2015 MARCH-MALLOWS... Due in March 2015!! Come join us!

Ha! Nelly, I hope you don't start getting personalized Jack presents!

I hope the cramps ease up, Bookwrm.

Girls have had masculine nicknames for ages! It's hardly news to call a Charlotte Charlie... Some people!

I've heard sizing estimates are way off, too. I'm curious to see how T is measuring, but the ultrasound tech we always get never tells us much.

So I found a dress at the thrift store awhile ago that's ok for my shower, but I don't love it. Motherhood put one I really like on clearance, but once you factor in getting it here this week, it's right back up to non-clearance price :( Grrr.... If we have time tomorrow, I may see if I can find it in a store. Maybe I'll try on all the maternity dresses I have and try to convince myself to wear one of them.

Is everyone doing a shower before hand or is anyone like me and superstitious so doing a meet and greet after the baby is safely here?

I actually have most of the things we need and am horribly disorganized even with those! Although you will all be proud of me, I finally bit the bullet and ordered some nursery bedding and decor for the new baby. Felt a bit like it might "jinx" things but so far I've stayed sane! Thank heavens you guys don't judge me! :) one step at a time right!?

I've got nothing dove for this kiddo. Other than having most gear due to having two kids already. Need to sort out nursery, clothes, and probably tons I'm not even thinking of!

You do whatever you have to do, DrMum! I definitely wanted the shower, I know people will buy things, and I'd rather they buy things I actually want.

We will be having 2 showers. One with dh's side of the family and some friends on that side before baby gets here and then one after from my side of the family with some friends there too after he arrives.

No shower here, but we don't need anything other than small things. A lot of friends and family have given boy clothes hand me downs so we don't need much at all. Just diapers lol!

The hospital tour was short and sweet. It was nice to see how everything happens. Also happy the nursery is so close. I had tons of questions but DH asked the most important one for Labour partners, where can we get coffee? It was hilarious. All the husbands agreed that it was a good question.

Drmum: I think your in the safe zone. I did not have a baby shower even though I would have loved one. Friends have been mailing me tidbits so its nice. We went ahead and bought what we needed. Now its mostly wants that are leftover.
My looms arrived in the mail..time to make hats..lol. just a few more sewing projects. So glad DH is okay with my sewing machine and fabric everywhere.

DrMum, I'm of the opinion that whatever makes you feel the most comfortable is what you should go with. Normally I'm incredibly superstitious so I definitely understand your mindset. I'm having 2 showers because it's traditional here. No one really does a meet and greet. Plus, I have nothing for this little one and figure it would be chaotic doing one in the muddy wet nasty month of March with a baby with a defective lung.

Squirrel- that would definitely be my husband's question too! Glad the tour went well. Ours is on Valentine's day of all days lol

The leg cramps eased a bit but I pushed too much getting clothes sorted and everything today. I did get some leftover soup into the freezer for when the baby comes though! I was a bit hormonal and cross with DH tonight though. Why must the man decide to come out and spend time with me when I'm smack in the middle of doing stuff so he just gets in the way?!

I'll confess to making a mental note to myself when we passed the coffee shop in the hospital lobby :D I'm sure I won't want it in labor, but I'll want it after!

I'm all done with casseroles and taking a break. I have seven in the freezer now! Nice big ones, so they should last a couple weeks unless we eat them for every meal. And of course I made a test enchilada casserole for tonight while I was at it ;)

We are planning on doing freezer meals at the beginning of February. I may add more to what we make though. Do up some favorites cause when we do our big cook we aren't fans of everything cooked. We get together with a bunch of people and all decide on 5-6 meals and the do up huge batches of them and divide them out.

Oh, that sounds fun! I've done it with just one friend, but it could get interesting with a crowd. I went with familiar recipe this time, but I may have some fun with the next batch.

So far I have 2 containers of chicken taco soup/chilli frozen from what I made tonight, plus we ate it tonight and are having leftovers of it tomorrow. I have to send it to my mom's though, because we don't have a deep-freeze yet and our freezer is small. Next on the list is lasagnas.

We are not having a shower, we will do a Jewish traditional baby naming sometime after she's born (probably after Passover [Easter-time]) and we're likely doing it in Montreal which is a schlep but we did all the wedding stuff here so alas! Plus, he said people will just buy us stuff after she's born. I'm pretty nervous we won't be ready though, I keep mentioning the things we absolutely need (diapers, wipes, baby wash, diaper genie, a wrap to wear her, I would like a belly band to hold my insides where they go) and he's getting frustrated with me; I'm probably nagging, but I'm 32.5 weeks preg and the doc said I can go any time after 37 weeks, so I need to feel secure and those are the things I need to feel that way. Luckily we have furniture, the room is painted, and we have clothes coming out of our ying yangs! But I still feel there's so much to do! Oh I need to find a nightie to wear during labour too...

I think it's necessary to feel like you're on top of things if this is your first (baby) rodeo. Having a newborn can feel so overwhelming at times, so you don't want to be worrying about not having everything sorted before the birth. When you've already been down this road, you have a better perspective of what you can do in what amount of time, and you tend to pare down to the essentials.

