly believe that this is what got me to 9 weeks second time around. Sure enough with me having a clotting problem it did help but just not enough to thin my blood.
Low dose aspirin can help with implantation and if you do have any kind of clotting problem. I reckon its worth a try for you. I researched thoroughly on here before taking it and there is so many success stories. Blood clotting is one of the most common and treatable causes of recurrent miscarriages.
As much as your two miscarriages were far apart in timing it still kind of indicates an underlying issue...altho it could just be down to bad luck..its a strange thing.
I will be taking a losw dose aspirin whilst ttc and as soon as I get a BFP I will have heparin injections and progesterone.
When I go back for my blood results on the 2nd Nov. I will lose the head if they want to repeat anymore tests as I think I've been patient enough. Going private is def. expensive but I can totally understand why people do that. I will seriously consider it in the future if needs be.

Yes but if you think about it we are in exactly the same position now and are going to have exaclty the same treatment but you're not as out of pocket as I am!! So sometimes patience pays off but I am such an impatient person I think I would have sold my arm rather than wait!!!! My doctor does not know about my secret aspirin taking so I just wanted to ask whether your doctor has recommended you just take it all the time now?

Thanks ladies - that is really helpful. I'm 35 and so the thought of waiting 6 months scares the hell out of me.

My first mc (when I was 19) was caused (I think) by taking the morning after pill. I wasn't TTC and we had a split condom so took the pill. It failed and I fell pregnant only to mc at 7-8 weeks. f you go on to get pregnant (as I did), the morning after pill can harm the pregnancy and so I think it was likely caused by that.

My second pregnancy (the one in June) I carried to 9 weeks but it stopped developing at 7 weeks and I had a mmc - it did have a hb at one point but didn't make it. My third, I fell pregnant straight away again - I had what I thought was an AF but it stopped suddenly and it was positive but it just didn't develop properly (my digis never progressed from 1-2 weeks and my hcg just didn't rise correctly). Even though my mc happened at 6 weeks I don't think it really developed past 4/5 weeks.

So you can see that they were all very different - one had a possible cause, another developed a hb and so on, and the third was probably implantation issues (given the bleed etc).

I haven't done a great deal of research but isn't the aspirin for if you have implantation issues? Given that I carried one to 9 weeks, would that still be helpful?

I think we are going to try once more and if things go badly again then I might seek private help. It is expensive but I couldn't wait 6 months at my age. I've been waiting for years already! My sister also had two mc before she went on to have her beautiful daughter. Given the wait or the cost, I think we will try once more but it is good to know what to expect if and when we go down that road.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences - it really has helped.

Good luck ttc! :dust: and I have just started an aspirin thread in PAL forum so if this gathers pace it might be a useful reference point for whether aspirin's worth taking. I think you're right to try straight away not really because of your age but because all the facts and figs about mc's say to do just that and you're more likely to be successful!

Just out of interest which clinics / consultants you ladies going to????

I am not impressed with this new consultant so think I am trying to find another consultant that could help me based in London.

Thank you xxxx

My list includes: The Bridge Fertility Clinic (not really relevant for rmc), The Gynae Centre in central London (ok for a quick scan but expensive) myultrababy in Kingston (great for doing any test(s) you want, fast turnaround but v expensive. scans are supposed to be good quality there too so i am going to get a 4D one of my baby when it eventually decides to be bothered to make it to 12 weeks!) And my consultant now is Mr Atalla based at the QEII in Hertfordshire but I see him on a private basis. He was great with me and all my panicking during this last miscarriage. He was very good at giving me hope but not too much hope so he managed me well through the bad time. Also he is willing to treat empirically (anyway) and seems to have helped a lot of couples to have babies. I am sticking with him for the moment, even though it's always a 2 hour round trip to get to him,he is easy to get appointments with but again having your own consultant practically on call for every whim is expensive. Think we have clocked up another £600 bill for his services during the last mc but it was worth it to me. St Mary's and Prof Lesley Regan is supposed to be the best and I have now been referred to her on the NHS but of course...I'm not waiting! If i'm not pregnant by then, then great she can help, ptherwise so be it, ill go anyway and see what she says! Hope that's helpful! x

