4 year old in car seat

Dream.dream

SAHM to 2 beautiful boys
Reaction score
Slightly irritated with my sister . She regularly takes my son places with her because all her friends have kids his he and she has non of her own yet . She has always had her own car seat for him to make it easier .

Well he's just hit 40 pounds and is just 41 inches tall so not a huge kid , when she came to pick him up today she wanted to put him in a booster seat she got instead of the car seat an threw a fit when I said no .

We ( me and SO) did extensive research on it and decided we want him in a 5 point harness as long as possible as research has shown it is much safer ( even for adults ford was looking at 5 point harnesses for adults in their cars ) . So we got him a convertible car seat that allows him to be in a 5 point harness up to 60 lb and in a booster after that until 90 lbs.

I tried explaining it to her and all she did was throw at me that I was being over protective , and that he was gunna look redivulous being 5/6 and still in the harness and that he's big enough now that it's legal to do so it's fine .

I'm really irritated and he didn't end up taking him today. Any one else have these issues with family?

My child who is 4 years 10 months has been in a booster seat since he was 4 , but at the end of the day its upto you , you are his mother:thumbup:

I have my tall 5 year old in a 5 point harness still. I know he can go in a booster legally but like you I prefer the safety of the harness. My parents are good with it and bought a convertible booster seat but my in-laws would probably just ignore me and use the booster seat they have if I left it up to them (my MIL has suggested using it several times for trips in their car even as early as 2!)

Maybe your sister was just a bit annoyed she had bought the seat thinking she was doing the right thing. Although I think it is good you stick with what you believe in. Hopefully when she has time to think about it she will be ok, she might be able to sell it and get a convertible booster instead.

im keeping my LO in the 5 point harness until she reaches the max weight. (its a convertable one). she will be 3 in feb.
my niece has just turned 6 & is still in the 5 point harness as she weighs nothing!

maybe you can say about the safety side of it a bit more? xx

I think that as it's your child you have the ultimate say in what happens. If your sister isn't willing to do what you ask then he just can't go with her.
My daughter has just turned 4. In our car she is in a 5 point harness. But in both grandparents cars she's on a booster seat. My In laws have a booster because we struggled to find a seat that goes in their car. My parents have a booster because my mum is unable to struggle with putting a seat in and out of their car and they can't leave it in permanently. I am happy with this. If I wasn't then we'd let them know.
She will be staying in a 5point harness until I think she's old enough to behave in a booster - she behaves when with other people!

My DDs are 4 and 5, and both are in a 5-point harness, and will be until they reach the max for their seats, which is 90 pounds, and then as a booster until 120. It is absolutely the safest way for a child to ride in a car. My kids aren't allowed to go anywhere with anyone unless they are in their proper seats. The way we deal with it is to just switch cars for the day. :thumbup: I say, stick to your guns! You did the research, why throw it away for your sister's convenience?

We've just taken Abby out of the harness and she is 4 and a half. She reached the maximum weight for the harness in the seat we have but because of her disability it's about the only seat we can get for her without shelling out a couple of thousand for a special needs one. I'm not overly happy about it but have to accept the safety guidelines which say she is still safe.

If anyone in my family chose to disregard my wishes I'd stop her going to them. If they want to challenge my wishes I listen, state my case and move on. Everybody is going to have different opinions. I'd be more concerned that your sister feels she can be so dismissive and rude about your way of doing things. Is this the only thing she's spoken to you about like that? If not, a whole other conversation needs to be had with her.

Foogirl, have you looked into the Recaro Prosport? IT does a5-point up to 90 pounds, which I think is the highest on the market. It's not super cheap, but WAY cheaper than special needs chairs, and I think my kids won't hit 90 pounds until about 9... at least I hope not!

My first 2 went on booster seats in other peoples cars once they were 3.5-4 maybe once a week to go a short journey but now I have my own car,Owen has a high back booster with 5point harness as I think thats safer until he is too big.

My DDs are 4 and 5, and both are in a 5-point harness, and will be until they reach the max for their seats, which is 90 pounds, and then as a booster until 120. It is absolutely the safest way for a child to ride in a car. My kids aren't allowed to go anywhere with anyone unless they are in their proper seats. The way we deal with it is to just switch cars for the day. :thumbup: I say, stick to your guns! You did the research, why throw it away for your sister's convenience?

120lbs!!! I would have been in my mid twenties!

120lbs!!! I would have been in my mid twenties!

LOL I know, right? I think it's a bit over built, but that's why I like it! Realistically I think the law says 4'9" tall and 90 pounds is when a child doesn't require a seat or booster (in the US). Since my kids are 40 and 50 pounds, I have a ways to go no matter what!

Foogirl, have you looked into the Recaro Prosport? IT does a5-point up to 90 pounds, which I think is the highest on the market. It's not super cheap, but WAY cheaper than special needs chairs, and I think my kids won't hit 90 pounds until about 9... at least I hope not!

Not available in the UK:nope:

We do have the Recaro young sport which has the harness for up to 18kg and she's just hit that. I just keep telling myself that being a recaro seat, even with the seatbelt she is far safer than being in the average booster seat on the market.

I am laughing at the comment that at 90lbs, someone would be in their twenties before they hit that. I'm actually only just over the height at which kids have to use a booster seat by law:haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->