5w5d scan, no yolk sac :(

Agcam

Reaction score
Well, after some symptoms yesterday, I went to the GP who sent me to A&E. As a result, I had a scan today.

According to LMP, I'm 5w+5d along.

I have a gestational sac, but no yolk sac and no fetal pole. The midwife and doctor were lovely, but said that they'd expect to see more given the size of the gestational sac, and my ovulation and implantation dates. I have another scan in a week, to double check, but I don't think either of them believe that it's viable.

Just trying to absorb it at the moment. I had to go back to work afterwards and behave like everything was okay.

I don't know what to say....

I'm so sorry your going through this, is there any chance of your dates being off? Also did they scan you internally because if not alot can be missed abdominally at that stage

I wouldn't stress too much at this stage. Depending on the experience of the tech, the equipment, your uterus location anything before 6-7 weeks can change within days.
If it were me I wouldn't make any decisions until after a scan at 8 weeks. Have a look at this site https://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/...sdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/&utm_referrer=#2798

Thanks for your replies.

Ladders - she started off with an abdominal scan, and then switched to vaginal, due to the position of my uterus and the timing.

RnW - Thanks for that link. I didn't know about that website.
The scan was done by a senior midwife, and she seemed to know her stuff.

I understand that it's really early, but one of the symptoms I've been having spotting for the past 3 days. I know this is relatively common. Nothing to do but wait and see, I guess.

I had a scan and they dated me 5 weeks with no yolk and then 4 days later I had a yolk.
It can all change in just a few days and it's impossible to know exactly how far along you are as you don't know when conception actually occurred.

It could go either way, that's the reality, but there's a chance it was just too early.
I have had both outcomes...in one of my pregnancies nothing developed and in this one it did.
I've had bleeding in this one but none in the one that ended.

Just take each day at a time. When will they re-scan you?
Mine made me wait 2 weeks but I couldn't so got a private scan a week later.

When is your next scam booked for? How have you been feeling?

Veganmum2be - I understand what you're saying. There's really nothing you can do, but wait to see what happens. I hope all goes well for you this pregnancy :)

Thank you, Penguin.

Ladders - My next scan is on Friday (one week). I can't fault the NHS.
Funnily enough, I'm feeling fine physically, other than the usual abdominal twinges which feel like round ligament pain. No more spotting. The nausea has come on (though it starts mid-afternoon and lasts all evening). My body obviously still thinks I'm pregnant. :shrug:

It's been a really busy weekend, since we've had visitors staying over and birthday parties to attend, etc. Not a bad thing, as I haven't had the time to brood.

I'll just have to take it one day at a time. We'll see what the scan says on Friday, but I'll be busy with work, DS1 and home until then. I'm trying to stay just a tiny bit detached until then, but don't think that is working :) I've realised that there's really nothing I can do/ could have done differently that would change the outcome.

Thank you for your messages. Although my DH is understanding and supportive, at this stage, it's easier for him to take a step back and look at things objectively. Communicating with women, who have a better understanding of the emotions involved, makes me realise that I'm not alone in this. :flower:

I agree a few days can make such a difference! I hope all is ok come Friday xxx

At 5+5 with my daughter we just saw an empty sac, it was an internal scan too. I think its fairly normal to not see anything at tbis stage. Everything crossed for you

I had a scan at 5+4 with DD1 and they saw a sac but no fetal pole. Had to wait til 7 weeks for a rescan and there she was with a little hb!

I'm surprised they are actually being so negative already. The amount of ladies I have seen on here going for scans that early and seeing nothing, with a scan a week later and seeing heartbeats is staggering. Seriously there's a lot of ladies who have been through that. Granted there are also some that have gone the other way, but to be so negative so early in is a bit pessimistic and not really helpful.

I hope you have a positive scan experience next week. Big hugs x

Thank you all.

The spotting has started again, this time a bit more copious and dark brown (sorry, TMI!). I'm also having a niggling ache on the left side of my abdomen.

I have a print out of the report from last Friday's scan. Turns out that the bean has implanted in a funny position (towards the left cornua). I'm not sure what that means in terms of development, but I'll be asking them on Friday.

When I had my scan, I was sure of dates, and I measured a week behind. Sometimes even when we're sure, strange things happen. Perhaps it just wasn't there yet... try not to stress. I wish you the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->