• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2 weeks just bumped up to 2.5 oz....waste?

sprite30

Reaction score
So we just bumped up to 2.5 oz today as dd was getting really hungry after just 2 hours and so now that were at the 2.5 oz she seems content for 3 hours.

My question is are you making 4 oz bottles and wasting 1.5 oz or are you making batches and refrig and warming it as needed? I made a batch today and refrigerated it for use all day today but that's totally not realistic for me to do overnight as we live in a 2 story house and the last thing I want to do at 2 am is go downstairs and warm a bottle. So dh and I think well just make up 4 oz and waste 1.5 oz just at night. Is that silly of us?

I have a flask with cooled boiled water and a thermos with hot water. I put then on the bedside table along with a sterilised bottle that had the powder measured into it. Pour in half the amount of boiling water, shake then top up with cooled water. It takes about 30 seconds and you have a perfect temp bottle with just the right amount of formula in it. I just keep everything in a little basket and take it up with me when I go to bed.

Why not just use a scoop and a half and make up a 3 oz bottle instead of making up a 4 oz one? That way you will waste less and if he is still a little hungry you have some extra.

Why not just use a scoop and a half and make up a 3 oz bottle instead of making up a 4 oz one? That way you will waste less and if he is still a little hungry you have some extra.

This is what I do since my son eats 3 oz. I know it's not completely accurate since it's a half scoop but I don't want to waste an ounce every time since his formula is $30 a can and it's not even a very big can. I haven't had to buy it yet (had some samples), but I'm not looking forward to having to.

We do end up wasting 1-1.5 oz everytime...sometimes 2 oz. Mostly because I'm lazy. One day I tried to premake and refrigerate but I found myself agitated when I had to pour and warm the bottle and who has time to be agitated when you have a newborn.

We got lucky in that were using a generic brand from sams club costs $23 for 48 oz of powder so even with some waste it's still cheaper then the name brand.

I have a feeling she'll be up to 4 oz in no time at all. I don't trust myself measuring a half of a scoop.

I hate wasting formula haha. I frequently do the half scoop, and sometimes even a quarter scoop. Like, I will make up a 5.5 oz bottle which means 2 3/4 scoops. I don't think you have to be that exact. I wouldn't remeasure the water if I was making up a 4 oz bottle in the middle of the night and accidentally poured in 4 and 1/8th ounces of water for example, so I feel the same way about the formula powder... close enough is good enough for me! I am probably in the minority though and you should do what you are comfortable with.

What milk are you on? My aptimel tub is one scoop=one oz.

You could maybe get a scoop off someone who has one of these?

What milk are you on? My aptimel tub is one scoop=one oz.

You could maybe get a scoop off someone who has one of these?

I think it's an American thing all the Uk formulas I've had have been 1 scoop = 1 ounce too.

It must be a US thing. Here all of the formulas that I have seen are 1 scoop per 2 ounces. I bet they just do it so people waste more and therefore buy more.

It must be a US thing. Here all of the formulas that I have seen are 1 scoop per 2 ounces. I bet they just do it so people waste more and therefore buy more.

I bet they do do it on purpose, that's a shame. It would be so nice if it was 1 scoop per one ounce it would make it easier for me.

I hate wasting formula haha. I frequently do the half scoop, and sometimes even a quarter scoop. Like, I will make up a 5.5 oz bottle which means 2 3/4 scoops. I don't think you have to be that exact. I wouldn't remeasure the water if I was making up a 4 oz bottle in the middle of the night and accidentally poured in 4 and 1/8th ounces of water for example, so I feel the same way about the formula powder... close enough is good enough for me! I am probably in the minority though and you should do what you are comfortable with.

Turns out you were right Erinprime, it doesn't have to be that exact! Here I was using the scoop from the sample similac can when measuring the generic formula and they are actually completely different sized scoops and I had no idea. The similac scoop is 8.3 grams and the generic scoop is 8.7 grams....oops I may just try that one and half scoop after all.

You'd think all these scoops would be the same ...duh, I feel alittle stupid right now.

One scoop does 1.7oz here (50ml) and there was always waste once Sophie went to formula.

That's so strange! You think it would be standard. Want me to post you one lol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->