That's one of the reasons it's sometimes frowned upon to have showers for 2nd+ babies because you should have a handle on all of this already! Unfortunately baby showers do not exist in France, but the government gives you 800 euros in your 7th month to buy baby stuff! Since we have almost everything we need that money will be used for a new laptop and tuition for DD to start school in the fall (eek!).

As for me, I still need to buy some baby laundry detergent to wash clothes/bedding and ask DH to find the car seat and bouncy seat in basement storage so I can wash the covers.

I love the idea of the meal exchange. Kind of like a Christmas cookie exchange without 6 dozen cookies to ice! Wondering if we could make that work here....!

In this area the done thing is for people to cook for a family with a new baby for the first 10-14 days. After our daughter died we also were treated to the revolving door of food! People were super kind but it was a little overwhelming at times. Maybe this time will be different when not in the throes of uber bereavement, opening the door won't be quite such a mind struggle. I did find it really interesting what people made us. I was never sure if they cooked what THEY liked to eat, or what they thought WE the immigrants to canada would like to eat! It was a real sociological experiment!

MissFrick, do I need to talk to that hubby!? There are some things you absolutely NEED before you have the baby - diapers, wipes, sleepers, a couple of hats, blankets, face cloths, burp cloths, bath stuff (you'll probably have a baby with a tonne of hair so the little fine toothed combs are necessary to prevent cradle cap), nail clipper, a bed and a carseat. I definitely recommend getting a wrap as well. It saved my life last time. I wouldn't worry about a nighty to labour in, unless you're willing to chuck it :S I wore the hospital gown and it was covered in blood after the delivery..... I would recommend buying a nighty or two with buttons down the front though for after delivery. Easier to BF in, and if you have a C-section you won't want to wear pants. They are on sale at Loblaws right now :)

Frenchie, that is awesome that France gives you 800 euros to prep for baby! I am jealous.

Also jealous of everyone making these awesome casseroles and meals lol. Making me hungry!

DrMum, we are doing a meet & greet, not a shower. I feel like having a shower would jinx it too, maybe not exactly jinx it, but I guess I am just so much more aware now of all the things that can still go wrong that I don't feel like I can celebrate until the baby is home.

I also was telling a friend yesterday that I am still completely unable to picture our family with a newborn. I have not been able to picture baby in the crib, holding her, changing her, what she might look like, how DS will react- nothing. The only times I have even had dreams of the baby she has died every time. I'm excited and I'm glad that everything is going well but I am quite aware of how quickly things can change. :hugs: We will get through it!

I'm also totally jealous of everyone cooking! I have several recipes that I want to make, I wanted to start this week but we are right in the middle of tax season so I just don't have the time or energy! By the time I have done as much work as I need to I just feel like lying down. I'm hoping I can start in 2 weeks, otherwise I will probably end up waiting until end of Feb when I start working part time.

:hugs: lilfooshfoosh and DrMum! Pregnancy is so difficult as it is without having a previous loss. I can't imagine.

Frenchie, So jealous that you get a nice check to help with baby. Wish our government did the same. We have to wait until next tax season to get some monetary relief. I am really looking forward to that. I figure the money will go into our egg next since I've spent so much money and we had to cut back on our deposits since we got pregnant. I'm determined to have a good nest egg up before we leave Florida so we can get a good home.
Lilfoosh: I don't even want to think about taxes yet. We are waiting for our paperwork to arrive so I can do everything. My husband is pretty useless at doing anything other than making the money. =) he used to go out and pay a tax person to prepare his taxes each year before I met him. I'm so used to doing it myself, takes about 2-3 hours and I'm done. All he does is ask, how much do we get back. My reply each year, is "nothing"...everything that comes back goes into a nest egg. He doesn't like that answer but it needs to get done. He's the type of person that goes on spending sprees when he has money in his wallet. However, he has come a long way in the last 4 years. I think my spend thrift attitude is finally rubbing off on him.:thumbup:
Teilana: sounds pretty cool that you get so many people into the mass cooking. Wish I had more hands to chop up everything. We're going to Sears in the in the last week of January to pick up a chest freezer than the cooking is ON... Hoping I have enough energy to put up meals that will last 10-14 days. I wrote down ten recipes that I can use and figured I can make 2-3 of each. Of course, everything is easier said than done but we will see.
Weird dreams, I had a really weird one after my nap. I dreamt I went on a huge camping trip with close family friends with baby. I had to breastfeed in front of everyone and they stared. It was the whole deer in the headlights look. Then my DH comes over and says he in line next. Like I am some milking machine. I wake up before he attaches himself. It was so weird I called him at work saying he is never permitted to do that. lol. He laughed at me saying not to worry that all the "goods" goes to baby.

mommasquirrel, I have always done my own taxes too. I kind of like doing it though! But this year I have to figure out how to include my side business... Will probably need help with that. Our taxes for maternity leave suck in Canada. They don't take enough off, so when you file your taxes for the year off, you get stuck paying back a fair amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->