5 yr old acting up and crying a lot

Jemma0717

Mommy to Landon & Liliana
Reaction score
I have a 5yo boy who is going through this stage. It's worse than and other age we have experienced yet.

Anytime he doesn't get his way, he cries LOUD and LONG. I mean the stupidest things. Like asking him to flush the toilet and he will say no so I will have to ask him again and he gets so upset. Tons of things like this!

One problem we do have is we have a hard time getting him to eat healthy food. We lived with his grandma for the first 3 yrs of his life and she gave him anything and everything he wanted so that's how he was introduced to that crap. Do you think eating the unhealthy food is making him act up? I think I am going to have to train DH to NOT buy anymore junk or bring any "treats" home for him. This shall be a challenge but I can't deal with it anymore.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Well not sure about the food, but I think him having his way all the time is most likely the cause. I think by 5 kids should be doing simple tasks, and doing things that are asked of them. They will not be able to do things for themselves unless they are made to do daily tasks. But having said that, both my older boys went through a constant crying stage at around 5. It is the age too!!! Hugs!!

Hi, i don't know if it's an age thing but my son is 5 and cries a lot of the time. Literally everything we ask him to do is a great battle, like getting dressed, putting his shoes on, eating his dinner, tidying up, etc. I've just about had enough :dohh:

I've sat him down several times and explained that him being happy and not crying makes mummy happy. I think he's starting to realise this now and is doing better but still has his moments. I just didn't know what else to do or say to be honest, lol.

My friends with children the same age say they are going through the same thing so i think it's just age and hopefully it will pass. But it's like he's a stroppy teenager at the moment. lol.

my daughter (almost 4) is like this! it is terrible. my DS1 is 5 and was awful but is getting better now. i think he's growing up. i find that positive praise works, and so does bribery sometimes :blush: a star chart with a reward at the end of the week can help. i need to start that again for DD!

Maybe it is just this age. My son, who is also 5, is going through the same ordeal. He cries at the smallest things. He has always been a good little helper and this (hopefully) phase has turned his little world upside down. I believe each individual child is different and has their own quirks. Hopefully, for our sanity, they grow out of this one quickly.:haha:

My daughter is four and going through a very similar stage right now. Or at least I hope it's a stage... I think a lot of it is the age but also we have to be firm with them and show them other ways to act when they're upset. I've tried reward charts with my daughter, didn't work a bit, the thing that seems to help is waiting until she's calmed down and then explain to her what a better way to deal with the situation would be. Then next time I see her about to get upset about something remind her of what we talked about before. It doesn't always work but sometimes it does the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->