4 week old on demand feeding. Routine?

Lizzybee

Mom to 1, StepMum to 1
Reaction score
Anyone else bf on demand? Do they get themselves into a routine or do i have to make him get into one? Also when would i start doing this?

A routine for what exactly? For feeding then no, feed on demand.

Some babies get themselves in to a routine some don't, but you'll still be hitting quite a few growth spurts in months to come so then it'll all go to pot anyway. Demand feeding is recommended as you are listening to what your baby needs rather than making that decision for them.

For example on a very hot day your baby will be thirsty and may need to feed more regularly for shorter periods - it would be mean to leave them thirsty because it wasn't "time" to feed. Whereas on another day they might want a nice long cuddle and feed for quite a while, or yet another day be too interested in the world to stay on the boob for more than 2mins and be on and off every 5mins till you want to pull your hair out (yes three month olds, I'm talking to you!).

Breastfeeding isn't just about a baby's need for food and drink but also bonding, cuddles, reassurance etc. and demand feeding responds to all of those equally.

I feed on demand but we have fallen into a night routine of feeding at 2 am and around 4 or 5 am. Just happens to be when he's hungry. We've been feeding on demand since almost the beginning and he's doing great. Don't plan on changing anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->