5w3d scan, Only Gestational Sac Seen?

dreamer22

Reaction score
I can not stop worrying about everything! Anyone have a scan this far along or later and only see the gestational sac, and then go back later to find the baby in there with a heartbeat? The sonographer didn't act worried, she said it's common to not see anything this early, but I can't help but be scared there is nothing in there :( I go back in 12 days for another scan, I'll be 7w3d.

One of my sacs was empty, one had a heartbeat and the doctor didn't seem very concerned about it. I have read that is very common and even 24 hours makes a difference.

I'm trying not to worry because everything I have worried about so far has been fine, but it is so hard! I just want to see a baby with a heartbeat! I never knew pregnancy would be this scary. How does anyone ever enjoy being pregnant?!

Yep, very common. Try not to worry! :)

That's normal, no need to worry. I know what you mean though - all you want is to see the heartbeat. I had a gestational sack and a tiny, tiny yolk sack at 6w. At 7w gestational sack was a little bigger and we got a heartbeat!

It will happen! It may seem like a long wait, but give the bean some time to grow and a better chance to see a heartbeat at the next scan.

I had a scan at when I was suppose to be 6 weeks and only saw a sac. Then I was behind at my 9 week scan, but had a heart beat. My EDD changed in total by 3 days later. I wouldn't worry to much. At 12 weeks she was wriggling around and at 20 she was picture perfect. Now I'm just waiting for her to kick my insides out.

I had a vaginal scan at 5w5d only a gestational sac seen. scan at 8w6d showed a baby with arm buds waving and heartbeat measuring exactly to my dates.

Thanks so much for the reassurance, ladies! It's really eased my fears!

I know its hard to do, but i wouldnt worry. I had a scan a 5w3d and they saw a gestational sac and a yolk sac, but no fetal pole yet. Doc said that was very normal, and at this point the were not even expecting the yolk sac to be visible yet. Its true that just 1 or 2 days can make a huge difference. My doc even said in 2 or 3 days she expected to have been able to see the baby and heartbeat.

I had scan at 5 week saw two sacs with yolks in them. When back at 7.1 weeks saw the same but bigger both had heart beats. Went back at. 7.5 weeks saw the same bigger with heart beats. Went back at 8.5 weeks baby A had died measuring 9.2 weeks baby B had a nice heart beat measuring 9.3 weeks. Both babies have measured ahead since 7.1weeks one has always been a little bit bigger. Went back at 9.1 baby a was 8.6 (was hoping to see a heart beat even though I knew there wasn't going to be one) baby b was 9.5 weeks. Went back at 11.5 baby b is 12.1 I'm now 12.3 weeks I go on Thursday for nt scan

5 weeks is too early to see a heartbeat. Usually the fetus doesn't develop a heart until week 6. I went in thinking I was 6 weeks 2 days, but I was actually only 5 weeks 2 days. There was a very cute yolk sac, but until week 6 nothing is formed enough to give you much to go on.

Just wait until your next appointment, drink lots of water, take plenty of naps and go look at baby clothes. Let yourself enjoy being pregnant, and don't focus on everything that can go wrong, instead focus on all the the things that will go right :thumbup:

I can not stop worrying about everything! Anyone have a scan this far along or later and only see the gestational sac, and then go back later to find the baby in there with a heartbeat? The sonographer didn't act worried, she said it's common to not see anything this early, but I can't help but be scared there is nothing in there :( I go back in 12 days for another scan, I'll be 7w3d.

We only saw a gestational sac until my scan at 6 weeks 3 days. We then saw the yolk, fetal pole, and maybe the heartbeat. We go back Monday for what will be my 8 week scan and I hope to see a nice strong heartbeat! So no I think we all worry and have milestones we hope for throughout pregnancy lol. It will probably be fine and then you'll be wishing to get through the first trimester like a lot of us :dohh:

I went into the ER this morning with brown discharge AGAIN thinking the worst, and expecting to have an empty sac still and the beginnings of a miscarriage. They drew blood, sent me for an ultrasound, and did a pelvic exam. Unfortunately, at the ultrasound in the ER they don't have the screen visible to the patient and the sonographer doesn't tell you anything about what they find, so I had no idea if there was anything there while it was going on. I heard a whooshing/beating noise that was fast and wondered if it could have been the baby's heartbeat, but didn't really expect it to be. After being sent back to my room and a long wait for the doc to come back and see me, she came in and announced that my blood work was great, that she didn't see any active bleeding during my pelvic exam, and most importantly, baby was right where it should be with a beating heart! When I asked her about the noise that I heard, she confirmed it was baby's heartbeat! I heard it with my own ears :) She said I had a subchorionic hemorrhage which was likely the cause of my brown discharge, but she said it was nothing to worry about, just no sex or anything in the vagina until I get cleared by an OB. The moment she told me baby was there and just as it should be, a weight was lifted! :happydance: Thanks to all of you for your reassurance!

I went into the ER this morning with brown discharge AGAIN thinking the worst, and expecting to have an empty sac still and the beginnings of a miscarriage. They drew blood, sent me for an ultrasound, and did a pelvic exam. Unfortunately, at the ultrasound in the ER they don't have the screen visible to the patient and the sonographer doesn't tell you anything about what they find, so I had no idea if there was anything there while it was going on. I heard a whooshing/beating noise that was fast and wondered if it could have been the baby's heartbeat, but didn't really expect it to be. After being sent back to my room and a long wait for the doc to come back and see me, she came in and announced that my blood work was great, that she didn't see any active bleeding during my pelvic exam, and most importantly, baby was right where it should be with a beating heart! When I asked her about the noise that I heard, she confirmed it was baby's heartbeat! I heard it with my own ears :) She said I had a subchorionic hemorrhage which was likely the cause of my brown discharge, but she said it was nothing to worry about, just no sex or anything in the vagina until I get cleared by an OB. The moment she told me baby was there and just as it should be, a weight was lifted! :happydance: Thanks to all of you for your reassurance!

That is such great news!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->