4 month old - start to wean or try formula first?

Mrs_Random

Reaction score
My LO is 4 months old and I can't decide what to do.

I have exclusively BF since birth but found the last few weeks that we have gone from feeding 4-5 hourly to 2.5 to 3 hours.
It's almost as though we have gone back to day one!

I feel like my supply has gone down, my boobs no longer feel full all the time, don't seem to get over full at night and generally feel "empty"!
I am convinced that the contraception injection I had has buggered me up, not just supply but my hormones too, I won't be having it again!

LO's feeds not only are more often but he's using both boobs all the time, and sometimes it's feels like I could do with a 3rd as he's fussing as though the flow has slowed right down and we would normally change boobs but he's already had them both.

I have debated starting to introduce baby porridge or rice etc or should I try formula first and check he is getting enough milk before we go on to foods?

I kinda feel like there's no point in introducing formula if I am going to start to introduce foods.

Any advice??

"I have also posted this in breastfeeding forum"

Can't advise on your flow Hun as I only BF my daughter for 2 weeks before putting her on formula and after 2 weeks she went onto hungry baby formula. I don't think it's down to the injection as you can still BF on that it's probably that your LO is having a growth spurt, I wouldn't advise putting him onto formula unless your flow has reduced and you do t have enough milk to feed him. I would try baby rice for a week or so and see how you get on with that as formula milk will probably make LO constipated and your BM is the best he can get milk wise. If the baby rice doesn't help then look into putting him on formula instead that's what I would do personally. X

I would persevere with BF cos' hopefully your supply will increase with demand, however your question is about whether to give baby rice or formula and if it's a choice between the two, formula wins hands down for me. It's packed full of the vitamins and minerals your baby needs at this age. "Before 1, just for fun" as they say about solids - let alone at four months.

Thanks ladies.

I will stay away from the formula and will keep feeding often over the weekend and see how we get on.

It sounds like a growth spurt. A few weeks ago Phoebe started eating every 1 - 1 1/2 hours during the day and waking up every 2 hours to eat during the night which was a real pain. It has finally passed thankfully. I would just stick with it.

I would stick it out. Should pass with no problems. I started to introduce solids around 4m bc DH was begging me to and I said "IT'S YOUR JOB THEN!" and within 2-3 days she was no longer having rice cereal. She really wanted food though and I was more interesed in BLW and gave her hard veggies to chew on... but that's besides the point. Stick it out Your supply will increase or baby will go back to "normal"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->