ness you did an amazing job and should be incredibly proud. Does that drip mean you were induced? If so i was told that means you pretty much have to have pain relief because your contractions don't build gradually they hit really quickly and really hard so your body doesn't have time to get used to the pain. You're a brave lady. I asked for pethadine when charlie first got stuck (i was 10cm for aaages but had a sort of rim over part of his head which meant i was pushing against the same spot for hours bruising him :( ), i was also told that when he got stuck the second time if i was at a hospital it'd have been a c section for sure because he just wouldn't come round that 'u bend' so to speak but no doctors or surgeons at the birthing centre. They were an hour away from blue lighting me from huddersfield to halifax when he was born x

I was induced with both my boys being really late (lazy monkeys).. The drip=uber contraction pain. I HAD to have epidural with my 1st but was very proud to need only gas and air with my second.. The contractions, however, were so strong that I still have 2nd degree tears in my muscles near my ribs:nope:

Lily12 :thumbup:

I think it's all amazing :flower:

I wish that i had been a midwife. With 4 children and a DH lol i don't think i would be able to fit the working hours around my family. I love it and have watched friends give birth. Never seen a home birth though. I wanted one this time because of the fast delivery of baby no 3 1hr 40 minutes :dohh: Unfortunately i had to be induced due to OC :cry: so never got to experience a home birth. I am however trying to talk my sister in law into a home birth so i can attend lol. She has told me to find someone else to practice on lol :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

If you are induced (I had to be too) I don't think you have to have pain relief, but a million punds needs to be givn to the women that can do it without! I literally went from no contractions, to regular contractions lasting 1min, every 4mins in 20mins. The first one hit like a truck and I fell over!! That was not fun!

I had gas and air for the 15 mins of pushing and for the stitching afterwards! I consider my birth to have been natural as I delivered my breech baby without a c-section and without assistance.

ness you did an amazing job and should be incredibly proud. Does that drip mean you were induced? If so i was told that means you pretty much have to have pain relief because your contractions don't build gradually they hit really quickly and really hard so your body doesn't have time to get used to the pain. You're a brave lady. I asked for pethadine when charlie first got stuck (i was 10cm for aaages but had a sort of rim over part of his head which meant i was pushing against the same spot for hours bruising him :( ), i was also told that when he got stuck the second time if i was at a hospital it'd have been a c section for sure because he just wouldn't come round that 'u bend' so to speak but no doctors or surgeons at the birthing centre. They were an hour away from blue lighting me from huddersfield to halifax when he was born x

aw thank you sweetie - I just get very defensive if it appears to come across that women who have pain relief didnt give birth naturally and especially those with a section, it was rubbish. I'll be having an elective next time I never want to go through that again!

Wasnt induced chick, was overdue by 10 days and my waters went and 12 hours later was still only 3-4cm and my contractions had slowed down too much so they had to put me on a drip to speed things up due to risk of infection. I had an epi then and had to have G&A with it the pain was so horrendous, was exhausted and not slept in 48 hours so they whisked me down to theatre, tried two different sizes of forceps but they couldnt bring her down she was too high up (stuck lol) so they decided to cut her out, dont remember it was so out of it!

That sounds scary hun - least I was out of it so not worried though I did sit crying signing the papers for surgery if thats what they needed to do lol xx

I am really confused. As far as I am concerned, a natural birth is one when the baby is born vaginally but without forceps.. How can the use of pain relief deem a birth UNnatural? I had an epidural with my 1st born (but let it wear out before I pushed), and used only gas and air with my second. Both babies were 9 pounders plus and trust me, I felt NATURE in all it's power and glory..

I do think it is very unfair and insensitive to say every woman CAN have a natural birth. If that was the case, every woman WOULD but things happen and medical interference in aid of a baby's safety must always hold more importance and 'esteem' than a natural birth.

OP. I would say yes you did have anatural birth. IMO.

I agree hun xx

I think No matter how you deliver your baby all women should be proud..you carried your baby for 9 months and produced a human being at the end of the day!!! I am so proud of myself..and I am sorry but not all women can do it..hence c- sections/ assisted delivery, they are there to help women not to make them feel like a failure! I had a epi, gas and air and an episiotomy (sp) and ventouse delivery but I don't care..a baby still came out of my tuppence!!!!!!!!!! I had a complicated labour and a distressed baby so I am just glad she came out safe and sound and am grateful for my epidural as it made me actually start to enjoy my labour experience a little more!
To the OP....congratulations on your birth, well done!! xxxx

does anyone know what the medical definition of a natural birth is?

I had gas and air and some pethidine early on which had worn off by the time I got to pushing, but I was pushing for like, 2 hours or something with no pain relief (they took the gas and air away from me as it was hindering me!). I feel like I gave birth naturally because I had no intervention and I gave birth vaginally.