Reading all that back I think my approach to all this has been what some people might call manic and impulsive!! Perhaps you should get referred on the NHS anyway while you wait or go private - there's nothing stopping you doing that

Filipenko,

You mention that you on extra folic acid. You might want to ask your doctor about L-methylfolate. Because your are heterozygous for the MTHFR polymorphism, you have a limited ability to metabolize folic acid.
Folic acid is synthetic so it has no immediate benefit to the body and must complete a four-step process before it is converted to L-methylfolate. I work with NeevoDHA which contains L-methylfolate. L-methylfolate is 7 times more bioavailable than folic acid. It bypasses the MTHFR polymorphism and is directly available for metabolic processes such as DNA synthesis and repair.

I wish you the best of luck.

Filipenko,

You mention that you on extra folic acid. You might want to ask your doctor about L-methylfolate. Because your are heterozygous for the MTHFR polymorphism, you have a limited ability to metabolize folic acid.
Folic acid is synthetic so it has no immediate benefit to the body and must complete a four-step process before it is converted to L-methylfolate. I work with NeevoDHA which contains L-methylfolate. L-methylfolate is 7 times more bioavailable than folic acid. It bypasses the MTHFR polymorphism and is directly available for metabolic processes such as DNA synthesis and repair.

I wish you the best of luck.

Oh thank you! I am not actually on extra folic acid just 5mg at the moment and a blood test showed I had high levels of folic acid in my blood or 'folate' as they call it. I am heterozygous for the MTHFR polymorphism but it's the 'least' harmful one even though i have been told to take folic acid for the rest of my life. Do you think I still qualify for the L-methyfolate?

Even though you have the less severe form of the MTHFR polymorphism you still have a limited ability to break down folic acid. That is probably why you are on 5 mg of folic acid, which is about 10 times the amount found in most prenatal vitamins. You might want to ask your doctor about L-methylfolate. It is just something that you might want to try since you were taking folic acid when you had your losses. It cannot hurt and it could be the difference. My fingers are crossed for you!

Even though you have the less severe form of the MTHFR polymorphism you still have a limited ability to break down folic acid. That is probably why you are on 5 mg of folic acid, which is about 10 times the amount found in most prenatal vitamins. You might want to ask your doctor about L-methylfolate. It is just something that you might want to try since you were taking folic acid when you had your losses. It cannot hurt and it could be the difference. My fingers are crossed for you!

I will do that! thanks so much x

Age started ttc: 27 (Sept 2010)

Mc's: 1 MMC @ 6-7 weeks (by my dates I was 5+1) in Dec '10, 2 chemicals/earlies in Jun & Jul '11

Patterns in mc's: MMC started spotting at 4+5, admitted to hospital for "pregnancy of unknown location", ended up having a lap as suspected ectopic but ended in ERPC of MMC in uterus. Chemicals: started spotting on CD21 & 23 in Jun & Jul respectively, pregnancy symptoms built up, then started dying down as spotting continued, after 7 days of spotting AF came. Very heavy in Jun, but very light in Jul.

Time to conceive: 2 mths for first pregnancy, 6 mths for chemical, then 1 mth for next chemical. Currently spotting again, only 7DPO but it's been 3 mths since the last suspected loss.

Tests: None. Doctor doesn't believe my chemicals as I have no proof, but after me refusing to leave his office, has put me down for CD3 tests which I'll have done in Nov (provided this spotting ends badly of course)

Results: n/a

Chromosome of the fetus tested / result? Was told I would receive a letter with test results in December but that never happened, have no idea what happened and if there was anything abnormal found. Am operating on the basis that "no news is good news" and they found no reason for the MMC.

Treatment / did it work this time? n/a

Plan for next time: CD3 tests and seeing a different GP soon. Will start testing in 3 days to track if this is going to end as another early loss.

