6 month old waking every 2 hours for feed

That's great that she had a four hour stretch of sleeping in her crib! I hope it lasts for you!

I go by the definition of a 5 hour stretch of sleep as sleeping through. It feels more hopeful that way. We are prob years away from 7-7 so for now, I count 11-5 as sleeping through.

Hope everyone in the States had a nice 4th.

How is everyone doing? I hope someone here is getting sleep. We were on a really good roll for a stretch there. LO was only waking 1-2 times on a good night and 3 times on a bad night. Aaaannndddd now? Back to waking up literally every hour for a week now. He broke a tooth last week, i thought it would get better after that but every night is worse than the night before. Last night some hours it was even twice an hour. Naps suck now too. Its imposible to get him to sleep! Nursing to sleep doesnt even work anymore!! What happened?! There are a few sleep training/CIO threads right now which makes me feel really sad but also isolated. How is everyone else?

Me too! We were doing so well (for us) doing two 3 hour stretches then up every 1-2 hours. Then.BAM up every hour...

She's got two teeth now and has just Learnt to crawl clap and wave in the same week. Maybe that's why? I don't know all I know is it's horrible.

Apple - the new skills
Could definitely be impacting the sleep.

Sorry you ladies are in the same boat. Sleep hasn't improved here either. We have gotten lucky with a few nights of 2-3 hours in the crib for the first part of the night but those are few and far between. For the most part I am having to hold her for hours before she gets in a deep enough sleep to be put down in our bed...which means I don't get an evening at all. I am back to work and she is suffering from some separation anxiety from that.

I get very sick of hearing people talk about CIO/CC. People just think it is the magic solution and don't care at all if it impacts their baby emotionally. I am not judging them but I wish they didn't have to shove their ideas down people's throats for no reason (I'm talking about people in RL, not on the forums)!

Going to revive this dead to update. Mine started sleeping through the night at 19 months. Advice to those who are in a similar position just go with it, do what feels right.

We did sleep training in the end (last week) we had tried it before and failed as she wasn't ready. This time she was ready and very quicklt went from up every 2 hours to just waking up once and now just waking up very early and going back to sleep in our bed.

My daughter self soothed from the start so it had nothing to do with not knowing how to fall asleep in her own she just wasn't ready! Then she was into bad habits as she got older.

Hang in there mum's I'd love to know how all the other babies turned out now they are toddlers.

Thanks for reviving this thread! My 6 month old started her life as a good sleeper and it has just gone steadily downhill as she has gotten older. She has always been able to self soothe, for all her naps and at bedtime we put her down in her crib awake and she takes 10 minutes or so to settle herself to sleep, so I know she CAN self settle, but in the middle of the night she just won't. It is so frustrating because all sleep books and websites say the KEY to getting your baby to sleep through the night is to teach them to fall asleep on their own. Well WTF is wrong with my baby because she is a champ at falling asleep on her own but she is still up constantly all night! She almost always wakes 45 min to an hour after going to bed, if she doesn't then she never sleeps more than 3 hours before waking to nurse but it is usually more like every 2 hours. As the night goes on the time between wakings gets shorter and shorter. I have a video monitor so when she wakes I watch her and if she is just fussing but not actually crying then I just leave her alone, but she has only once or twice managed to actually get herself back to sleep (only to wake again 15 min later!). She has also started not wanting to nurse when she wakes up, she is just awake and not sure what to do with herself. No amount of rocking will put her back to sleep so I end up taking her to bed with me so she can suck on her toes and blow raspberries to herself while I try to nod off. Good night for us are when she wakes to nurse only at 11 pm and 3 am (then again at 6:30 am when I take her into bed with me and she will go back to sleep for a couple hours), but I think I can count on one hand the number of times this has happened. Usually up every 2-3 hrs. Honestly I don't mind if she wakes to nurse, it just drives me nuts when she wakes up and is just awake and ready to party. My OH is trying to get me to sleep train but I am just not into it. Especially because I don't know why she is waking. If she is waking because her gums hurt from teething or she has had a bad dream or something then I don't want to leave her in her room alone. I don't even like being in my bed alone after having a bad dream so how can I expect my baby to self soothe after having one? I figure she will sleep through once she is ready, and in the meantime I just try to go with it and take a nap every day.

My son woke every half hour every night for the first 8.5 months of his life. Then we did a 'gentle' form of sleep training. He slept through on day 5 of that. Now he does still wake sometimes but it's usually when he's ill, hot, cold, lost dummy etc (yes we didn't dare to ditch the dummy like the consultant told us to!)

