6 years in the making, 17 losses

hedgewitch

Loving every day!!!
Reaction score
originally posted on miscarriage forum to raise awareness of the condition

17 angels but there is hope

firstly let me say i do not in any way want to hurt or offend anyone nor am i on here to gloat, a few people know my story and they have all said it gave them hope so i wanted to tell you about it. hurting anyone or making your pain worse is not my intention as i have felt the devastation of losing 17 babies one after the other over the last 6 years. for the last 4 years i have been in hospital on my birthday having miscarriages and d&c's and last year was a ten week ectopic so i know your pain only too well.
i have 3 children aged 15, 14 and 11 then i got sterilised due to being in a violent relationship. a few years later i met my husband and decided to try for a reversal a year after we were married. i was assured it had all gone well and we began to try immediately. within a month i was pregnant and we were elated but it was short lived and my babies heart stopped at 8 weeks, we were told it was natures practice run and encouraged to try again and we did. however we systematically lost 16 pregnancies and were never given any answers as to why. they all died between 8 and 12 weeks. all had heartbeats and all normal in development. i was severely depressed and ended up having a breakdown and we nearly divorced due to the situation. i named all of my babies. june/july last year we once again found out i was pregnant. we decided that we would see how things went and not go for scans or anything as i could not stand the devastation of the look they give you when telling you the bad news. everything went fine until 21st august when i was ten weeks, i just didn't feel right, no pain, no bleeding just a feeling. i went A&E that night and they took my blood and told me come back the next morning for a scan. i arrived the next day after suffering extreme pain that morning and was met by the doctor who told me my hormone levels were great and there was nothing to indicate a problem except for my white blood count was up indicating an infection that they would give me antibiotics for when i had had my scan. this gave me some reassurance and i went in for my scan. however the womb was empty. at ten weeks there should have something to see but there wasn't so i had to have my tubes scanned and sure enough there was a ten week foetus in my tube but my tube had basically exploded with the growth and i was immediately rushed to theatre.
when i came round my husband and i were told i had lost so much blood i had nearly died, i had been in theatre for 3 hours and had lost my tube but they couldn't understand why or why i was so ill. i was devastated. as were my husband and children, i looked dead due to the blood loss and being so ill. a few weeks later i was sent to have a dfye put through my existing tube to be told there was extensive damage and my chances were slim. we decided to stop there and move on as my body and mind could not take any more.
2 days before xmas day i got the familiar feeling of being pregnant and did a test xmas day. i was pregnant. i was devastated but happy. i resigned myself to the fact that when we went for the scan on 5th jan they would tell me the familiar sentence of we're sorry but...
they didn't.
i was scanned evry week in the early pregnancy unit till i was ten weeks, in the meantime they did some tests, simple blood tests and found out something that could have saved me the years of heartache and pain of losing my angels, i was diagnosed with graves disease. this is an autoimmune disease that basically caused my antibodies in my body that are designed to protect against colds and things( they fight the infection) to actually attack the foetuses and kill them as they saw them as being an infection. they immediately put me on PTU a medication to help this. the antibodies began to attack my thyroid and i developed thyrotoxicosis instead which means my thyroid is being destroyed instead. i made it past 12 weeks and was scanned evry week. at 26 weeks my meds were reduced and i am now 32 weeks. baby is fine. i will be poorly after the birth but and have been so ill throughout the pregnancy with weight loss and hyperemesis, ketoacidosis and nearly went into a coma at one point but its worth it. i have to have a planned c-section and the baby will more than likely have a few thyroid problems after birth but these will only be mild and wear off by 6 weeks. i have defied the medical experts and i cannot breastfeed due to the meds, i am also high risk throughout and will more than likely have early labour rather than meet my c-section date.
every week was a milestone and i just wanted to let you know there is hope. i will always have graves disease but it can be controlled and it is possible to have a baby even after the losses i had. as i said i am not here to gloat or to hurt or upset anyone but please remember it can happen. my thoughts are with you all and i understand your pain and wish i could help you all through it
i am sorry if i offend anyone, it was not my intention, if you have any questions please contact me
thankyou and blessings to you all
xx
i posted this as i want raise awareness of graves disease and the fact that my doctors were not aware of the disease so i was not tested. simple tests could have prevented the recurrent miscarriages.