I guess it doesn't matter under whatever definition you gave birth, naturally or with a little bit of pain relief, you should all feel proud you got through something so intense and life changing, no matter how you managed it!

xxxx

Wikipedia classes natural childbirth as 'without intervention'. It goes on to suggest alternatives to pain relief including hypnotherapy and massage.

I had gas and air and some pethidine early on which had worn off by the time I got to pushing, but I was pushing for like, 2 hours or something with no pain relief (they took the gas and air away from me as it was hindering me!). I feel like I gave birth naturally because I had no intervention and I gave birth vaginally.

I guess it doesn't matter under whatever definition you gave birth, naturally or with a little bit of pain relief, you should all feel proud you got through something so intense and life changing, no matter how you managed it!

xxxx

I'd say that was a natural birth!x

its funny how this kinda thread always ends up in arguements. we women are very sensitive when it comes to our births! LOL

I agree not ALL women can have a natural birth. I had EMCS after getting to 10cm, pushing for almost 2 hours, discovering he was stuck and failed forcepts. His heart rate was decelerating and my blood pressure dropping. I COULD NOT have had a natural vaginal birth. Its taken me a long time to come to terms with this and even know i am sad.

My defination of natural birth is an unassisted vaginal birth- if pain relief was required then who cares!!!!!!!! Seriously does it matter??? I understand that you can and should feel proud if you had a wonderful home/water/drug free birth. But you can be just as proud of an epidural/pethadine/forcep/c section birth. We all got our babies here safe.

Not having a go at anyone here. we all did a fab job and labour is such a small part of motherhood (important yes but not everything) and what we do from now on it what counts. xxxx

In many tribal cultures woman leave their homes and go out into the wold to give birth. If they don't come back, no one looks for them.

I don't think it matters how any baby is delivered, only that mother and baby are safe and well as far as is possible.

I don't like the way that comparing births makes those who had 'unnatural'(!!) births feel inadequate.

its funny how this kinda thread always ends up in arguements. we women are very sensitive when it comes to our births! LOL

I agree not ALL women can have a natural birth. I had EMCS after getting to 10cm, pushing for almost 2 hours, discovering he was stuck and failed forcepts. His heart rate was decelerating and my blood pressure dropping. I COULD NOT have had a natural vaginal birth. Its taken me a long time to come to terms with this and even know i am sad.

My defination of natural birth is an unassisted vaginal birth- if pain relief was required then who cares!!!!!!!! Seriously does it matter??? I understand that you can and should feel proud if you had a wonderful home/water/drug free birth. But you can be just as proud of an epidural/pethadine/forcep/c section birth. We all got our babies here safe.

Not having a go at anyone here. we all did a fab job and labour is such a small part of motherhood (important yes but not everything) and what we do from now on it what counts. xxxx

your birth story reads exactly like mine!! Taken me a long time to come to terms with it too I still get sad now :(

I think nurturing our babies in the womb and when they get here (whether that be formula or breastfeeding - another sensitive issue for many women who wanted to but couldnt breastfeeding - again NOT all women can do this) is far more important than the way they arrive xx

xxxx

I'd say that was a natural birth!x

i agree. my pethadine was given like 6 hours before pushing and gas taken away so there was no pain relief. i ended up EMCS but still lol

I had gas & air, pethedine and an epidural during my 67 hour labour and i pushed my 9lb 10oz boy out all by myself with no assistance and i will challenge anybody who tells me i didnt have a natural birth x

your birth story reads exactly like mine!! Taken me a long time to come to terms with it too I still get sad now :(

I think nurturing our babies in the womb and when they get here (whether that be formula or breastfeeding - another sensitive issue for many women who wanted to but couldnt breastfeeding - again NOT all women can do this) is far more important than the way they arrive xx

with you on the not being able to BF. made me sad at the time but my son is happy and healthy.

I did not have a natural birth... I had an ELECTIVE csec! And I feel just as much of a mother as if I'd pushed my baby out. I consider myself a natural mother in every aspect - I'm my baby's and he is mine - doesn't make an ounce of difference how he got here :thumbup:

Id say you did it naturally. To me naturally is a vaginal birth with either no drugs at all or drugs that have no effect on the baby ie, gas and air. I personally wouldnt concider an epidural natural, or peth but everyone has different view on it.
I think people who have done it without anything (inc paracetamol, because it is a drug) are more likely to say that anything used deems it as not natural anymore.
But at the end of the day if your baby comes out your foof its natural.
We should all be proud. X

with you on the not being able to BF. made me sad at the time but my son is happy and healthy.

me too - I struggled for weeks to try to get something but I lost too much blood, think my body just gave up lol.

The boob brigade would have us think otherwise though.....erm you try getting blood out of a stone and tell me how successful you were lol.....x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->