5 weeks...7 weeks...9 weeks??? WTH?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by xpatchx, Aug 21, 2009.

1. xpatchx

xpatchx Wife, Mummy and pregnant!

Hiii ladies.
    Right. I found out I was pregnant on the 4th of August, mine and my partners anniversary.

My lmp started on the 30th June.

I have 6 week cycles.

My doctor is telling me that means I should add two weeks to the dates, making me 9 weeks now.
    My midwife is telling me to keep it as it is, 7 weeks.
    I went to the early pregnancy unit and she did an internal scan and said I'm, about 5 weeks and there was a heartbeat.

Is the 5 week one accurate? Would she be completely positive in that, or is it maybe too small to tell?

I'm very confuse with all the different dates!

Helppp!!!

Thank you x

2. Luna

Luna Mum of two

Your scan is most accurate - your gestation is dated by size of the fetal pole and gestation sac. You are dated usually from LMP, not ovulation date, but in my case i ovulated late. I am actually 2 weeks less far on than i expected from LMP (ie 10+5 instead of 12+5). Does that help any?

3. XxXBubsXxX

XxXBubsXxX 1 Littl'en but want 2!!!!

Ok this is what i think..... if you have 6 week cycles, you will ovulate at 4 weeks as its 14 days before youe period. As most doctors count a cycle as 4 weeks i would add 2 weeks onto your lmp so this would make the 30th june to be the 14th july as your lmp. That would indeed make you 5 weeks and 3 days, i to had to do some guess work when i was preg with my daughter, i estimated 10th april and the scan said 8th!!! As docs always count a cycle as 28 days they quite oftern scare woman to think the growth is wrong, say if you didnt know you had 6 week cycles and didnt pay attention and went for a scan to find the baby was 2 weeks behind???? Trust what you know!! xxx

4. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I'd say based on that you're about 6 weeks. Could be late 5 weeks. It's more a matter of when you OV'd. With a 6 week cycle I'd guess you generally OV about week 4, so the 28th of July, but that's a guess and that would put your BFP rather early at only 3 weeks which would have you around 5 + 3 today. You will probably get a dating scan a bit later to more accurately date how far along you are, but I think around 6 weeks is fairly accurate.

5. hivechild

hivechild Mummy to Ronan

I'd have to agree that 5-6 weeks is probably closer to accurate.

Do you know when you ovulated?

6. GersPrincess

GersPrincess Mummy of 3, soon to be 4!

I have 5 week cycles, which for some reason doctors just cant get their head around. For me, this means I ovulate a week later than the "average" woman. Midwives always go by your LMP date until your dating scan says otherwise.

I was really worried when I had my first baby, as I thought it was growing a week or so slower than normal, but its just cos I ovulate late.

so, in my opinion, around 5 weeks sounds about right. Congratulations!

7. saffy1978

saffy1978 Mummy to 5!

I think you're nearer 6 than 5 as I didn't get my bfp till 10th August and I was testing every day from the beginning of August. So If you got yours on the 4th, I reckon you're a good week ahead of me. If that makes sense? lol.

8. busybuzybee

busybuzybee Well-Known Member

My LMP was 30th June (actually it was a miscarriage) and I fell pregnant again before my next period. My periods were always about 28 days. I worked out, as did my doctor my dates and I paid for a private scan yesterday so I could put my mind at rest and see a heartbeat and they confirmed exactly the same dates - I was 7 weeks and 3 days yesterday - due on 6 April. They did say that a dating scan a bit later could confirm the date of 6 April.