• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

2nd time mums - are you getting a new matress?

hypnorm

Reaction score
Just wondered if the 2nd time mums would be getting a new matress for moses basket or cot? i know they recommend it but i was going to give mine a good airing and use the same matress again.
Is that bad?

I'm getting a new one for my moses basket and cot, i thinks its something to do with the baby that first used the mattress leaving a dent where their head and body has been? (does that make sense lol) dnt think its to do with if its clean enough x

Turn it over and it should be fine?

Thats what i did and it has no dents, just turned it round and over afew times when Ewan was sleeping on it, bit like you are supposed to turn your own matress every few months,

They make cot matresses for kids from 0-5y and Ewan is only 3, so I don't see why it wouldn't be alright? I'm not an expert though

I dont know but my mw told me that everychild needs a new mattress because of the compression from the previous one, wether you can see dents or not

I used the same cot matress with Layla and finnley .
I didnt moses basket one , But thats because they had a different basket each .
This time i have a new matress but only because that one looks a little used now and i could afford it so thought i will invest , If we ever decide to have another baby i will use the one this baby will be using :) .
My kids are perfectly healthy hun . xxx .

The moses basket is new as i got a new basket for Abby. I am using the same Cot mattress though as Ella is only 22 months old and is going into a bed in December and has a new mattress for her bed. So Abby will go into Ellas old cot bed. :hugs:

They make cot matresses for kids from 0-5y and Ewan is only 3, so I don't see why it wouldn't be alright? I'm not an expert though

Sorry should have said, Ewan has been in a proper single bed since about 2yrs old. so the matress hasnt been used for over a year. and the moses basket for well over 2 years!

Finances are tight so i think we will be using the same ones that Ewan had.

I still don't think it'll do any harm, keep the window ajar when she's here and air will circulate x

If it helps any I have my sister's moses basket and I'm not getting a new mattress. We're getting one for the cotbed though.

I hadn't thought about that Hypnorm!

Charlie is in his cotbed (converted into the bed). We've just picked up a lovely 18months - 5 years bed from Freecycle, and the mattress was never used by the lady that gave it us (still sealed in the wrapper), so Charlie will be going into that one when we do the room, then the new baby will go into Charlie's cot.

When we bought the cotbed, we paid £80 extra for a sprung mattress instead of a foam one. I turn it every time I wash his sheets, so can't see it being a problem.

We're struggling for cash as well, so will be re-using this one.

I bought new each time as recommended by the FSID....I didn't feel it was worth taking any chances. Anyway, people are always struggling what to buy for us coz we already have everything so they gave us Mothercare vouchers and we bought a plush, sprung mattress with a removable washable cover:happydance:

Id give it a good bang and hoover it to get rid of any dust that it might have collected, give it an airing and turn it over, it should be fine.

have heard if its for a sibling its fine to use the same mattress, although don't know the ins and outs

This has been playing on my mind since I read it, and I've done some searching. I've found a very long artilcle on causes and prevention of cot-death here:

https://www.familyrapp.com/Results/archive_results_details.asp?ArticleID=985

Feel free to read the whole article, but the main bit I found was this:

So what is the explanation for the rising rate of cot death from one sibling to the next? Cot death is caused by gases generated in mattresses - and many parents re-use mattresses from one baby to the next. If a mattress contains any of the chemicals concerned and fungi have become established in the mattress during previous use by another baby, generation of toxic gas commences sooner and in greater volume when the mattress is re-used. This accounts for the rising rate of cot death from one sibling to the next. It also accounts for the very high cot death rate among babies of solo parents, who for economic reasons are more likely to sleep their babies on previously used mattresses which they have acquired secondhand.

So I'm going to do what Hevz suggested and ask for vouchers when this one is born so we can get a new mattress.

Thanks to both Hevz and Hypnorm for bringing this to our attention.:hugs:

Not sure what to do now...
cant really leave the window open as baby will be born jan/feb and it can get very cold in that room.
matress will have a water proof cover over it anyway.. will have a think and see.

hmm i didnt realise this, i knew i had to get a new cot mattress but i thought it was in case the last baby had been sickly, we werent given the mattress for the cot neway so wouldve had to buy a new one anyway

the moses basket had like a washable, plasticky mattress and i thought i could just wash it and it would be fine

where do u even get moses basket mattresses from?!?

xxx

This has been playing on my mind since I read it, and I've done some searching. I've found a very long artilcle on causes and prevention of cot-death here:

https://www.familyrapp.com/Results/archive_results_details.asp?ArticleID=985

Feel free to read the whole article, but the main bit I found was this:

So what is the explanation for the rising rate of cot death from one sibling to the next? Cot death is caused by gases generated in mattresses - and many parents re-use mattresses from one baby to the next. If a mattress contains any of the chemicals concerned and fungi have become established in the mattress during previous use by another baby, generation of toxic gas commences sooner and in greater volume when the mattress is re-used. This accounts for the rising rate of cot death from one sibling to the next. It also accounts for the very high cot death rate among babies of solo parents, who for economic reasons are more likely to sleep their babies on previously used mattresses which they have acquired secondhand.

So I'm going to do what Hevz suggested and ask for vouchers when this one is born so we can get a new mattress.

Thanks to both Hevz and Hypnorm for bringing this to our attention.:hugs:

No probs chick:hugs:

ill be using ours again should another baby come along. Its perfect, and its a plastic cover so only needs a wipe over. If you think the one youve got is fine then use it. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hayley1990
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"