5 year old waking too early/not getting enough sleep

A

AndreZZ

My 5 year old has started waking at 7 am everyday on the dot no matter what.
We get him to bed by 9, but on the rare night when he goes to bed later (like last night due to having company over) he will still wake at 7 (actually he was up at 6:15 initially but I put him back in his room don't know if he actually slept or not).
Then throughout the day he is constantly yawning and cranky, I try giving him a nap and he'll just pretend to sleep or outright refuse.
I'm tired of fighting with him about his sleep, he used to sleep till 8 or 9 which was much better. Dont know what caused this sudden shift but he is no fun to be around with these early morning wakings.

His room had the blackout curtains, so it's not an issue of daylight creeping in.
Any advice?

I don't think 6 or 7 is too early, 8 or 9 to wake is quite late in my opinion for a 5 year old (is he not in school yet?) i think 9 is quite a late bed time for such a young child, especially if he is in school, mine goes at 7.30 on a school night, 8 on weekends. I do find though that my 2 both wake earlier in the summer, I'm the same. My 5 year old is never tired...which is bloody exhausting for me!

I don't think 6 or 7 is too early, 8 or 9 to wake is quite late in my opinion for a 5 year old (is he not in school yet?) i think 9 is quite a late bed time for such a young child, especially if he is in school, mine goes at 7.30 on a school night, 8 on weekends. I do find though that my 2 both wake earlier in the summer, I'm the same. My 5 year old is never tired...which is bloody exhausting for me!

I agree 9 is too late a bedtime the problem is my husband doesnt get home until 7:30/7:45 from work so he has that 1 hour only with the kids.
I really would love to get them to bed earlier but time with their dad is really important too you know?
I'm really hoping at some point my husband can get home earlier.
Thank ypu for your response!

We have black out blinds and curtains!! But my sons bed was positioned in a way that when the door was slightly ajar the light would shine on his face (even though all the other upstairs rooms had black out too!) we moved his bed so it was behind the door and he wakes up a little later. Probably about 7 as compared to 6. I actually found that with the school holidays he goes to bed later around 8-8.30 and gets up 7. I always put him to bed at 7-7.30 thinking that's what he needs but I think he's fine with less sleep, he is very active during the day and is well behaved as he has extra time with us when his brother is in bed.

I understand time with parents being important (my husband will be working away for 4 months this year) but I would prioritise their sleep, if it is affecting him to the point he's cranky and yawning, and other things to help get him to sleep later in the morning aren't working, I'd get him to bed earlier. Certainly during school terms anyway, sleep is so important. If he's like mine though you may find he's better in the winter, makes a big difference in our house.

9pm is too late a bed time and 6 or 7 am is a normal time for a kid following their natural body clock to wake.

It's unfortunate but you really do have to prioritise sleep. My husband also works crazy hours and he understands I just need to get the kids to bed. He makes himself wholly available at the weekend and tries to spend time with the boys in the mornings before leaving even if it's just 10 mins. If my boys are too late in bed they are just cranky and miserable the next day. They normally wake around 7 and Tbh I need them to wake around then so we can get organised for the day, nursery / playgroup etc.

I agree that wake up time is perfectly normal for a 5 year old. I'm guessing they are starting school soon, if they haven't already? Because I'm guessing 7:30 will be the latest they can get up for school, get ready, have breakfast and get to school?

I'm a teacher and I have a 10 month old, family time is important to me too so I am getting up at 6am so I can get my girl ready, give her breakfast and play with her for half an hour before I get myself ready. I'm home at 5pm usually so I do her dinner, ready for bed, story and snugs while my partner makes our dinner and we get her down to bed for 7pm.

Just to add I am a full time worker and my partner is a stay at home dad (for now, he does work full time but is at home for now!)

I would love to make his bed time earlier I'm all for it but tbh it's tough to get my husband on board. He already gets annoyed that I rush the kids to bed when he gets home and hates that I'm so scheduled oriented. It causes big fights and he really underestimates the importance of sleep for my 5 year old.
It's really really hard on me, I have no idea how I can convince especially once school starts.
I also have a 3 year old, a 17 month old and a 2 month old and an earlice bedtime would be beneficial for them also I just wish I could make it happen without getting into a fight/argument with my husband.

Oh bless you that's tough. My gut reaction is that they could go to bed earlier - 9 pm is really late and once school starts my son is even tireder so that's something to bear in mind. It's tough that your husband wants them
Kept up - but I agree with others if kids are cranky then they are tougher on you but also less sleep can affect their schooling too.
I'd try and maybe show him these posts? That way he can see its not you rushing them to bed but that others agree that they would be in better moods if they got more sleep x

What time does your husband leave in the morning? Could he get up at 6/7 with them and have family time then? His priority should be the kids, not himself

I was thinking that too actually...if he can wake earlier to spend time with the kids it would definitely be a good solution for everyone.

I thinks it's selfish of your OH to insist your kids be kept up late for him. Their sleep is vital. He can get up earlier and have time with them then. 7am wake up is actually on the later side already for lots of kids.

Good idea for the early wake up. I agree 7 am is a dream wake up for our five year old - a lie in!

This has probably already been said, but if he needs more sleep, try an earlier bedtime. My kids have been waking around 6 lately, so bedtime has been quite early, particularly for my younger one.

I agree 9 is too late a bedtime the problem is my husband doesnt get home until 7:30/7:45 from work so he has that 1 hour only with the kids.
I really would love to get them to bed earlier but time with their dad is really important too you know?
I'm really hoping at some point my husband can get home earlier.
Thank ypu for your response!

What time does he leave? The hour can be in the morning.

Ya I'm thinking the morning might be a good idea SarahBear. DS very clearly needs an extra hour or 2 od sleep...his behavior has definitely taken a hit.
We're gonna try out the morning routine next week and see how the kids are with it! Hopefully it worKS well

Good luck! Your kids will be so much happier once they're getting the right amount of sleep.

I definately agree with the others that 9pm is too late (as a regular night time).

My DH's work used to include getting in at 7.30-8pm. However, the boys bedtime was 7pm. There's no way DH would have insisted they stay up to see him as he knew that they needed to be in bed.

My youngest wakes up usually around 5.30-6am....regardless of what time he goes to bed. His normal bedtime is 7pm but on the odd occasion, will stay up until 9/10pm (holidays etc). He will be a ratty the next day so it's a rare occurance.

I've been getting my kids to bed at 8pm the last 2 nights as DH is out of town and wow! What a difference. Everyone is in a better mood and actually sleeping in later!! And another bonus I was abe to get a boat load of housework done with the extra hour to myself!

Agree with everyone on here, 9pm is way too late for bedtime with a small child. Especially when he's in school and needs that quality sleep to function well in school. Your DH is being selfish to keep them up just for his own benefit, when they NEED that sleep. I full agree that earlier bedtime, and your DH spending time with them in the morning rather than evening would be a much better plan. My DH works late a good portion of the year; he's a farmer and can have some VERY late hours during planting and harvest. We don't ever wait up for him, because everyone needs to get good sleep. He spends time with all of us every morning, and plays with the kids before taking them to the sitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->