Any living children / mc before after?: No

Age started ttc: 27 (Sept 2010)

Mc's: 1 MMC @ 6-7 weeks (by my dates I was 5+1) in Dec '10, 2 chemicals/earlies in Jun & Jul '11

Patterns in mc's: MMC started spotting at 4+5, admitted to hospital for "pregnancy of unknown location", ended up having a lap as suspected ectopic but ended in ERPC of MMC in uterus. Chemicals: started spotting on CD21 & 23 in Jun & Jul respectively, pregnancy symptoms built up, then started dying down as spotting continued, after 7 days of spotting AF came. Very heavy in Jun, but very light in Jul.

Time to conceive: 2 mths for first pregnancy, 6 mths for chemical, then 1 mth for next chemical. Currently spotting again, only 7DPO but it's been 3 mths since the last suspected loss.

Tests: None. Doctor doesn't believe my chemicals as I have no proof, but after me refusing to leave his office, has put me down for CD3 tests which I'll have done in Nov (provided this spotting ends badly of course)

Results: n/a

Chromosome of the fetus tested / result? Was told I would receive a letter with test results in December but that never happened, have no idea what happened and if there was anything abnormal found. Am operating on the basis that "no news is good news" and they found no reason for the MMC.

Treatment / did it work this time? n/a

Plan for next time: CD3 tests and seeing a different GP soon. Will start testing in 3 days to track if this is going to end as another early loss.

Any living children / mc before after?: No

Hi So sorry for your losses and thanks for posting. I can't believe your doctor won't acknowledge your chemical losses (!), they're still losses. Also have you tried ringing the hospital for your results? Sometimes we do get forgotten about. I rang the hospital yesterday to ask a question about my recent operation and they said: "Oh i'll just check to see if your histology results are in" Well it turns out that my 'products of conception' are having two tests: one a histology report and another the chromosome testing. They never told me that, I only knew about the chromosome one. I don't even know what histology is! I will next week though and i'll post on here and let you know. Might be worth a phone call to check up?? After 3 mc's you really are entitled to support and tests. Could you arrange to see another doctor ? :hugs:

Thanks Filipenko. Doctor doesn't believe my chemicals as I never did any HPTs. But my acupuncturist knows my GPs office quite well and has recommended a different doctor, who I want to go see before my CD3 test in case she wants to add extras on.

I was going to phone the hospital in January but decided I had to let it go to try to heal. If my current spotting turns out to be another chemical (this time I'm testing!!!) then perhaps I'll call them.

Histology is when they analyse the actual tissues of the product of conception. Chromosome testing looks purely at the genetics of the foetus, histology will look at error in structure and probably any disease as well. That's how it works in normal histology, anyway! (Almost become a microbiologist so have waaaay too much knowledge about this stuff for comfort)

Thanks Filipenko. Doctor doesn't believe my chemicals as I never did any HPTs. But my acupuncturist knows my GPs office quite well and has recommended a different doctor, who I want to go see before my CD3 test in case she wants to add extras on.

I was going to phone the hospital in January but decided I had to let it go to try to heal. If my current spotting turns out to be another chemical (this time I'm testing!!!) then perhaps I'll call them.

Histology is when they analyse the actual tissues of the product of conception. Chromosome testing looks purely at the genetics of the foetus, histology will look at error in structure and probably any disease as well. That's how it works in normal histology, anyway! (Almost become a microbiologist so have waaaay too much knowledge about this stuff for comfort)

Oh thanks, so what specific kinds of things could they find in histology if it's just the tissue? Perhaps something like the cells to see if they look normal or diseased? I kind of understand what you mean but not too sure! I know what you mean about just letting it go... You know the best pregnancy tests for early testing are first response but wait a while for the line to show up - I threw mine away thinking it was negative then half an hour later rummaged through the bin to check again and there was a line!!! I have never actually experienced a negative test so counting my blessings there - I just can't keep them!! Oh and I found the clearblue 'blue cross' tests good too but they get bad press. I usually get a positive by 10dpo. i'm actually 'trying again' now and it's only 10 days past my d&c operation!! I am so desperate! x :hugs:

Age started ttc: 16 & 19

Mc's: 2, one at 11 weeks another at 6 (just now)

Patterns in mc's: HCG levels were not rising right and not doubling, bleeding in early pregnancy.

