3D Ultrasounds and Facial Features? All Experience Welcome

ambertwogood

The Twogood's
Reaction score
So, for those of you who didn't see my post yesterday, my mom surprised me with a 3D ultrasound yesterday after my HR OB appointment. It was awesome...:happydance:

But, I do have a question, especially for those of you who have had one done for a previous pregnancy. I know this sounds horrible, but the more I look at the photos from the ultrasound yesterday, the more I can't help but notice that her nose looks incredibly large and bulbous. Neither, me, nor SO have noses like that, so my question is if you've had a 3D done before, did your childs facial features match up pretty identical to the ultrasound or were there distortions and to what degree? I know this is ridiculous and I'm going to think my baby is beautiful no matter how hideous other people think she is (hehe, that's horrible, but you all know that you've seen some pretty hideous baby, that have faces only a mother could love, even if you don't want to admit it, lol :haha:) but I just can't help but worry about my child having this obscenely large nose.:dohh: The thought of it is consuming me, lol, not really, but I am concerned....just a little.

All experience in this VERY WELCOME!!! :wacko::flower::wacko:

There can be a little distortion, I believe, but she is also just starting to plump up now. By the time she's done, I bet that nose will look more even with her face. My DS looked like he had such a narrow face/jaw line and pointy little chin in his 3D US, but came out with a strong jaw and full face. Looks just like a clone of his daddy.

We had some weird looking pics following our 3d ultrasound, even ones where it looked like the tip of her nose was missing.
On the good ones you can tell she looks exactly like ds... so we have to wait and see.
Ds nose is different now to when he was born anyway.
xx

My baby didn't look anything like his 3d ultrasound pictures. Everything was different!

As for the nose I have heard that they tend to look much bigger on 3d imaging.

I remember one of the ultrasounds I had with dd her nose looked so long and pointy! I was so nervous she would come out with that nose, but she didn't. She has a perfect little button nose. I wouldn't worry too much. :)

I had a 3D scan with my first and I was a little concerned at the size of her nose. Her nose is perfectly proportional and cute in the flesh thankfully. I think the images must be distorted on a scan as my LO looked nothing like the scan particularly.

I can't speak for 3D, but I know for a fact that regular ultrasounds make the lips look huge! I was sure my baby girl was going to come out looking like Angelina Jolie based on my ultrasounds, but she was born with rather thin lips. With time they did fill out, but she still has my OH's thinnish lips. My friend was the same. She was boasting about her daughter's full lips after her ultrasound, but baby was born with barely there lips. So I would imagine that actual big lips would look ridiculously large on ultrasound. So anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about your baby's apparent big nose. And besides, babies change so much even after birth. Most babies are not particularly cute at birth, but they eventually grow into their features.

On my 2d and 3d ultrasound I had with my baby girl her nose looked like a beak. But it definitely does not look like that right now.

Apparently noses and lips can look big because their faces are often squished up against the side of the uterus, but you can't see the actual uterus on the ultrasound picture. My LO looks like she has a huge nose on our last scan pic but all our other pics it looks in proportion.

I mentioned during my scan that my little girls nose looked huge and the woman told me it's totally normal something to do with the cartilage in their nose hasnt developed yet, she will have a beautiful little button nose when she arrives :) x

I wanted to post an ultrasound pic of my dd at 26 weeks. This nose scared me lol.

I will then post a pic of her actual profile so you can see the difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 31
Not the best pic, but you can see her nose looks nothing like the ultrasound.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 18
Here are a couple comparisons from both of my pregnancies... I think in a lot of ways they look similar to the 3D ultrasound and in some ways they look different.

https://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j336/caw2009/Mobile%20Uploads/PhotoGrid_1417056037315.jpg

https://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j336/caw2009/Mobile%20Uploads/PhotoGrid_1413470169895.jpg

I wanted to post an ultrasound pic of my dd at 26 weeks. This nose scared me lol.

I will then post a pic of her actual profile so you can see the difference.

OMG, this is hilarious!

On my 2d and 3d ultrasound I had with my baby girl her nose looked like a beak. But it definitely does not look like that right now.

Holy Crap, you almost had me rolling in the floor over this one :haha:

Here are a couple comparisons from both of my pregnancies... I think in a lot of ways they look similar to the 3D ultrasound and in some ways they look different.

https://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j336/caw2009/Mobile%20Uploads/PhotoGrid_1417056037315.jpg

https://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j336/caw2009/Mobile%20Uploads/PhotoGrid_1413470169895.jpg

These are really great comparisons, I actualy think that they look very similar......

This entire thread has me laughing my butt off. Isn't it just crazy that we all secretly worry about this kind of stuff? It's insane the level craziness that we reach during pregnancy...lmao :haha::wacko::winkwink:

I would absolutely love to see more moms comparison photos....just curious about the accuracy of them.

I don't have a comparison picture yet, but at the 23 week US her nose looked kind of wide and funny looking to me!
I think they all start out looking odd like that though, and would definitely not worry. They usually all come out with cute little noses :)

IMG_20140808_162310.jpg

I don't have a comparison picture yet, but at the 23 week US her nose looked kind of wide and funny looking to me!
I think they all start out looking odd like that though, and would definitely not worry. They usually all come out with cute little noses :)

View attachment 824357

Oh, thank you so much for that. It's just crazy the kind of things we begin to worry about while we're pregnant...lol.

Would love to see everyone else's 3D's, it's just so amazing to look at!

I did think it was really creepy when she opened her eyes several times during the 3D US. It just seems/looks very weird... I have photos on the disk they made me where her eyes are open and it freaks me out just a little lol.

Lol my baby has massive hamster cheeks :D can't wait to see if s/he really does!!

LOL. I I know I've seen other 3d ultrasound pictures Where it look like the baby was going to have a really huge nose And it ended up not being as big as it was an ultrasound . So I think that there can be some level of distortion

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->