37 weeks sick & DD got coxsackie

PurpleIvy44

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
What a week from hell! My DD had some type of sickness starting last weekend then I got a horrible sore throat and chills on Tuesday. Felt a little better for two days then got sicker on Fri when I couldn't fall asleep due to a terrible night cough and waking up with pink eye or some infection. DD developed sores in her mouth and red spots on her torso. Thought she was having a reaction to her antibiotic until her doctor said it sounds like Coxsackie, yay. It's Halloween and we're all sick so she couldn't even go trick or treating. I'm glad she's too young to understand what she's missing but we just can't catch a break.

I'm due in two weeks and all I can think is please don't go into labor or have my water break. It would be horrible to be sick and have to give birth like this. I had a mini freak out when I took a mucus reliever and started having a ton of discharge. I have no voice but thanks for listening.

Hi, sorry to hear you feel so miserable. It is possible that you might have caught the virus as well, even if you did have it as a child. Your immune system is down. If you catch this virus close to birth, you might infect LO. Make sure nurses & labour docs are aware that your family dealt with hand, foot mouth recently if you labour within 2 weeks of outbreak. Baby should be monitored fr infection. My 3 year old got cocksaxie this week as well. I'm in second trimester, so no worries. X

I think I did get it b/c I had most the symptoms but I'm over the worst of it now. DD got better and was back to her old self by Sat. night. My cough is fading as well as the sore throat. Dr.'s office said the most concern is if I had an active infection while giving birth since she would be crossing into my fluids. Luckily for all of us it's just about gone and she's not here yet. I also read first trimester is the worse time to get it and I think it's because all their organs are developing etc. It's just terrible having everyone sick!!

I feel your pain! 9 days until I'm due and both my boys are sick. Even my dog. And I've been dealing with my own issues. Ugh. Lol. Hope you both get better before baby comes.

I feel your pain! 9 days until I'm due and both my boys are sick. Even my dog. And I've been dealing with my own issues. Ugh. Lol. Hope you both get better before baby comes.

Thank you, I hope you feel better too. You're closer to going than I am. I'm just trying to hold her in for a bit longer but swear my coughing was going to pop her out. I'm a Nov baby but if I had waited like I wanted to...then I would be having a spring baby not winter just b/c of all the crap going around. I know she'll be ok it's just better to give birth/have baby when you feel well. Feel better soon!

X glad you are feeling better! I hope you can take it easy fr another few days till baby comes!

X glad you are feeling better! I hope you can take it easy fr another few days till baby comes!

Thanks. I found out I'm 3 cm & 50% effaced today so now we're in over drive getting last minute things done. I hope to relax after this weekend if I hold out that long. We're all pretty well at this point thank goodness.

Remember to take a break, even if you are busy! If you do go this weekend, you'll want to save some energy fr that!! Your hubby can take care of things. You just tell him what to do. Good luck!

Remember to take a break, even if you are busy! If you do go this weekend, you'll want to save some energy fr that!! Your hubby can take care of things. You just tell him what to do. Good luck!

Well he started worrying that I would have her last night so he went crazy and clean the entire upstairs and set up her pack-n-play. I just had to tidy up downstairs and get the things I wanted in order. Now that it's all done, I can relax this weekend! I even packed my bag which has been sitting in the corner. I finally feel that if she comes, I'll be ready! :happydance: Thank you!

Glad that you're starting to feel better...

With my last pregnancy I had a double ear infection at 37 weeks, this time I got strep throat at 36+5 and I had my baby via c-section at 37+1... I was feeling fine but still on antibiotics... and the day I had the baby, both of my DS's had to go to the doctor.. and tested positive for strep throat as well.. sigh.. I think the weakend immune system is hard this time of year.

Good luck!!

Kim

Just dealt with Coxsackie in this household a few weeks ago so I know the pain you're going through. Luckily my son was a dead end and didn't pass it on to any of the rest of us... However, we ALL then caught so nasty stomach bug that knocked us all on our respective butts. Couldn't win for losing until the week of Halloween when it all happily just went away! Tis the season for the ick!

Omg I didn't know hand foot & mouth was called this too! My dd2 has it. As far as I can see is baby is ok if your over 12

Yes tis the season of sickness.

It depends on the strain of Coxsackie to know how bad it will be. DD had it at 13 mos and she broke out in the blisters all over her body but didn't act sick at all. It took awhile for the spots to fade and her toenails fell off. This time she got the ulcers in her mouth and hardly any spots. She felt like crap and didn't really eat for a couple days. First sign was conjunctivitis Sat. but that went away on its own. Ulcers appeared on Thursday and by Sat night she was acting and eating. It goes away pretty quick but if you have other kids then it may go around.

My Dr. said I don't have to worry about baby. Very rare cases does it affect them. Or unless you have an active infection while giving birth. Better for them to get it over with before you bring a newborn home.

Yes tis the season of sickness.

It depends on the strain of Coxsackie to know how bad it will be. DD had it at 13 mos and she broke out in the blisters all over her body but didn't act sick at all. It took awhile for the spots to fade and her toenails fell off. This time she got the ulcers in her mouth and hardly any spots. She felt like crap and didn't really eat for a couple days. First sign was conjunctivitis Sat. but that went away on its own. Ulcers appeared on Thursday and by Sat night she was acting and eating. It goes away pretty quick but if you have other kids then it may go around.

My Dr. said I don't have to worry about baby. Very rare cases does it affect them. Or unless you have an active infection while giving birth. Better for them to get it over with before you bring a newborn home.

Ok thanks. I have read on the NHS website it's only considered dangerous in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy & if it was active when baby was born it tends to only be mild for a newborn so that's a bit more comforting at least. Hope your little one is feeling better now

This is what the NHS site says

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member