5 Weeks and Frustrated

Stacip

Long-Term TTC #2
Reaction score
I just really need to vent

so, i’m only 5 weeks pregnant and i reeeaaallly didn’t want to tell anyone until i after my 12 weeks scan (or at least after the one i’m having in 2 weeks)

BUT I work in a field where the covid vaccine is now available to us (i work in a group home)

soooooo every time i come into work, the first thing my coworkers ask me is “did you get your vaccine yet?”

now, i’ve done lots of research, and spoken to medical professionals, and as much as i love vaccines, i am not comfortable getting this one at this time.

IM SO FRUSTRATED because i’ve now had to explain to co-workers/HR why i’m not getting the vaccine.

not only that, but family and friends have been asking me pretty frequently when i’ll be getting it.

my response has been, “yep just waiting to get an appointment”, but i can only say that for so long...

I’m just upset because i really didn’t want to tell anyone this early, and now it’s like i’m forced too...

Aww I really feel for you :( that's a rubbish situation to be in!

Could you maybe tell friends and family you have your vaccine booked for the date of your scan, then when they ask how your vaccine (scan) went you could tell them lol. Even so that is early to tell people if you wanted to wait until 12 weeks. Trying to think of excuses for you but it's a tough one, sorry your in such an awkward position!

X

Aww I really feel for you :( that's a rubbish situation to be in!

Could you maybe tell friends and family you have your vaccine booked for the date of your scan, then when they ask how your vaccine (scan) went you could tell them lol. Even so that is early to tell people if you wanted to wait until 12 weeks. Trying to think of excuses for you but it's a tough one, sorry your in such an awkward position!

X

i had thought of that, but my scan is on the 30th, and i’m already pushing it time wise. like, my co-workers got theirs weeks ago.

so i’ve really put it off as long as i can. now they all just think i’m being weird haha.

How about telling them you have it booked for your next day off, when you get back after it say you had a migraine but have managed to rebook it (for your scan date)? Its years ago now but I had to tell people early because an aunt changed travel plans meaning my mum couldn't come with me without explaining why. It was very frustrating, I was only 5 weeks at the time, but there were people I particularly wanted to know before my aunt did so I had very little choice!

How about telling them you have it booked for your next day off, when you get back after it say you had a migraine but have managed to rebook it (for your scan date)? Its years ago now but I had to tell people early because an aunt changed travel plans meaning my mum couldn't come with me without explaining why. It was very frustrating, I was only 5 weeks at the time, but there were people I particularly wanted to know before my aunt did so I had very little choice!

unfortunately i’ve already pushed it off as long as i could, as bookings are happening super short notice (like, next day), and my co-workers got theirs weeks ago.

it’s such a bummer! i wish people didn’t demand explanation all the time haha.

Can you just tell them you’ve been advised not to get one by a doctor? If they push for why you could just say you’re not comfortable explaining right now

When I worked in care I just told anyone who asked that I'd already had it. Then came clean when we told everyone at 21 weeks

Can you just tell them you’ve been advised not to get one by a doctor? If they push for why you could just say you’re not comfortable explaining right now

honestly no. i’m close enough to my coworkers that they wouldn’t accept that haha. also, before the vaccine became available, i was talking it up to everyone and saying how excited i was for it. now i wish i hadn’t.

When I worked in care I just told anyone who asked that I'd already had it. Then came clean when we told everyone at 21 weeks

i personally would not be comfortable lying about that.

Wait, why do you have to explain anything? And you absolutely do not have to tell anything to your employer/HR! This is about your medical privacy. They have no right to ask or force you. It doesn’t matter that you work in a group home. As for everyone else, I don’t understand why you can’t just tell them you’ve made the choice to wait for now and expect them to respect that. This is insane. You don’t owe anybody, ANYBODY an explanation for what you do with your body. And you most certainly do not have to tell people you’re pregnant a day sooner than you want to. I’m so sorry. This is absolutely stressful. Hope it all works out.

I find repeating myself makes people shut up lol. Like literally I would just say, “I am not getting the vaccine at this time, please respect my decision.” over and over until they stop asking. If I’m really annoyed, I’ll add a “I repeat” or “Let me say this again but more slowly” before lol. I don’t suggest the passive aggressive add on at work though lol

You’re allowed to change your mind. You can say you’ve done more research or come upon new information, so you’ve chosen to wait for now until you feel more comfortable. Or just say no I don’t have it and no I don’t know when I’m getting it.

Wait, why do you have to explain anything? And you absolutely do not have to tell anything to your employer/HR! This is about your medical privacy. They have no right to ask or force you. It doesn’t matter that you work in a group home. As for everyone else, I don’t understand why you can’t just tell them you’ve made the choice to wait for now and expect them to respect that. This is insane. You don’t owe anybody, ANYBODY an explanation for what you do with your body. And you most certainly do not have to tell people you’re pregnant a day sooner than you want to. I’m so sorry. This is absolutely stressful. Hope it all works out.

I find repeating myself makes people shut up lol. Like literally I would just say, “I am not getting the vaccine at this time, please respect my decision.” over and over until they stop asking. If I’m really annoyed, I’ll add a “I repeat” or “Let me say this again but more slowly” before lol. I don’t suggest the passive aggressive add on at work though lol

You’re allowed to change your mind. You can say you’ve done more research or come upon new information, so you’ve chosen to wait for now until you feel more comfortable. Or just say no I don’t have it and no I don’t know when I’m getting it.

i think the biggest problem is that we’ve been discussing the vaccine for months, and i’ve been expressing nothing but excitement and anticipation for getting it. that’s why people keep asking, i think; because they thought i’d be the first to get it.

the problem is, my decision to not get the vaccine does have an effect on my co-workers, so i would feel like a complete jerk by just saying “i don’t want to get it”, ya know?

i’ve put myself into this situation, and am prepared to face the consequences, but i’m still super frustrated at the timing of all this.

Honestly. No. Still no. I’m an educator, and it’s been made very clear that we are eligible but not required to get vaccinated. And if we choose to tell our boss/HR it is entirely voluntary. There are teachers at my site who don’t plan on getting the vaccine. That’s their choice. And how does it affect them? The vaccine does not prevent spread at all. All it does is decrease the likelihood of your personal reaction to covid exposure. So maybe in the sense that if you were hospitalized they are down a person, but omg. Can you imagine someone being so self centered that they would be mad at a coworker in the hospital?! And again, it’s like the consent tea video. Consent is not permanent. People can and do change their mind. I was adamant about not getting the vaccine until a few months ago. And I told everyone I wasn’t getting it. Yet when the time rolled around, you bet I grabbed the first appointment. I still vote just say you are waiting and ask people to be respectful of your decision and your judgement of what is best for you. In the meantime, you will continue to wear a mask and wash your hands and do your best to keep yourself/everyone around you safe. But this makes me so angry for you. People shouldn’t be bothering you about this very personal decision. And you shouldn’t be forced to tell anybody anything about your pregnancy until you are good and ready.

Like honestly. If please respect my wishes doesn’t work. We tell kids say stop. People understand stop. It’s a directive. And if they ignore it, literally walk away and don’t even respond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->