41, surprised & a little scared!!! Help!

Nat777

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a somewhere around 6-7 weeks (by my est.)& considered high risk.
My story here (I'll try to keep short) is as such: A day before I was going in for a hysterectomy (due to fibroids, risk #1) pre-op blood came back & the Dr. called to say she had to cancel, I was pregnant! SHOCK! HCG was at 68. Now along with having fibroids, I also have high blood pressure (which meds can=small babies) that along with the fact that I am 41, it's a trifecta of high risk. My 2nd HCG done 6 days later I am listing below (along with the others that followed). It's this last one that has me worried. *& sorry I know this is a lot of info*

460 from 68 in 6 days-3 days later- 647 another 3@1640, 3 days later 2928, 6 days later over 9000 (never got the complete#) An ultra sound was done that day measuring 4 weeks (altho I thought I would be at 5 minimum)...Now here is my concern. My next appt/Ultrasound was scheduled for 2 weeks from then, with no HCG done in between. The ultra sound only shows a gestational sac with maybe a hint of a yolk sac. (Anything else too hard to see with fibroids) they measured me around 5 1/2 wks. Dr. said my fibroids are casting too many shadows, but also the baby could have attached to or near the fibroid which could keep it from developing! Ahhh... to boot over the 2 weeks my HGC level (4/8/15) done that day was only 16000 from 9000.
I'd love some feedback as I am really freaking out..altho I hear levels can peak and slow after reaching 6,000, but by that much??? Plus I really think even from my pre-op blood work time frame & date of conception (giving adequate time to fertilize & implant) I would be a min of 6-7 weeks? Shouldn't we see more on u/s? Odd that it's measuring a week or more under. Am I expecting too much on u/s...should I be this worried? Throw a little spotting in there (granted no cramps) and AHHHH!
I'd love to hear some positive stories of slowing HCG and or pregnancy with these other risk, fibroids, not seeing baby on u/s at 5-6 wks etc.

Didn't want to read and run it sounds like they are keeping a close eye on you :)
Try to relax I know that is not easy to do as I have had lots of MC and had an early scan and saw nothing but the sac they told me to come back a week later ( worst week ever) then went back and saw sac and dot flashing have to go back in three weeks . This pregnancy thing is really tough really hard to focus on anything else and now MS has set in xxxx

Hi Nat. I don't know much about HGC or fibroids, but I wouldn't be too concerned about the dating from the ultrasound, particularly if fibroids were obstructing the view. I had an ultrasound at 6w 3d, and was told I was measuring more like 5 and a half weeks (which I knew I wasn't). There was a heartbeat but very little to see, and that was without anything interferring with the image. At my 12 week ultrasound my dates were put right back to where I thought they should be, and I was told that the sizes measured on early scans can be really open to variation as the measurements they are dealing with are so small. My sonographer also said that it depends on the quality of equipment as well (this was at a different place from my first ultrasound and she made a point of saying how much better her machine was likely to be). I wish I'd known all that before stressing about measuring behind, and hope it can set your mind at ease a little about at least one of your concerns.

As for age, I'm a little younger (37) but my doctor has been almost completely unconcerned about this as a risk factor, and other first time mums I've know who have been older have told me their experiences have been much the same. Obviously every pregnancy is different, but I don't think either your age or the ultrasound measurements should be automatic causes for concern.

All the best - I hope someone else can give you some more information on fibroids &/or HGC levels.

I am 42 and pregnant.. I have 3 grown ups and lost 7 all early.. but now 16 weeks pregnant with a wriggler..

I hope you have a healthy pregnancy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->