34 +5 breech.. Chance or turning?

laura109

Reaction score
Hi ladies I saw my midwife last night. My son was head down at 30 weeks but has since gone into a breech position. His head is high up on the left side. My midwife says in 2 weeks if he hasn't turned we will have to decide on turning him or booking in for a c section.

I don't think I want to consider the turning as my midwife wasn't really a fan of it. I've read about risks and also I don't want to risk the baby experiencing stress. I'd rather I had an op.

Anyone think we have much chance of him turning in the next week or so? I've read such a mixture of things on google and Im not sure of our chances. If we have a c section due to him being breech when do they tend to deliver them so you don't go into labour?

You could try some of the exercises I'm doing (mostly off spinningbabies) to encourage him to flip.
My second nephew was breech/unstable lie and they actually scheduled my sisters c-sec for 40+1. We were surprised especially because it was her second baby so there was a fairly high chance of her going into labour before then, but they basically said they preferred to give baby time to go head down by himself, and that if she did go into labour she just needed to present at the hospital immediately without waiting for things to progress. She didn't go into labour and had him by c-sec at 40+1. So it's my (second hand) experience with the NHS that they will avoid the section if they can, especially if baby isn't stubbornly breech but has only recently gone head up (like yours). Think they think there's a good chance they might flip again.

Also I will just say, take the midwifes judging of baby's position with a tiny pinch of salt. My friend was told baby was head down when she went into labour based on midwife examining her tummy, listening for heartbeat etc, then it was discovered during labour baby was actually breech. If I were you I'd ask to be scanned the day of your scheduled section IF it comes to that. That's the only way for them to be 100% sure which way up baby is, no matter how certain the midwife seems.

I agree with the above. Get a scan to confirm. Mine was breech early on and my mw said DD turned to head down. But she didn't and i had stopped my Spinning Babies exercises. I ended up having a c section, but not without wanted to try an ECV.

A few thoughts: an ECV is still overall less risky than an operation. The benefits of having a vaginal delivery are far superior than a c section and have long term benefits for your baby, including a better immune system.

Now... ECV's aren't all that common anymore (which is maybe why your mw didn't seem so keen on it). So it would be worth asking a few questions, such as who will do it, how many per year has that person performed them, and what was their success rate? My local hospital only does 6 of them per year and maybe 50% are successful. But my mw and OB agreed it was worth trying. After talking more with my OB she thought my chances of success were even lower, maybe 25% because of a) an anterior placenta, and b) a first time pregnancy. BUT, my OB still wanted to try it because the overall risks were lower than getting surgery. Serious complications from an ECV occur in only 1-2% of cases. As it happened, i ended up with a c section on the day i was scheduled for an ECV because of an unknown complication called oligohydraminos, or low amniotic fluid. It was diagnosed on the day of my ECV because i went for an ultrasound. Getting an ultrasound before the ECV is typical to make sure it will be safe for the baby to perform.

An ECV is only attempted if everything looks good. I was given IV fluids before hand. We did fetal monitoring. I had an ultrasound sound done. And a consult with the OB. It was a full day event. And they didn't do it because it wasn't safe. BUT i am glad i went through the process because they diagnosed a problem which can happen with breech babies. I had been leaking amniotic fluid a little at a time for who knows how long. Premature labor can happen with breech babies.

That said, it's typical to schedule a c section for 39 weeks to give the baby as much time inside as possible but early enough to hopefully avoid an emergency c section because of early labor.

I spent WEEKS researching and debating whether a manual version was something i should do. If you want to talk more then PM me. I'm happy to go over everything with you.

My mw scheduled a scan at around the time you're at because we weren't 100% sure of the baby's position. It was thought that her head might have been facing into my side (but still head down-ish) but the scan showed she was in fact head down.

I will second that I'd recommend an ECV attempt if your baby isn't head down. The benefits of a vaginal birth to the baby are hard to ignore, and a c-section is in fact major surgery. It's important not to forget that. Complications due to a section are common. (though usually they're not life threatening overall)

Check out spinningbabies.com, lots of advice.

I would also second the ecv. Not personally but a close friend had it and no problems, absolutely fine. But you do still have plenty of time to get baby moving yourself! Lots of ball bouncing and walking as much as you can x

I have a dropper and my babies heartbeat is loudest below my belly button today. I'm not convinced he is breech as it's not high up. My midwife said no when I asked if theres any thing I can do to help. She just said until 36 weeks not to worry xx

I have a dropper and my babies heartbeat is loudest below my belly button today. I'm not convinced he is breech as it's not high up. My midwife said no when I asked if theres any thing I can do to help. She just said until 36 weeks not to worry xx

Actually it's funny you say that because I did exactly the same thing with my Doppler this morning as I was convinced I was feeling kicks right in my ribs and sure enough baby's heartbeat was below my bellybutton. I think I'm still early enough for baby to keep flipping to be honest. Yours has probably either turned back head down, or he wasn't breech and the midwife had it wrong. Hope he stays head down for you!

Spinning babies is great . There's one position I really like , can't remember the full name , forward Inverted something !! Anyway you have your knees on the couch / bed / stairs and hands on the floor / lower stair . Get your hubby to be there in case of dizzy spells etc . Also make sure your hands are close enough to your knees so thst you really are upside down !!! Oh and thst you come into a kneeling position when you first sit upright. Good luck and I hope baby turns :hugs:

Spinning babies is great . There's one position I really like , can't remember the full name , forward Inverted something !! Anyway you have your knees on the couch / bed / stairs and hands on the floor / lower stair . Get your hubby to be there in case of dizzy spells etc . Also make sure your hands are close enough to your knees so thst you really are upside down !!! Oh and thst you come into a kneeling position when you first sit upright. Good luck and I hope baby turns :hugs:

Forward leaning inversion! This is what I'm doing :)

Forward leaning inversion! This is what I'm doing :)

If my little monkey stays in breech for more than a day or two I tend to do it, as I find a head under my ribs really sore lol. Baby will usually turn and stay there for a few days at least . Plus I find it a relief from the general preggo pressure down below. I know my baby is still dinky but my bladder can't take the beating when he/she is breech :blush::haha:

Not to worry you, but i found a heartbeat below my belly button when my DD was breech. It was just how she was positioned. I would still ask for a scan to confirm one way or other.

Not to worry you, but i found a heartbeat below my belly button when my DD was breech. It was just how she was positioned. I would still ask for a scan to confirm one way or other.

Oh yeah def, I don't think it's a definite indicator. I can hear baby's heartbeat all over my bump pretty much with the Doppler, but there was one spot this morning where it suddenly started properly jumanji-ing, haha. But defo the scan. It's the only way to know for sure, even midwives with their fancy pants dopplers can get it wrong.

Oh yeah def, I don't think it's a definite indicator. I can hear baby's heartbeat all over my bump pretty much with the Doppler, but there was one spot this morning where it suddenly started properly jumanji-ing, haha. But defo the scan. It's the only way to know for sure, even midwives with their fancy pants dopplers can get it wrong.

Completely :haha::haha: at jumanji-ing :haha::haha: . Even fancy pants midwives themselves get it wrong too !!! :haha::haha:

Completely :haha::haha: at jumanji-ing :haha::haha: . Even fancy pants midwives themselves get it wrong too !!! :haha::haha:

Haha best way I can describe the sound tbh!

Haha best way I can describe the sound tbh!

I know what you mean . My little monkey likes to do the same. I swear it moves towards the doppler :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->