2 weeks old wanting more than 4oz?

holidaysan

DS + Bump
Reaction score
LO is on aptamil AR and is doing great on it. I upped him from 3oz to 4oz 2 days ago and he was fine. He fed every 3-4 hours.

Now 2 days later he's hungry 2-2.5 hours later and is draining 4oz bottles??

Is he drinking to much. 5oz seems way to much for his age. He weighed 7lb 10oz born and was weighed on Monday and is 7lb 4oz.

I had to up DD3 to 5oz at 2 and a half weeks old, and then last week had to up her to 6oz as she was draining 5oz sometimes! She usually takes 4-6oz every 3 hours (sometimes will go less thatn this though!). Luckily she has recently only started waking once after 10pm for a feed, usually around 3-4am, then sleeping until 7-8am. xxx

LO only wakes once in the night but during the day he makes up for it lol. Do you think I should go up another ounce or wait and see if he settles down? I'm a bit unsure of myself as with DS he had reflux and drank to much which made it worse for him.

Xx

I'd put another ounce in the bottles and see how he does. The way to know a baby is taking in the right amount of formula for them is if there's about a half ounce or so left in the bottle after they're not interested in drinking anymore. If he takes in too much he'll just spit up the excess and then you'll know that's too much for his belly. If he keeps it all down though and is fine, then he's fine on that amount.

Some babies will drink "too much" just because even once they're full they still want to keep suckling for comfort, in that case you can use a pacifier. The formula he's on though, is that for spitting up a lot? (I'm in the US and our brands/names are different) He could have the silent reflux that burns the throat a bit (all newborns have some reflux, just some more than others) and if that's the case then he could be wanting to drink more too sooth it.

Either way, if he keeps it all down and isn't having belly pains, then it's the right amount for him. :) If he's spitting up right after each feeding (other than a tiny bit with a burp) then it may be a little too much and you can stay with the 4 ounces and try giving him a pacifier afterwards and see if he likes that and seems content. The wanting to eat every 2.5 hours is normal for his age.

Hi there, haven't read anyone elses replies but thought i'd share.

My LO is 2 weeks tomorrow (saturday), we BF for a week then switched to bottle but he was draining 3 ounces and still crying for more so we upped it to 4 when he was just over a week old. He is now draining that but i've been a bit reluctant to up it to 5, like you said it just seems so much at that age so was considering putting him on hungry baby milk instead...however, i spoke to my health visitor yesterday and she advised against hungry baby milk unless absolutely nessesary as LOs tummy can disagree with the change and that giving him 5 ounces is more than fine as long as you wind them after every ounce just so they don't sick up too much or get trapped wind. She said not to obsess over guidelines for feeding, babies do not overfeed and will stop when they are full.

Hope this all makes sense, i'm half asleep right now lol xx

Babies won't over eat and if they do they'll bring it back up again up the oz their growing all the time so they change so often. Some days they might be hungier then other x

As others have suggested try the extra ounce. It may be a growth spurt so lo may go back down n quantity or you may just have a hungry one. Ds was going through 5oz every 3.5-4hrs at 2-3 weeks. He's now 13 weeks and will sometimes polish off 9oz. He does have silent reflux but after being medicated he's better but still drinking as much. And oddly he's not gaining weight according to what the charts say (dropped from 91st to just over 25th centime). Don't know how, he's already in some 6-9m clothes... So don't worry about over feeding as it apparently does nothing for my lo!

Lol. Thanks for the replies. I've kept him in 4oz and he's settled down now. He is a bit constipated though :( think its due to the reflux milk

My LO is 3 weeks and she takes 4oz every 3 hours. Sometimes more sometimes less. She gained 1lb3oz (wow!) in 3 weeks but HV super happy with her. Baby's can't overeat and as long as he is winding, peeing and pooping you're doing a great job! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->