3 week old LO Thrush...only on tongue..

HappiestMom

Spcl Nds Girl + twn boys + girl
Reaction score
when does this require a trip to the Dr? Its on her tongue no where else in her mouth and its not affecting her eating, as in its clearly not hurting her...we are bottlefeeding now as Im on Xanax and cant BF till Im off of it so Im not worried about my nipples but when do you go to the Dr for it? does it go away naturally or what?

ASAP. If it gets too bad, it will be imposstible for her to feed. They'll prescribe some drops xx

and how do u tell the diff between thrush and just milk on their tongues

Milk will come off when touched, thrush will remain and spread, usually around the gums, when in doubt see your doctor xx

DId you try to wipe it? It might be milk residue. Wet a clean gauze pad, then wipe her tongue gently without scrubbing it. If it comes out, it's only milk residue which is very common esp in FF babies.

thanks ladies..shes asleep now but will try it before next feeding..

ok it didnt wipe off and her breath smells really sweet and stuff and so Im going to get her an appt monday so it doesnt end up worse or as a diaper rash...

Bottle feeding babies aren't that prone to thrush and usually it's all over the mouth. It really might be just milk residue. Avery's tongue was whiteish for months after she was born.

Get her an appointment on Monday though, the pediatrician will be able to tell the difference.

FF infants are just as prone to thrush as BF infants, its nothing to do with how they are fed but more due to them having an immature digestive and immune system and consequently not being able to balance the good yeasts/bacteria very well coupled with the sugary environment of the mouth after a feed; if a baby has been on antibiotics at any time or the mother had vaginal thrush in pregnancy that wasn't 100% got rid of this increases the risk of a baby developing thrush. Another problem is in the US sterilisation isn't widely recommended but sterilising does kill the thrush organisms whereas a dishwasher, or hot soapy water is less likely to xx

Bottle feeding babies aren't that prone to thrush and usually it's all over the mouth. It really might be just milk residue. Avery's tongue was whiteish for months after she was born.

Get her an appointment on Monday though, the pediatrician will be able to tell the difference.

I thought bottle fed babies were actually more prone?

I would not be surprised if it is just milk residue, Nolan had it really bad as a baby... it had to be scraped off, it didn't just wipe away.

https://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/39318_536511739602_59100351_31580532_7836042_n.jpg

Edit- Definitely get it checked out though!! :flower:

I genuinely think you should check with a gp, none of us have seen your LO and we are not qualified to make a diagnosis. Thrush on the tounge can progress quickly and turn nasty, yes it may just be milk but surely its better to have it checked?

I thought bottle fed babies were actually more prone?

Thats what I thought as well? But they are definitely not less prone than BF babies...

Thats what I thought as well? But they are definitely not less prone than BF babies...

Sorry, the only people I knew who had it were breastfed. Maybe it's just harder to clear up in breastfeeding because you can accidentally pass it back and forth? That could be why the only friends complaining about it were breastfeeding.

As for not sterilizing, nothing is surviving my dishwasher. I can't even stand to take the dishes out for an hour afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->