Average night 1-2 wake ups. A million miles away from the 15+ we used to deal with

What did your sleep training entail JumpingIn? I want to start something soon but want it to be quite gentle

Everyone in my house is finally sleeping too. Some nights DS will wake up once or twice, but its no big deal anymore and he goes right back to sleep within minutes, and so do I. Other nights he sleeps through. We didn't sleep train. He was just ready to sleep. He slowly started waking less and needing less help to go back to sleep. The journey to get here wasn't as linear as I thought it was going to be, but the end result was still sleep. I did gradually night wean which I know helped, but I don't think it would have made a difference if I had done that too soon. It was so so so so so hard while we were going through it, but we did it and it passed. And now knowing how quickly it all changes I think it will be easier and less stressful to wait it out again with the next one.

Things have majorly improved for us too. Although dd has only STTN once (she was really sick so was extra sleepy), she often only wakes up ONCE or twice per night now, and if she wakes up more often (which does still happen) she is quick to go back to sleep with a short cuddle.

What solved things for us was night weaning. It was a complicated and NOT a linear process like ging said. We actually had to do it three times due to various regressions (sickness, teething, etc). When we finally did it and it stuck, it took an entire month of HORROR before we had an improvement. For that entire month, nights were so much worse than they were before and I wondered if I should regret doing it. However, we kept at it as we knew she could go without milk (she wasn't even asking for it) but is just a very stubborn girl. Once she figured out that there was no going back, she completely stopped waking up for those feeds. Unfortunately, she still seemed genuinely hungry early in the morning so we kept her 5 am feed which is what she typically wakes up for now. It has become too much for me as I am pregnant and my nipples are very sore. She will nurse constantly until 7 am when it's time to get up, and it's just too much for me. So today we explained to her that she is a big girl now and there will be no more milk in the mornings. The next little bit is going to be rough, but I do hope it will result in her sleeping even better in the long run!
And, as ging said, night weaning wouldn't have helped if she hadn't been ready (as evidenced by the fact that the first two times didn't stick as she just couldn't handle a night without milk when she wasn't feeling well). They do sleep better when they are ready.

Also: they do NOT need to fall asleep on their own at bedtime to sleep through. We still have to cuddle with dd until she is fully asleep, but she is able to put herself back to sleep in the night still. :) They get there at their own pace! I'm so glad we just waited and didn't do any harsh sleep training. :)

Literati-love- Congrats on your pregnancy!! So glad sleep has improved for you too!

Thank you! Are you and your wife considering having another one any time soon?

Congratulations on the pregnancy.

Mine still does the 5 am-7am nurse/sleep in bed with us but it's not too bad so long as she sleeps through the night. I'm going to miss it when it's gone as she will be our last baby.

Apple- glad you are getting sleep now too.

Literali- love- yes, we are thinking about #2 in the next few months!

Gingmg - That is super exciting! Good luck! :) We might be seeing each other on the baby forums again next year! Hehe.

Apple - glad you're still soaking up the nursing and AM cuddles while you still can! I am still BFing as well, but just down to before bed now. :) I feel sad to think of stopping! But wouldn't mind a bit of a break before #2.

Relax.. It is a common problem to every mother. LO has a very little stomach so you can't feed them more and this the reason they used feel hungry often.

What did your sleep training entail JumpingIn? I want to start something soon but want it to be quite gentle

Well it was really a case of weaning him off being rocked in my arms to fall asleep.

On nights 1 and 2 I stayed with him the entire time with him in the cot. I patted him in a heartbeat rhythm on his thigh. He screamed for an hour on night one and half an hour on night 2. I wore earphones. Every time he cried I returned and did the same.

On night 3 I began to leave the room once he had settled but not fallen asleep. He started screaming again. I left 2 minutes then went back in and patted until he was quiet. Repeat.

On night 4 I did the same but left 4 minutes.

On night 5 I left 6 minutes

etc

By night 5 he was falling asleep entirely unaided and sleeping for 6 hour stretches.

After a while I stopped with patting entirely, when I went in all I would do was give him back his dummy and lovey and leave.

Now is he capable of sleeping for 12 hours, although doesn't always. On an average night he will wake once or twice. I put this down to the fact that we didn't have the guts to ditch the dummy. It's always that he's lost it

Sadly whenever he is even a tiny bit ill he reverts to the old sleep habit, waking every 20 minutes or so throughout the night. Old habits die hard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->