Time to conceive: 1st - 5 months 2nd - 6 months

Tests: 1st mc scan of ovaries (everything was fine) 2nd nothing as of yet as im going through it just now.

Results: All were clear

Chromosome of the fetus tested / result? N/A

Treatment / did it work this time? N/A

Plan for next time: Not worry about pregnancy, just gonna try to enjoy it next time.

Any living children / mc before after?: Nope

Age started ttc: 16 & 19

Mc's: 2, one at 11 weeks another at 6 (just now)

Patterns in mc's: HCG levels were not rising right and not doubling, bleeding in early pregnancy.

Time to conceive: 1st - 5 months 2nd - 6 months

Tests: 1st mc scan of ovaries (everything was fine) 2nd nothing as of yet as im going through it just now.

Results: All were clear

Chromosome of the fetus tested / result? N/A

Treatment / did it work this time? N/A

Plan for next time: Not worry about pregnancy, just gonna try to enjoy it next time.

Any living children / mc before after?: Nope

Hi Lauren, so sorry for your losses, it's heartbreaking isn't it? I like your PMA about just chilling out and hoping for the best. Can I ask, did you ever have early scans which showed you were behind dates? Mine always ended up being a week behind. Did your hcg level ever double normally? Mine started to double and then it only rose by a tiny bit so they though it was an ectopic but it wasn't and in the end it had a heartbeat. It's so annoying when we do everything we can to have a healthy pregnancy and others smoke, drink and whatever else and are absolutely fine! I find it really frustrating that they never know the reason for mc's. Think i'll take up smoking and drinking and then I should have a healthy baby next time! Sorry you had to post on here but thanks :hugs:

I've always had early scans due to bleeding, they could never date them. The first one the baby didn't grow past 7 weeks and the 2nd one they didn't even see a sac so I'm rather gutted. I've to go back Monday for more bloods and a scan to confirm it's happening. I'm about 6 weeks pregnant and it's been hell so far, they started out at 251 on Thursday last week, 600 on Monday this week, 770 on Wednesday and just under 900 yesterday so they offered me an abortion yesterday and I refused. I think I'll just get hammered the next Pregnancy as all these stupid girls who get pregnant and smoke the whole way thru it and get drunk always seem to have healthy babies and we suffer miscarriages, gets me so riled up, I'm overweight that's the only thing wrong with me! Arghhhh pisses me off!

does someone have any advice?
I so far havent had any successful pregnancies, i had my first miscarriage very very young i was only 16, i went through hell for 11 weeks, the scooped what was left of my baby up into a test tube and wanted me to spend the night in a ward full of newborns, what they done to me was horrific.
I was then booked in for a scan on my 17th birthday to confirm i wouldnt need a d&c.
Im now with the man of my dreams and when we seen that positive it was actually amazing.
Unfortunatly we have only known for 2 weeks were expecting for the blood then to start, (brown blood which indicates old blood not fresh)
up in A&E they took my bloods and the hcg level was 251 4 days later they were at 600 (more than doubled) 2 days later they were at 770 yesterday they were at 880. still under 1000 which is when u see at least something in the scan, i got a scan at 770 and didnt see anything at all which she then said i had already miscarried or i wasnt as far on as i thought.
I got a phone call off the midwife last night who then (wait for it).......... offered me an ABORTION! i naturally declined! my other offer was come back monday for more bloods and a scan! i chose the 2nd option, something just didnt seem right at all with the abortion its like loosing that tiny bit of hope.

