6 month old only whines

DaisyDreamer

mama to a beautiful boy
Reaction score
I can't keep him entertained for moer than 5 minutes. It's up and down and toy after toy and he will just start whining after 5 minutes MAXIMUM. Even if I incorporate him in our activities he NEEDS to be held or walked around or whatever it is, it just isn't enough

Getting to the end of my wits between OH and me it takes us literally hours to get dishes and laundry done.

Honestly my kids can be a bit this way as babies. Even though this baby has older siblings to entertain her while I work on things it doesn't always work and she has to be held all day to be happy and that's when I put her in the baby carrier on my back just to get things done. If I didn't do this, nothing would get done between her and the older kids needing me. I hope you are able to figure something out to work for you guys. I know how challenging it can be!

I was also going to suggest the carrier on your back while you are doing chores. Isla tends to get this way in the evenings an hour or two before bedtime, so that is when I usually vacuum or do the dishes or laundry or whatever with her in the Ergo on my back. During the day if she is whiney it helps to get her out of the house, so we take the dog for a walk or go to the park in the stroller or something. I think sometimes she just gets bored in the house with her toys. It got a lot better once she was crawling at 6.5 months because if she gets bored she can just go find something else to play with. Prior to crawling I would always have to move her around and try to guess at what she wanted and it seems I rarely got it right, lol.

When James is like this I have to put him in the mei tai to be able to get anything done!

I would say that sounds really normal. No toy compares to you and of course, he will want to be close to you. I definitely recommend a wrap for doing things around the house, or for things like washing dishes, laundry or cooking, do those things when your partner is around. I'm back to work now, as my daughter is older, so we only ever have early mornings and evenings to get anything done. One of us spends time with her while the other washes the dishes, puts the wash on, starts cooking dinner, and we take it in turns, so she gets quality time with us when we aren't distracted, but things still get done. You'd be amazed what you can get done in 20 minutes of uninterrupted time and then you won't have to stress about it the rest of the day (plus, your partner, for example, gets time with him that he might otherwise miss out on).

MU, good point, usually first thing in the AM I can set him in the pack n play and he's good for 30 min or so for dishes/breakfast to get done.

I agree with getting a wrap we found an old school easy rider but eventually want to get a nice back carrier

My son was like this too. A wrap and a carrier saved me that first year. It got a little better for us when he started crawling and even better when he could walk, but even at almost two, he still whines a lot- drives me crazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->