5w6d scan very small - should I worry/ have you experienced this?

Faylinameir

Finally PREGNANT! <3
Reaction score
I know the immediate answer is no you shouldn't worry but after googling it (we shouldn't do that lol) I've got a wide range of answers from baby will catch up to you should panic. Had an early ultrasound yesterday and they dated me 5 weeks 6 days GA based on both baby size and my last period date. They did a transvaginal to find baby. It's measuring 2.6mm which I've seen several places say it should be almost twice that size. Baby DOES have a heartbeat, they measured at 101 BPM and hubby saw it moving on the ultrasound (I was too mesmerized to notice :lol:). All doctor said is there is the fetal pole and there is the heartbeat. She said "we'll have to see what happens" which didn't give me a boost of confidence. It says on here baby is <1% for size which has me worried. I go back in on March 14th but I'm still freaked out. We've had 8 really early losses and this is going on 15 years we've been trying. I'm trying to take the fact at 5w6d they saw a heartbeat that was strong I should take it as a good sign! I'm just scared baby will stop growing :( Also yolk sac was 2.5mm. I didn't even see it on the screen. On my paper they gave me everything was normal except baby size. ADVICE?!

ultrasound5w6d-edited.jpg

Do you have another scan in a week or two? At this point I wouldn't be too worried as it is hard to get an exact measurement at this stage of baby. The tech can easily be off as the fetal pole is quite small, and if they haven't had a lot of experience yet, could easily be off. You saw a strong heartbeat for that day. I had mine and I measured 6w 5d (where I figured exactly as I know when I O'd and when I implanted). And my doctor says a heartbeat at around 100 is all they look for at that time (week 6). This little one was at 139 bpm, but keep in mind I am closer to 7 weeks at that time than 6). So for now just keep taking it one day at a time, enjoy the day that you are pregnant and see what happens.
(This is coming from someone who has had a blighted ovum/mmc, then a DD, then two chemicals, and then a DS, and now a surprise baby).
I wish you luck, and happy and healthy 9 months.

Do you have another scan in a week or two? At this point I wouldn't be too worried as it is hard to get an exact measurement at this stage of baby. The tech can easily be off as the fetal pole is quite small, and if they haven't had a lot of experience yet, could easily be off. You saw a strong heartbeat for that day. I had mine and I measured 6w 5d (where I figured exactly as I know when I O'd and when I implanted). And my doctor says a heartbeat at around 100 is all they look for at that time (week 6). This little one was at 139 bpm, but keep in mind I am closer to 7 weeks at that time than 6). So for now just keep taking it one day at a time, enjoy the day that you are pregnant and see what happens.
(This is coming from someone who has had a blighted ovum/mmc, then a DD, then two chemicals, and then a DS, and now a surprise baby).
I wish you luck, and happy and healthy 9 months.

I have another scan (probably) on the 14th of March. I'm being considered high risk given my history so I'm seeing the high risk doctor that day. The nurse told me they might decide to do another one then or wait; she guessed the doctor would do another one. I hope he does. I then have another appointment on the 27th of March with the high risk team again. I keep trying to rationalize with myself what you just said that baby is so tiny right now maybe she was off a mm or two. She had a hard time finding the baby in the beginning which scared the jeebers out of us lol. I'm sorry you've gone through all that but I'm so happy for your surprise baby! Surprise babies are the best! I never expected that test to be positive, especially considering I had just had one of the best infertility doctors int he country tell me "If you were going to be positive, it probably would have happened by now". 1 month later and no meds . BAM bfp

Life is funny huh? :)

I will have to say the same thing as butterflywolf. At this stage, even a few mm off can make a whole difference. I remember having a scan at 7 weeks, and then two weeks later, and the measurements were quite different (not normally different), and my 12 weeks NT scan followed the measurement of the 9 weeks scan, so clearly someone got some measures off at the 7 weeks scan.

Google IS your enemy haha. I had some levels that were high on one of my blood tests, and I read so many things that gave me an anxiety attack, and then my doctor actually explained it, and it was fine. (She also banned me from google! haha). I know it's BASICALLY impossible to do, but try not to worry too much mama! A heartbeat at that point is a VERY good thing, especially a strong one! And they saw everything. Some people need to wait 7 weeks to even see the fetal pole, the sac, and the heartbeat!

I will have to say the same thing as butterflywolf. At this stage, even a few mm off can make a whole difference. I remember having a scan at 7 weeks, and then two weeks later, and the measurements were quite different (not normally different), and my 12 weeks NT scan followed the measurement of the 9 weeks scan, so clearly someone got some measures off at the 7 weeks scan.

Google IS your enemy haha. I had some levels that were high on one of my blood tests, and I read so many things that gave me an anxiety attack, and then my doctor actually explained it, and it was fine. (She also banned me from google! haha). I know it's BASICALLY impossible to do, but try not to worry too much mama! A heartbeat at that point is a VERY good thing, especially a strong one! And they saw everything. Some people need to wait 7 weeks to even see the fetal pole, the sac, and the heartbeat!

Thanks guys! :hugs:I've calmed down a tiny bit and I'm really trying to resist those google urges lol. I think I ask my husband 8 times a day "baby is okay right?". I normally suffer from anxiety anyways, I told hubby it'll be a long 8 more months but at least he's understanding. Baby is kickin my butt this morning with the morning sickness so I'm trying to consider it a good sign, :sick:

Hi hon
I'm with the last 2 ladies who commented.
I don't think measurements are dead on early on. When I had my scan last week at 7+1 I was told baby was measuring a day behind but I know the exact day I O so I know that my dates are right.
I don't think I will get another scan now till 12 weeks that's when they give you ure due date then because the measurements are more accurate.

Let's think of the positives here.
A) you saw baby and you saw a HB. That's awesome.
B) ure feeling sick that's another great sign.

I know it's so hard not to worry and I'm a sucker for googling stuff to haha.

I really think ure be fine hon. It's good they told you how many beats per minute.
I was told at my scan and it was a privet scan I had to pay for. They said I can't hear the HB because I'm only 7+1 so can't tell me how many beats per minute.
All I saw was a blob (baby haha) with a flashing HB that seemed to be very fast.
Hoping I get another scan b4 my 12 week one but will have to see what the midwife says at my booking appointment on Wednesday.
I've got it all crossed for a sticky beany hon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->