Well the brown blood that started on thursday after my scan was very light and a few tiny bits of tissue but nothing major as it was all brown, but im not sure if thats down to having sex the night before and maybe he made a tear in my cervix im not sure, id be alot more worried if it was bright red.
the bleeding stopped last night and it went back to looking like healthy white discharge but today it started again im slightly confused but i will just need to wait and see what the scan brings................. im so gutted but i havent had bright red blood like the last time......... which gives me some form of .......hope

I feel so lost, empty and confused, why give me the gift of being able to give life and snatch it away from me!?

My mate has just had her boy, she knows wat I'm going thru and she still wants to run it in my face she's had a healthy baby boy! I have no real mates and Kevin won't open up and tell me how ge is feeling!
Sorry to rant and rave, I just need to talk to someone who understands what I'm going thru!

L xx

does someone have any advice?
I so far havent had any successful pregnancies, i had my first miscarriage very very young i was only 16, i went through hell for 11 weeks, the scooped what was left of my baby up into a test tube and wanted me to spend the night in a ward full of newborns, what they done to me was horrific.
I was then booked in for a scan on my 17th birthday to confirm i wouldnt need a d&c.
Im now with the man of my dreams and when we seen that positive it was actually amazing.
Unfortunatly we have only known for 2 weeks were expecting for the blood then to start, (brown blood which indicates old blood not fresh)
up in A&E they took my bloods and the hcg level was 251 4 days later they were at 600 (more than doubled) 2 days later they were at 770 yesterday they were at 880. still under 1000 which is when u see at least something in the scan, i got a scan at 770 and didnt see anything at all which she then said i had already miscarried or i wasnt as far on as i thought.
I got a phone call off the midwife last night who then (wait for it).......... offered me an ABORTION! i naturally declined! my other offer was come back monday for more bloods and a scan! i chose the 2nd option, something just didnt seem right at all with the abortion its like loosing that tiny bit of hope.

Well the brown blood that started on thursday after my scan was very light and a few tiny bits of tissue but nothing major as it was all brown, but im not sure if thats down to having sex the night before and maybe he made a tear in my cervix im not sure, id be alot more worried if it was bright red.
the bleeding stopped last night and it went back to looking like healthy white discharge but today it started again im slightly confused but i will just need to wait and see what the scan brings................. im so gutted but i havent had bright red blood like the last time......... which gives me some form of .......hope

I feel so lost, empty and confused, why give me the gift of being able to give life and snatch it away from me!?

My mate has just had her boy, she knows wat I'm going thru and she still wants to run it in my face she's had a healthy baby boy! I have no real mates and Kevin won't open up and tell me how ge is feeling!
Sorry to rant and rave, I just need to talk to someone who understands what I'm going thru!

L xx

I understand! It's such an awful awful thing to go through, especially when there's no lucky break of a smooth running pregnancy in between the mc's. I really know and understand what you're going through and men, well they find it incredibly difficult to show their emotions. My husband wants to start talking about the football scores as soon as I mention anything pregnancy related and he moves off the topic as soon as possible. Please don't feel bad for feeling so bad. I find it very difficult to cope on a day to day basis and lots of my friends are having babies successfully and it's really hurtful: All sorts of things go running through your head, "Why me?" etc.

In all honest your hcg numbers don't look so great at the moment :hugs::hugs: BUT there are SO many success stories out there of successful pregnancies with non-doubling hcg levels (in 48 hours) so I would prepare for the worst but expect the best. Also 50% of all women who bleed during pregnancy go on to be successful and the old blood is a good sign. Do you get pregnant easily? I have to keep reminding myself of this too but the fact is that the vast majority of women who miscarry go on to have successful pregnancies. It's just that we are slowed down by the miscarriages which is sooooooooooooo frustrating!!:growlmad: and emotionally very painful - I actually see a counsellor once a week now to help me to try to cope with all this. There is no way you should have a d&c yet, it's far too early to tell. I'm here to listen to rants as I regularly have them myself!! x :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->