22 week scan - sonographer vague about sex!

MrsHelenH

Reaction score
Today we had a 22 week scan as at the 20 week scan baby was on its tummy so they couldn't get all the measurements.

We were hoping to find out the sex so I asked if she could tell us. She then replied "oh, did you want to know?" as if it was frowned upon. She then had a brief look and said "I'm going to go for a boy".

Now to us that didn't seem that she was so sure about it so I'm a bit confused - think we will be decorating in a neutral style just in case!

How many of you have had a similar experience with vague ish comments from sonographers?

I think that some don't like to sound too positive incase they are wrong. Seem to see that a lot on here. I suppose the purpose of that scan isn't to find out the gender so they won't spend so much time on it but you would think whilst they were checking everything anyway it wouldn't take too much longer haha!!!
X x

if she told you quickly then i would say boy.

It took it ages for her to figure that my little girl was in fact a girl.

She probably just forgot to ask if you wanted to know as they are suppose to ask. xxx

I did too! We had our scan on tuesday she was coming to end of the scan and I asked her weather she could tell us and she joking replied no, but then little one had its legs closed and it was only at the last minute that she said it was a boy and that he managed to open his legs a little for a second - OH didn't seen it on the screen - I did vaguely though. But think we will be decorating neutral just in case too ! xx

What a dick. You should tell someone at the hospital about this and tell them what she said. Not very reassuring and she doesn't sound very professional. This is arguably the most exciting thing about pregnancy - finding out the sex. So for her to be such a prat to you is out of order. I'd demand another scan ;) xxx

That's virtually the same as what happened/was said at my 20 week scan! Luckily I'd had a private gender scan and both had agreed. But I wouldn't have been convinced just by my NHS scan!

With Skyla the lady said definitely a girl which is rare as I don't think they are supposed to seem 100 %!

I had a private gender scan done at reassur3d at the thornbury, they are done by Tom farrell who is a consultant at the jessops at sheffield. took him seconds to spot the boy bits (luckily the little one had its bum pointing outwards)
It cost £50 if you want another peek/confirmation its a boy.

did she show u the "bits"? our sonographer told us that she couldn't be 100% certain (covering her back, obviously) but said it looks like a girl, and showed us the "hamburger" :haha:

I had my scan yesterday, couldnt miss the fact it was a boy! Laying there waiting with his legs wide open "look at my package!" for not knowing what else we were looking at, that, was most obvious.
Sorry yours was vague...how frustrating!

I think a lot of the time they sound very vague and wont tell you anything for definite regarding gender, just to cover themselves! But I think if they werent very sure they would tell you they cant tell rather than say it could or might be a boy/girl. I think if she told you a boy, she's fairly certain

Our sonographer said I'd say girl but if you buy anything pink I would keep the receipts.. I didnt feel very convinced so we got a babybond scan where we were reassured that we are having a girl and she showed us her ladybits lol, there was no doubting it. She said to us 'well I'm supposed to tell you that its not one hundred percent certain on the sex but theres really no need when you see how clear her bits are, its a bit rude really!' she was lovely and it was worth every penny for the reassurance. xx

Thanks all!

She didn't show us the bits to say whether it was a boy or girl, I didn't even see the screen as she had it turned away, according to my hubby she had a quick glance around the baby but he saw nothing.

We did see something between its legs though earlier when she was showing us the baby so maybe that was its boy bits! I imagine they would be more developed as the scan was at 22 weeks.

Everyone seems to think I am having a boy now though as apparently I am "big all over" slightly insulting but I am starting to feel pretty huge ;)

i had a very vague answer too!
luckily I booked a gender scan where they were definate on girl then my sonographer at my 20 wk scan said 'i see no evidence of it being a boy but we can never tell' annoying :(
id book a scan! i loveddd my private scan, they hook the screen up to a big flat screen tv on the wall so me and my partner were able to have a good, clear view of the baby xxx

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that some of you weren't satisfied with the outcome of the scan, specifically identifying the gender of your baby. We would appreciate any feedback that you have, so please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best Wishes

Reassur3d

Today we had a 22 week scan as at the 20 week scan baby was on its tummy so they couldn't get all the measurements.

We were hoping to find out the sex so I asked if she could tell us. She then replied "oh, did you want to know?" as if it was frowned upon. She then had a brief look and said "I'm going to go for a boy".

Now to us that didn't seem that she was so sure about it so I'm a bit confused - think we will be decorating in a neutral style just in case!

How many of you have had a similar experience with vague ish comments from sonographers?

Mine was totally vague and non committed but she still said girl once we pushed her. I then had a private scan in which it was confirmed I am having a Princess!.

You can bet your life, if they say a gender at all, it will be correct, or they wouldn't say anything at all. I'd say congrats you are team blue!!
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->