34week scan to check placental egde?

Terri1985

Reaction score
At my last scan i was told to go back and have a 34 week scan and I didn't question it as this hospital is in a different area to where I had my last two children scanned so thought it was just the way they did things here.
Well I was going through my scan notes and it said 'scan to be booked for 34 weeks to check placental edge'.
They didnt tell me there was a problem? Has anyone else had this on their notes and do they know what they are wanting to check?
I am worried now and kinda wishing I didnt have a nose at my notes! :cry:

It's poor of them not to have told you why they were doing this. Have you has a MW appointment since? they will usually see this in your notes and discuss it with you. The reason they do these scans are because, if they find in the 20 week scan that the placenta is low lying then they must check on it later to see if it has moved upwards as the womb has grown (the vast majority of the time it does). You wont have full placenta previa or even a worryingly low placenta as more checks/appointments would have been made to discuss this, your options if it doesn't move etc.

The likelihood is that all will be well and I can only assume they think the same and this is why they haven't said anything. Relax, enjoy seeing your LO again and all will most probably be just fine.

Thank you. I did have a mw appointment a couple of days after my 20week scan but nothing was said. I have another mw appointment in just under 2weeks so I will ask then what it's about.
The thing that bothers me most is I have had a lot of bleeding on and off in the first trimester and some of the second so the one thing they made sure to check was the placenta as this could explain it but they said it was out the way so that wasnt the cause of the bleeds? Im so confused!

That is strange. A low lying placenta can be the cause of bleeding if the edge of it that lies over the cervix comes away a bit and blood forms between the womb and placenta (hematoma), for obvious reasons... any light activity/stretching can irritate/pull at the neck of your womb.

However, if you've had no bleeding at all in the third trimester then the odds are that, even if you did have a low lying placenta it has grown up and away now. So, I wouldn't worry. I'm as confused as you are about being told your placenta wasn't near it though? Maybe ask your MW if any more is said in your notes or if there are other reasons they would bother? Could just be them double checking and covering themselves near to the birth? Odd though.

I guess you could have developed a hematoma and not as a result of placenta previa and they could just be checking to see that the placenta has fully reattached itself in time for the birth?

i had one at 34 weeks due to partial placenta previa. they just check to make sure that your placenta has moved enough for a natural delivery. i guess they only need 2cms or so of room to allow the baby through. if your placenta is on the posterior wall it is easier to move, on the front wall it is less likely. its not a big deal as most move up, just enjoy your next chance to see your Baba before you have him/her! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->