I'm sure my cousin has this - She is now 16/17 and I know is due to face problems in the future and a possible op may cause her to be infertile.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story

:hugs:

Wishing you a happy final stage of your pregnancy - bet you can't wait

x

oh honey, this was one truely long journey for you. I can't believe the pain and suffering you must have gone through.
I wish you all the best for your pregnancy and hope the birth goes well
xx

What an amazingly strong inspirational woman you are.

:hug:

Such a amazing and touching story.I'm sure you have not offended anyone.You are an inspiration and maybe give some ladies some hope.I have lost 9 babies it never gets easier.I now have 4 healthy children but I have been warned not to have anymore.well I will never say never,

Congratulations and I can't wait to hear your much needed and well deserved happy ending xxx

4thbump
we were also told that we should give up after 3 losses and have a sterilisation but its just so hard to give up the thought of holding a little one, i agree, never say never!!
if we had given up we would not be at the stage we are now even though we have completely baffled the docs by being pregnant. but fate is fate and we have been given a chance and we have taken it with both hands
all the best for the future, xx

Fate is our destiny.

Every loss was devastating and each pregnancy came with complications and my health suffered badly.Even now I struggle but like you said that feeling of holding that precious bundle makes it all dissapear.I lost one in a violent relationship.to heartbreaking to go in to but that was the worst one.My youngest Abigail was one of 2.we lost her sibling at 13 weeks.We struggled to keep here but she is here and a very happy healthy baby.

I will follow your story.Take care darling xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would like to say I am very sorry for your losses.... and I wish you all the best with the rest of your pregnancy! You give me hope for things to be okay for me this time around :)

Brave lady , i have massive respect for you .

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: big congrats, cant even begin to imagine your loss or how excited you must be feeling.

Ps. having an early baby is nothing to be scared of either, trust me, my lil man is now 17 weeks and doing great he was born at 33 weeks x

What an amazing story. After going to close to 8 doctors in over 3 years, two miscarriages and still trying, I was found to have high prolactin levels and I feel that sometimes a simple test that doctors might be excluding might be the answer!

wow i forgot i posted this thread, when i posted it i was pg as you all know, well 13 days after this post my daughter passed away from multiple cord accident and was born sleeping 3 days later. she had a massive seizure and passed away whilst i was at my antenatal appointment, the hospital have admitted negligence, she was due to be delivered 2 weeks later by c-section
as you can imagine we were devastated. i am now very cautiously pregnant again, only 5 weeks but hoping all will go well.xxx

Wow, that sure but my troubles in perspective. Wishing you all the best. Thanks for sharing.

thank you for shareing your story its a true insparation as iam worried i may have that as how my mum explained it she miscarried before us and it was due to her blood thinking the baby was something bad and it is due to her blood group so iam very scared that i could be same blood group as my mum but i have told my OH that when we do go to try and have babies our first pregnecy could be a miscarrage.
again thank you so much for shareing your story and got fingers crossed your birth goes aswell as it can.

just found out i was pg with twins this time round and we have lost one due to a bleed we had on monday through till wednesdayhttps://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_6.gif, but went for a scan on friday and the GS is empty but in another GS there is a little splodge there growing strongly with a heartbeat. please please stick splodge!!https://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_3v.gif

oh hun, sorry to hear about one of the babies, but so pleased the other is doing well. Congrats x x

First of all I want to say Congratulations, you truly are an inspiration to us and your story will give lots of women hope. I feel hard done by with 2 losses but 17, I am not sure how I would cope with that and even if I would keep trying, you truly deserve this and I cant wait for you to have that little babe in your arms.

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. How amazing and I am elated for you.

Wow - i know there's a lot of women on here who've been through a lot - but my god - what is your secret - how you have coped, where did you find the strength?? I have had 3 miscarriages and am recovering from an ectopic just now and i am not coping - have lost 3 babies in 6 months....
I am sorry to hear that you've lost one of the babies but I pray you carry this one to term and have a healthy baby to take home xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->