6 year old with sudden speech problems

jogami

Reaction score
I'm so worried about my darling son I feel like crying :( He has suddenly developed a bad speech problem. He has started emphasising the "ssss" and "ssshh" sounds and dragging them out and strangely-pronouncing some words. He used to say them perfectly until a few weeks ago. I'm really concerned about it. Has anyone else experienced this and what was your experience? I don't know if it's change or something more serious. I don't know if we should take him to a OT or a ST or what I should do. We are in the process of emigrating and have sold our house and he is aware of the packing going on around him. My doctor reckons it's just the sudden change but it doesn't seem like it. He honestly looks like he is struggling to speak and he NEVER used to. Physically he is perfectly fine. I was so frustrated on Friday I sternly told him to "start speaking properly" and he burst into tears. I feel so awful :cry: Help!

Well, the closest I can relate, is my son started speaking weird at around 4-5 years old. Adding random words or making different noises.

We then figured out he had Tourrette's syndrome.

But he had symptoms before when he was about 2 years old. We just hadn't caught on until much later.

So I would say that it really could be the stress of the move and life being upended. Try and take it easy.

And I know it's hard, but try not to get upset with him. It could just Make it worse. Especially if it's stress induced.

Sounds like a type of stammer. Lots of kids develop them around this age - especially in times of stress. Google your local NHS & make a self referral to speech therapy to get advice on how to best support him. Do it now & if it's gone by the time you get to the top of the waiting list then no harm done & you can cancel. However, if it gets worse you're best getting some professional advice so you are confident in how to deal with it.
ETA: sorry - just spotted you're in South Africa so the NHS bit isn't relevant. But do contact a speech therapist! & try to just concentrate on what he says rather than how he says it. If he becomes aware of his speech issues it could make them worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->